RD Visit Blancpain, Summary, Grid Walk and an Interview

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Blancpain GT Sprint Series Grid Walk.jpg

In the last of our Blancpain GT Sprint Series / Sim Racing Expo videos, we take a tour of the grid and speak to the eventual GT Series Endurance champion., Andrea Caldarelli.

The Sim Racing Expo over in Germany was an incredible celebration of the virtual sport we all love, housed in the fantastic facilities at the German Nürburgring Grand Prix Circuit and held during the weekend of the Blancpain GT Sprint Series race, both the Expo and the on track racing really did a wonderful job of representing the best of both real and virtual motorsport.

Whilst the main aim of RaceDepartment's visit to Germany would be to bring you the sim racing news and reviews from the expo itself, we couldn't resist a look around the paddock and the chance to take in some racing action featuring these incredible GT3 machines.

We were fortunate enough to be granted some wonderful access to the pits and paddock as well as a very cool bit of time out on the grid itself, where we had the opportunity to see the cars and stars up close before the beginning of the first race of the day on Sunday, the Blancpain GT Sprint Series qualification race.

Now seeing as we had a camera and microphone handy, we thought it would be fun to capture a bit of the excitement and atmosphere of the race build up, and while we were at it have a go to see if Martin Brundle needs to watch his back on the grid walk in future years.. not too sure how successful that was, but either way it was an incredibly cool experience, and one I hope you enjoy watching in our brief highlight video below:

How awesome was that?!?

Last edited:
that sound at 3:11!

Aww man those cars :inlove:

Seriously sound incredible to listen to them live. Exiting the pits or braking down into T1.... duuuuude that was incredible.

I thought I liked GT3 before this, now I know I love it!

I've only seen these types of car at Silverstone and Donington Park before, but to see them on a track like Nurbs was incredible. So very, very impressed..

I hope u wont crucify me but i didnt even try any of those in any sim at all, but now i have to :p Somehow older cars like group5 looked more interesting to me. Luckily there's gtr3 race at Karlskoga this thursday

Im happy that you love it :D looks like a lot of fun

I see some potential here :coffee: , RD looks at bookmark events around europe in 2018 with small videos like this.
like : Le Mans Classic 2018 , Goodwood speed Festival, Talk with a few people, look at a few cars..
Sponsor breaks in the video will partly pay for travel expenses..
More people will see the RD logo = More members= More sponsores join in= And so on...
The highlight in 2018 will be that RD Video News follows Kimi Raikkonen a few hours in the days leading up to the Silverstone GP---okay I got carried away there :D----No I didn't I mean it :coffee:

• ronniej

Aww man those cars :inlove:

Seriously sound incredible to listen to them live. Exiting the pits or braking down into T1.... duuuuude that was incredible.

I thought I liked GT3 before this, now I know I love it!

I've only seen these types of car at Silverstone and Donington Park before, but to see them on a track like Nurbs was incredible. So very, very impressed..
Very intoxicating to be up close and personal. The sounds and the smell.
Look forward to more of this! Looks good on ya too, major network in the horizon Paul?

I agree actually with earlier posts.

I remember the guys who ran the awful Simraceway used to meet up at a few meetings every year, be nice to do that a few times with like minded folk.

All too easy to lose yourself in the online world and not realise there is stuff to watch people to meet and friends to make with a same interest.

I am not a member here as I do not like league racing and can find all I need without it. But I value the opinions of most people here and value the discussions and the way the forums are moderated. Far too many forums are over policed now but this place gets it just about right and are not easily influenced as many other sites are.

I agree actually with earlier posts.

I remember the guys who ran the awful Simraceway used to meet up at a few meetings every year, be nice to do that a few times with like minded folk.

All too easy to lose yourself in the online world and not realise there is stuff to watch people to meet and friends to make with a same interest.

I am not a member here as I do not like league racing and can find all I need without it. But I value the opinions of most people here and value the discussions and the way the forums are moderated. Far too many forums are over policed now but this place gets it just about right and are not easily influenced as many other sites are.

Thank you Rob and everyone else who has commented :inlove:

Totally agree Rob about arranging some get together with the community at various events. This is something that has been discussed at length internally many times, and is something we are continuing to investigate the potential of. I can say we have the appetite to do arrange something like this, it is just a case of sorting the fine detail and logistics. Will keep you all posted on that subject :)

am not a member here as I do not like league racing

Don't forget we do casual club racing too ;):):cool:

• Deleted member 387850

That view of sector 1 at the 4min mark is just incredible ... great video!

That view of sector 1 at the 4min mark is just incredible ... great video!

You know what, for a Formula One venue the views are actually pretty good all round the circuit. We didn't get chance to check out the full track, but the grandstand on the outside of T1 was nice with a fairly good view, the view you mentioned above was also great, especially when the driver change came round, and the spot just on the exit of turn 5 (?) was also nice. I'm actually quite impressed, far superior to similar sized tracks such as Silverstone.

Also worth noting was the sheer scale of the whole venue, the facilities and everything are frankly outstanding. Very impressed with the whole thing, top notch!

Oh and they have an old track next to it, bit long and boring from what I hear.. never heard of the place before so it's probably not important.... :roflmao:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back