RDHGP S6 - Round 6 - Kyalami - 100km - 3rd Feb 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
Hurry boy, it’s waiting there for you:RDHGP Round 6

I don’t know about you lot, but I’m out of breath now, what with all the RDHGP events we’ve been running recently. It’s confirmed to me that bi-weekly is definitely the correct interval for these races – they deserve some decent interval and build up, most especially because of the vast differences in cars, and the way that we program the season, generally requires some preparation. Two complete races and no incident reports is a good thing, although there were still a few too many incidents, all accidental but some avoidable, for my liking.

For this leg of the season, we trot over 7,200 miles West, staying in the southern hemisphere, leaving Queensland on Australia’s Gold Coast and traversing the Indian Ocean, and ending up halfway between Johannesburg & Pretoria and the Original, 1967-1985 layout of Kyalami Park.

kya.jpg

Circuit Notes
Kyalami (“my home” in Zulu) is the premier circuit in South African motorsport, having hosted multiple South African Grand Prix, taking over from the East London Circuit once the F1 cars became too powerful to run there safely. The first race there was held on January 2nd 1967, with Pedro Rodriguez winning in his Cooper-Maserati, although this was in a field that did not yet contain the formidable Lotus 49 with it’s brand new Cosworth DFV engine, the Eagle Weslake with its huge V12, nor indeed any Ferraris.

Kyalami was also the site of one of F1’s darker moments, when in 1977 Welsh driver Tom Price came over a crest and hit a marshall carrying a fire extinguisher, causing both to be killed.

Political sanctions stopped the South African Grand Prix from 1985, and during this time, the circuit was rebuilt in the early 1990’s. This redevelopment meant that many famous elements of the original track were eliminated.
Due to the pulling power of the RDHGP, we will be running on the wonderful original 4.1km circuit, and what may be the highest average speed race of the season. Certainly, there will be many drivers looking forward to this race after some fairly complex circuits in previous outings.

A lap of Kyalami begins facing the Dunlop Bridge, and a long, downhill straight, which flattens and then begins to rise just as we stand on the anchors for T1R, Crowthorne Corner. The corner continues to rise and then crest into a blind apex, and will probably see some of the gaps opened on the preceding straight by the powerful cars being closed as the lighter cars can brake later and get through the turn under more throttle.

Slithering out of Crowthorne on the edge of adhesion, it’s a quick blast to T2R – Barbeque Bend. Fast, but negatively cambered, this is a crucial turn as it opens onto the second longest section of full throttle on the lap. Powering out of Crowthorne the track drops downhill and through the fearsome T3L – the Jukskei Sweep, normally taken at full chat, but with a high earth wall on the outside of the exit for those not giving it the respect it deserves.

Through Jukskei, the track flattens out, before you approach one of the technically trickier turns on Kyalami, T4R – Sunset Bend. There is a large earth wall on the inner side, making the exit blind, and as this is a relatively fast bend, that blind exit makes it harder to gauge the correct speed and turn in point.

Exiting Sunset there is a short uphill spurt until the hard braking zone for T5L – Clubhouse Bend. Clubhouse is a standard 90° bend, but is slippery on the exit, meaning patience is required to avoid a power-on induced spin. It leads onto a short straight before some more hard braking for T6L & T7R – The Esses.

The Esses at Kyalami are another “Corkscrew” type of turn, dropping down through the first part, and flattening out during the second section, but these are a bit further apart than at Laguna Seca & Birubi, so able to be handled slightly differently. T7R in particular is heavily positively cambered allowing the throttle to be opened quite aggressively, and it leads up the hill to T8R – Leeukop Bend.

Leeukop is a wide radiused hairpin, the Armco on the inside making the apex and exit blind at entry, but getting this corner right is normally the make or break for most laptimes, especially for the lower powered cars, as it opens onto the 1.5km long straight. Any time lost through Leeukop will be impossible to regain until the next lap.

Exiting Leeukop, the straight rises uphill, and through T9R – The Kink – where you throw the nose at the inside of the apex, full on the throttle and hope it grips enough for you to exit onto the S/F grid and under The Dunlop Bridge to start another lap at Kyalami.

500px-Kyalami_1968layout.svg.png

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting.

T1R – Crowthorne - This corner, especially on the first lap, will be tricky due to the heavy braking zone, cold tyres, vehicle proximity and high speeds. As always, be aware in Lap 1 of people as you turn in here, it will be slower than on susbsequent laps and very, very crowded. The different car types will also have very different cornering strategies – be aware of people around you.

T5L – Clubhouse. As mentioned above, this is a slow, simple corner, but be aware of the possibility of people spinning their car on the throttle. If they do, you may end up with nowhere to go, so be prepared.

All points on the track – General Items
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the race.
No Chat during the Quali or Race except by Race Control for information.
You may put your lights on if you are on a timed Qualifying lap to inform people in front of you. If they themselves are on a timed lap, they are not under any obligation to move for you.
The Track must be re-entered safely so as not to ruin other peoples races.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties

There are no incident reports arising from Rounds 4 & 5.

There are no drivers serving infractions for no shows – I have stopped awarding infractions here, and will simply deny any application from constant no-showers for any future Seasons.

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.) Accident reports made within 24 hours of race completion will be ignored.

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries

You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System

Points are scored down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

The Distribution is as follows for 100km events :

P1 - 25 pts
P2 - 22
P3 - 20
P4 - 18
P5 - 16
P6 - 15
P7 - 14
P8 - 13
P9 - 12
P10 - 11
P11 - 10
P12 - 9
P13 - 8
P14 - 7
P15 - 6
P16 - 5
P17 - 4
P18 - 3
P19 - 2
P20 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

2nd place qualify was a nice surprise,just like the total mob mugging down to T1 was a nice surprise too,a bit of a congested T1 it was but i felt no bumps and never saw any as well,it was all very very busy all around the first lap and then every lap thereafter tbh,nice room given by Bob as i gradually clawed back all those lost start places,Ralf was very kind to me with a bit of a "gimme" then showing mercy down the straight too i think? ;) (thanks m8),this freed me up to keep in touch with Andres who was well in the process of hounding Ryo who somehow totally unoticed by me managed to very stealth ninja his way up there from the start i pressume? 0.o,after a good few laps of us both really hounding the Tomato we both managed to work a way past as Ryan struggled to keep the lump in check on exits.
So i look at the laps counter for the first time and see we are on lap fricking 12 already,it went by so fast in my busy occupied little mind,so i started putting some serious hussle on Andre to try and wrench 2nd place from him,one excellent side by side run through the Kyalami "corkscrew" was quality but the pass never stuck that time,the more the laps counted down it became clear Andreas didnt have as much tyre left as me so i got to have constant attacks to try and pass,but couldnt get anything sorted out,some wild runs down the straight with a bit weavage going on to deny me the slipstream,but even when i got the perfect run out the final turn for maximum slipstream,everytime i ran in to a "stonewall" of my 5th gear with just not 1mph more to give,so never near along side for T1 :(.
Down to the last lap and Andreas is seriously struggling for grip allowing me to close right in on him,my plan is to get a run along side out of the "corkscrew" exit and block pass for the final turn,i have notice lap by lap this is where i have the real advantage on him....sadly our race has a bit of an anti climax ending when Andreas gets badly out of shape at T5L,for me its a case of avoiding a losing control car ahead,but also with the bonus of gaining that 2nd place if i pull it off,but i cant avoid the ever losing it car,i do try,honestly,but any more lifting off throttle mid bend and i will be joining him,i end up tagging the back of Andreas car finishing the job of his spin,i attempt the time honoured sim racing classic of trying to knock his front end back in to shape again,but that strangely doesnt work as good as usual? 0.o,now im left thinking what to do,.....i decide i never really caused this incident and it was more or less a case of a slightly failed avoid,so i carry on the home straight,Andreas is far back,i then decide to save any kind of "hoohah" and slam the brakes before the line and give away 2nd and take 3rd,i sort of half expect Andre to knock me over the finish line ahead of him,but that didnt happen...happy with a podium for this round when i really expected a big block USA musclefest and Capri show,so being on the pace (not counting Degreef) and having a 25 lap constant battle of a race was very nice.
Congrats Greg for being so annoyingly fast tonight :D,thanks for some good racing along the way Andre.

Big Thanks Stu/Carlos & RD

Very tough race in the Panty, not what I expected before the event and not the result I expected after practice either!

Couple of setup tips from Greg and gradual re-acclimatisation to actual driving saw qualify 8th after hovering around the top 10 in praccy too - could have possibly had 5th but dropped a wheel on the grass, on the straight stupidly.

R: Got a fantastic start, had already decided to use the tarmac on the left to avoid anyone. Well, I avoided Babij but Loffler was there too, so I went back on the track, only for him to swereve back across too! In the split second I decided just to keep my line as I couldn't guess him, I ended up giving him a gentle nudge, without this I would have been 1st into T1 I think.

Tom was lagging and I wanted to get past quick because of this, so I showed my nose at T4 and Tom ran wide, allowing Ralf through also. Held up Ralf a little over reat of Lap 1 before pulling away on lap 2. Greg was already gone, I was concentrating on getting a top 5. Ralf, Andreas and Gary were squabbling and this allowed me a 3 second gap but once they both got past Andreas reeled me in with 5 laps.

He had a bit of diffivulty getting past, naturally, eventually I succumbed thoughg, drifting a little wide at T4, with Gary sneaking through also. Chellenegd Gary down the next pit straight but he was able to hold me off, as I braked as late as I dared. I hoped they would squabble and I could keep up and they did for a couple of laps but I gradually dropped back as the panty ate it's tyres.

So in the final five laps, I was under huge pressure from Ralf and Bob right behind him if I slipped up. Was really struggling in T4 and Ralf almost snuck underneath me into T5 as a result on the penultimate lap, just managed to fend him off. On the final lap I took the middle ground into T5 and was safe to take a 4th place.

Pleased with the result, my pace could have been better but the Panty was a real handful in these fast corners, and my run was pretty much mistake free. Even the slowest corner the Panty had wrong gearing for (2nd too short, 3rd too long), so it couldn't show it's real strength, acceleration, there either while it's poor gearing also meant a stunted top end, though of course it got there quick and was strong on the straight, although not making up for it's lack of cornering.

Cheers Stu, glad to actually complete an event this time, has been torrid.

First, congratulations to the two new fathers, Dubravko and Dmytro. I became a first time grandfather about four months ago.

Secondly I successfully completed the course with only a few little slips here and there but I couldn't quite negoiate some of the corners as effectively as most which keep me off the pace. I was impressed by the skill showed by Stu when he passed me in T1/T2 area. I held a faster Senad off for a few laps I believe but eventually he got by me and now only Hans was behind me. Watching Xd I could see he would gain a little but then lose a little more and eventually I finished the race still ahead of him but our paces were very close. I believe now I need to focus a little more on protecting my positon without being an unfair drvier... the learning never stops.

Well done to all podium people, thanks to Stu for all the effort put in to this event and to all drivers for your driving savvy.

Had a good race, start was a bit iffy but my starts always are. Got stuck behind Tom for too long, but could not try a pass as he was jumping all over the place and didn`t want to punt him off. Lucky for me he went off road early enough in the lap for me to get a lead I could hold down the long straight and was able to pull away. Then chased down Ralf and after a few laps was right behind but with his excellent driving and better top end was unable to try a pass. There were a few corner where I could have forced it but would have been dangerous to us both so followed for the rest of the race.

Really enjoyed this race.

Thanks again Stu for organising and testing, it makes a huge difference and close racing. Thanks Ralf for quality racing.

This track made much more fun then Southerncross :wink:, nice flow, wide track - liked it from the beginning. In setup i really looked to have room for slipscream and good gearing, cause i expect to run with faster cars. Finally it was only Greg, but he was too fast and from start he was already away.
I struggled already at start and lost positions (was lucky to hold the car straightwards) to Tom, Ralf and Ryan, from looking now it was good to be in front of Gary :redface:. Tried to pass them as fast as possible but this wasn´t so easy. On straight was no way so i was forced to find a way for passing in the infield. T4 and T5 was best for that to have a little gap for the long straight. Gary ever followed me directly so i couldn´t make a gap to him as i really had liked to have. So to keep him behind 13 laps wouldn´t be easy. I noticed specially in corner entry he had so much grip, i had all the time slow more down to get the right way. And for rest of the race it wouldn´t be better. Advanced i had on straight, maybe cause i drove not much toe in in rear and front. One time he passed me after i went wide, on straight i just could go back on P2 otherwise i´m sure Gary would be gone. Next laps went good and i was sure if i stay on the line it would be hard for Gary. Sadly that i had this mistake last lap which Gary couldn´t expect and gave me the final kick. I saw it not necessarily that Gary have to wait for it but as fair he is, finally he did it. Sure i would be more happy without this last lap, not the best way to finish a great race.
Summary :thanks: Gary for racing, you was again faster, it seems ever so easy and my sh.. car won´t do it :redface:. Congrats Greg for the invulnerably win and also to Ryan on 4th, with looking back his very best result this
season :wink:.

Cu next in Nippon
JAP.gif

thanks guys..i dont feel very well..:)..my head is 2 times biger..and i maybee sleep few hours in 2 days...and tonight i supose it will be same..like we sad "klin se klinom izbija" (axle pin u can break out only with another axle pin)...so..:)))..the party go on....and thanks u guys ones more...

So, the race was for me quite festive, considering the addition of the family :eek:. Therefore, I do not really hoping for a significant achievement. In the preliminary training I did not like my conditions/setup and I was able to find something that liked to me only in official session. Although Jay and Carlos were faster than I do as much as 3-4 tenths in quali. Not really my type of circuit and I'm still getting used to P914.

Qual in 13th place. Start of the race I succeeded quite well. I even won a few positions. But behind me was David and I have immediately regretted about it. David, mate, I think you need to be a little gentler with the other participants. I believe that we have in RDHGP is pretty friendly relationship and I really like this kind of atmosphere (the rest, I'll describe in a personal message).
It so happened that I had to spend almost the entire race with David and Tom. They overtook me several times, using their speed advantage at the start/finish straight, I overtook them after their collisions on the highway. And because of all this, I unfortunately have lost enough time and fell behind Nigel and Amir, with whom I could compete for the position. :frown:

Well, eventually, David made a mistake and was far behind, and Tom, I still managed to catch on the final lap and take ninth place at the finish. It was very exciting, because Tom was not enough just 100 meters to "swallow" me again at the finish line.
:wink:
But I'm still happy with the race and result. Since I held fairly steady. Although I was too cautious in the second turn, because of what was going not fast enough (a little time for training).

Thank you all guys for the race.

Thanks to Stuart for his briefing and the organization (its a pity that so stupid to finish the race. Stu, when you're ahead of me early in the race at the first corner, you just flew into it like a rocket and resist! Super-man! :pray::D).

Don't even remember where I started (11th?) with a brilliant start (as usual) entered T1 at 2nd. Rest of race concentrated on no mistakes and a minimum of flow although beemer doesn't like turns plus most turns have do be taken in compromised gears. So again I was way off being able to defend positions. Looked at lap times after the race me showed up in lower quarter of the field but managed to reproduce them lap by lap within +-3tenth/secs range. The good start and quality manners of fellow racers given me P5 at finish.
One thing I like to mention Bob Miley Mate I owe you something, remaining P6 although you could have caught me more than 1 time presenting me the full view of the beautiful Capri full size in rear mirror.

Thanks and congrats everyone

Well after testing I new this was going to be a hard race, plus I new it was not going to suit the BMW so damage limitation was the order of the day.

Seeing Ralf's quali I new I was right in my verdict & the best I could do was 18th on the grid which was very close again with 10ths & 100ths separating the cars. After a safe start & taking it very easy into T1, sorry Senad if I caught you out, just in case it seemed everyone did the same so no incidents which was good. With Carlos right behind me & looking to get by I held him at bay on the opening lap but on lap 2 he gave me a little tap in T1 which cost me some places. Back on track with no real damage I started to get the places back I lost with again Carlos right on my tail. Back to where I was & making some extra places with those having there problems the race was on as I was now upto 13th. Carlos still on my tail I could use the strengths of the beemer on the straights & just get enough gap to hold on the rest of the lap. Then around mid race Jay had a spin along with Krzysztof a bit later. Now with Carlos & Jay on my tail I new I had my work cut out to keep them behind but that was my intention. Jay passes Carlos & so I have 2 914's trying to get by me which carries on for the entire race with only Krzysztof making his way back up the field which I tried to hold off but he managed a clean pass into T1 which I tried very hard to defend but the nimbleness of the 911 was too much. Back now with Jay trying to get by I held my line and used the beemer to good effect & with his good driving was able to keep him at bay even after once he got me on the last corner only for me to show him the straight line speed of the beemer on the home straight. Towards the end of the race Jay spun after he made contact with the back of my car which by now was suffering the effects of worn tyres. Then Carlos resumed his role of trying to make a pass for the last remaining laps but could never get in the right position too due to me placing the beemer in all the right places. Finished 12th which for me was a good result given the track wasn't the best for the BMW. Thanks to Carlos & Jay for a great race, top driving there guys.

Thx to Thommo for all his hard work during the testing & the running of this great league. Grts to Greg on his first win on the season & wd to the rest of the podi. Thanks also to everyone on the clean T1 & for participating in the league.

P.s. Congratulation Dmytro on your new addition to your family.

My race in pictures,

Greg on Pole blasting a way...
GRAB_000.jpg

Quali on p19 an had a so so start but hold my place,
blasting on the strait,
GRAB_001_0000.jpg

Passing yes........
GRAB_002.jpg

Bit to enthusiast
GRAB_003_0000.jpg

Waiting behind the fence to rejoin
GRAB_004_0000.jpg

Closing in again
GRAB_005_0000.jpg

Stuart lost his car
GRAB_006_0000.jpg

Then I lost it Senad an Stuart go by
GRAB_008_0000.jpg
GRAB_009_0000.jpg

So close an lost it a second time
GRAB_010_0000.jpg

After that close on Jack again racing for several laps an lost it for the third time an that was that no way to come back, Jack slowly walking a way second by second

In lap 18/19 being passed by Greg with a big lead
GRAB_011_0000.jpg
GRAB_012_0000.jpg

Fin the race on p18 do to some guys with trouble, but for me I had a great time despite my offs it was great racing on a track like this with a great history an the perfect layout,with a big smile on my face.

Thanks Stuart an RD for organising, an my fellow racers to be there, :D

Sorry for the delay gents, I know very little about making videos, so I basically had to teach myself how to overlay one video over another.

Below is a 6 minute vid of the last few laps. It displays Bo's awesome ability to put his Bimmer in all the right places while defending against Jay and I. Funny thing is, when we finally think we are gonna get through, Bo puts the hammer down in the long straight and shows us that the Bimmer definitely has just a bit more top end than the 914. It's too bad Jay had to spin and fall out of the trio, cuz it was so much fun while the 3 of us were going at it.

Enjoy...(you can watch it in HD720p)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back