Recommend a dual install for multiple mods?

Hey guys.....I already have a bunch of tracks installed. And I have the Blancpain mod installed as well ( Love it! ). I also have ML2166's skin packs for the V8's and so forth.

If I DL and install big mods like the Clio cup , Japan F3 , and other really good ( but big ) mods.......would it be wise to install a 2nd GSC on a different drive? Maybe split it up.....so GSC on drive F:.....could have Blancpain and the Clio cup. And then on something like Drive G; Have a completely new GSC install with the Japan F3 and another 1 - 2 big mods?

The reason I ask is because having only one install things may seem to get cluttered a little? Load times may be slowed down a little and so forth.

What is your thinking on this? Should I just keep everything together in one big install on one drive?

nah, id try for seomtehing like 3 GSCE's if you have the space. GSCE Vanilla, GSCE Blancpain, GSCE Mixx MOdds for ex. if space allows dont delete the zippped contents of blancpain or mikk mod; save them somewhere so you wont have redownload them shd there be conflicts somehwere..

I recommend 1 install with default content, and another new install (you can just copy-paste the whole GSC folder) for mods. While most mods seem to work fine together, I have had to reinstall once, and I've seen others have to do the same, when one mod causes conflicts. Most issues that were experienced with people installing the Blancpain mod for example was due to not using a vanilla install.

Simply put, if you have the space, use more than one install. I personally use three.

Great advice guys! I had thought it may of been a good idea. Glad to see some others here that were on my wave length.

I think I'll just do a full new install of the game on my other drive and leave it completely vanilla except maybe some of the good DL tracks available. And the one I have going now I'll just throw everything in it haha! Really want to try the Clio cup and DTM mods as well. The Blancpain mod imho is a great mod. Just want to see what these others are like.

Really cool to see GSCE gaining so much momentum in the modding community! I love it!

Agree with Andrew keep a default install, and other installs depending on the size of the mod or if I use it online. I have 4 at the moment only last week I tried to put all mods in one place, but had some issues with content not showing up. I have now all RD mods in one place an external mods in others.

Horses for courses as they say :)

I have 3 installs too. But I have saved a bit of space by having a separate locations folder. You only have to tell GSC where it can find those locations by editing the config.ini file in your GSC installation directory, and change the line 'TacksDir=...'
My line is: 'TracksDir=D:\Locations\'
I have no locations folder in any of my GSC installs, and it works like a charm. No problems at all.

I have 3 installs too. But I have saved a bit of space by having a separate locations folder. You only have to tell GSC where it can find those locations by editing the config.ini file in your GSC installation directory, and change the line 'TacksDir=...'
I have no locations folder in any of my GSC installs, and it works like a charm. No problems at all.
Thanks, I was wondering how to do that!

Default install, and then a separate folder for every mod.

Had a 40GB single install rFactor, and one day it just wasn't fixable any longer. Learned the hard way.

It's so clean with multiple installs anyway, I was kicking myself for not doing it this way all along. Also, if something gets broken in the install of one mod, you don't need to redo all of your mods.

I have tried this but I am not getting any of the default tracks, only the modded tracks. Am I doing something wrong, missing a step?

Same as you Warren. You solved the issue?

Guys....we can do multiple installs....as many times as we want right? I think there was a limit that Reiza put on the downloading of the files like 3 times.....but once we have them , we can install as many times as we want on the same computer correct?

Guys....we can do multiple installs....as many times as we want right? I think there was a limit that Reiza put on the downloading of the files like 3 times.....but once we have them , we can install as many times as we want on the same computer correct?
this is what I understand. I emailed Rieza and they said the registration is saved on you computer so you can install as many times as you want. I have a virgin game stock car install, A modded install where I have hundreds of cars and hundreds of tracks very organized, and a 3rd install where I test mods and settings to make sure they work before i throw them in the modded game.
heres how my modded game looks

tracks are set up the same way

@Jeff Huber, You don't need to download the game again just copy & paste (not cut) all contents form your main game directory folder, to a new folder then install the mod of your choice and name the folder GSC xxx mod.

You can do this as many times as you want, never had any problems doing it that way.

I have tried this but I am not getting any of the default tracks, only the modded tracks. Am I doing something wrong, missing a step?

Well I must admit that I have the same problem myself! I almost never race on the Brazilian tracks, and so I didn't notice the error. I can't think of a solution for this though.

There is another way to save space on your computer however:
Keep your new separate 'Locations' folder where you created it (as in my post above - friday 18 jul 2014 10:57).
Create a symbolic link in the GSC\Gamedata folder to that new separate 'Locations' folder
Then revert to 'TracksDir=GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS' in the config.ini file in your GSC installation folder.
It works with track mods AND the original tracks.

If you don't know how to create a symbolic link, this link can easily be done with "Link Shell Extension", a small and handy piece of software that you can find here: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html. Once installed, you just have to right-click the new separate 'Locations folder' and choose 'Pick Link Source. Then right-click the 'Gamedata' folder in your GSC installation folder and click on 'Drop AS' and choose 'Symbolic Link'. You're done!

Sorry if I caused trouble with my erroneous tip ~~

question. i have one install of gsce mods and all right now. if i were to do a copy and paste of the game folder, could i just delete my mods from that copy and kind of use that as a vanilla version?

question. i have one install of gsce mods and all right now. if i were to do a copy and paste of the game folder, could i just delete my mods from that copy and kind of use that as a vanilla version?
Yes, but I'd recommend installing it from scratch so it actually is 'vanilla'.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back