Recent updates and performance

Slalom823

RDTCC S10 Champion
I haven't been using AMS very much lately and there have been a couple updates in the last few weeks since I have used the time trials or the sim. I have also just had a hard drive issue and had to install a new hard drive, new OS, and everything else from scratch. I have noticed some issues when I used AMS in the last couple days. I am hoping someone can help give me insight into whether it is coming from the sim or from my computer. (Also I am running windows 7 and while I have done several hundred updates, they seem to keep coming in, so it looks like there are still some more updates available.)

First thing is that the fps seemed to drop and it was not running particularly smooth. I noticed this on Suzuka east, and I know that Suzuka can sometimes run a little lower fps than the average tracks. I had to lower my visual settings noticeably lower than before. Perhaps something with the game or the new sweetfx profiles could affect that?

Second, I tried the time trials for the first time in a while (first time with the shared "fetch" setup feature) and I noticed that anytime I did my fastest lap that there would be a very noticeable stutter after the finish line. Any thoughts?

Lastly, at one point I had the program seemingly freeze, and it was stuck on the screen with no movement or sound, and I could not escape or alt tab out, I had to ctrl alt delete, then it said the program stopped working. I have never had that happen with AMS, but a few days ago I did have pretty much the same thing happen on rf2. I thought it was a rf2 problem, but now I am thinking perhaps it is my computer.

I am not fantastic with computers, but I get along okay for the most part but this is my first time having to start completely from scratch. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Update: Regarding the fps issue at Suzuka east: I just tried it with turning sweetfx off, and instead of running low and medium settings that I went down to the other day, I inceased the settings to full and high where I normally run them and the fps was up much higher like normal. I then tried several sweetfx profiles, including the new default, and while it may have dropped a couple frames I was still running at a higher frame rate and nice and smooth. So I have no idea why it acted up before, but it seems fine now. (Maybe it just knew that I had people over trying it out!)

I will try a time trial to see if it still stutters.

If you're still having issues (hopefully not!) then it might be a good idea to post your PC's specs here too. That way people with similar hardware might be able to see if they're having the same problems.

Suzuka is probably the most demanding track in this game... But good to know you're getting back to where it was before! :thumbsup:

In time trial you will most likely still have stutter tho... It seems it comes from the setup sharing they have added lately: so whenever you beat your best lap, the game saves your setup and shares it on the web portal. Reiza is aware of the issue, hopefully they'll solve it soon! :)

That is a good idea Ross. Although, I doubt anyone on this forum has the same cpu and gpu. It is kind of a strange and bottlenecked combo. I have an intel q6600 core 2 quad core from about ten years ago, and I have a 1060 6gb gpu. (2.4ghz, with 8 gb ram, regular spinning hard drive) It has worked out to be a very budget friendly system though, and doesn't have issues running any sims.

Update: I tried running a different time trial and there were no stutters or issues. I then tried running the original one, but I could never get a time faster than what I had done previously to see if there were any issues. :) At least so far so good.

My biggest concern now is why did my the program stop working at one point. As that happened with rf2 as well just days before and with no microsoft updates between, I assume that was my computer not the two sims, as neither have done that before I swapped hard drives.

Thanks Alex, I suspected that may have been the issue. The first one I had a stutter with I did make some changes. The second one I just did I didn't touch anything in the garage, so maybe if everything is 100% untouched then it doesn't autosave and stutter.

I had that computer with a 7800gt at first, then a gtx460, then a gtx560ti, then a few months ago I upgraded to triples and a 970, and while it worked fine generally sometimes it stuttered (lack of memory I assume) and I got a good deal on a 1060 6gb and it works well enough that I'm quite pleased with it all.

Sounds like you had a very close setup with the 980.

I also had stutter problems with Suzuka the way to fix the problem is to change race start time from default to 1:00 pm or later can't remember where i read this but this fix works, i also have frame rate locked to 144 fps if i don't do this i also get stuttering effect if fps are more than the 144hz refresh rate of my monitor.

The game has serious optimization issues right now even beyond Suzuka, to my knowledge. I'm currently getting less FPS than in AC at any given time, whether with a 20-ish car field or on my own, and that's with an i5 6500, a Fury Nitro and 16gb of RAM (which should have no trouble with AMS as I get over 100 FPS at 144p with a full field in AC and 144 FPS on my own). It's definitely gotten worse for me in recent patches too.

Well I am thinking it may be my computer as it seems I may have the same issue with rf2. My fps was half of what it was and I lowered settings from medium to the lowest, they barely improved, restarted the program and it didn't help. Then after restarting the computer the fps seemed to go up to around normal.

Check the nVidia Control Panel and try to force performance or adaptive for the power setting. I can recall having similar issues with that setting on optimal power. Might help.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back