ACC RD Racing Club | World Challenge Europe Thunders On To Simracing.GP [Deleted]

Assetto Corsa Competizione Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Skill levels and expectations
I thought I'd set out what we'd like to see from you guys (besides great close racing!)

Novice / Rookie
If you can get some practice in before each event that would be great! Even 10 laps with race fuel will give you a better understanding of what your car might feel like and how hard you can push.

If after practice and qualifying you feel that some of the faster guys will lap you - don't sweat it! Keep an eye on the mfd (set the page to relative not overall) and you'll see who's coming up behind you and how quickly they are catching. Our advice is usually stick to the racing line and let the faster guys get by but if you get an opportunity to move over safely and lift when you are blue flagged (on a long straight for example) then you can do that no problem.

During practice don't concentrate on fast runs with quali fuel levels. Put race fuel in and get a feel for the conditions and get those all important tyre pressures in the window. Make a note of the practice track temp, this will give you an understanding of what pressure changes are needed, if any, for the race. Generally take out -1psi for each 1 or 2 degrees of track temp increase. Reverse for drops in temp.

Experienced/Pro/:alien:
As always we encourage all skill levels to join our events. Being experienced we're relying on you to use that experience to know when to give extra room, when to wait to pass a back marker etc

We also really appreciate any help / input you can give to less experienced drivers on the forums.

These ACC races are all about getting regular drivers each week and building up a real community feel. I know we'd all love to win but you'll enjoy a good battle where you finish behind the car in front a lot more than a battle that ends up in the gravel :D

@SwannyUK - it might be to late to change but would having a rookie class and pro class option to select be of any use? just thinking it would give us slower guys a bit of motivation while being towards the back of the grid where we can still battle to be high up in our class

Last edited:
@SwannyUK - it might be to late to change but would having a rookie class and pro class option to select be of any use? just thinking it would give us slower guys a bit of motivation while being towards the back of the grid where we can still battle to be high up in our class
Hi Dean, this can be added but from previous experience not everyone liked it as some people that signed up for the am class were just as quick as the pro class and being a one man band it was hard to police.

Hi Dean, this can be added but from previous experience not everyone liked it as some people that signed up for the am class were just as quick as the pro class and being a one man band it was hard to police.
yeah it would rely on people putting themselves in the correct class, i was thinking of my experience of a league championship i was involved in, we had pro, silver, rookie splits and even though people like myself were finishing 28th overall for example i was finishing 3rd in my class so it kept me motivated. they did have qualifying races before hand though to determine classes.
i'm sure it will be good fun either way!

I like the idea of 2 classes, as you say it gives everyone something to aim at.

I'd be happy to arrange that but would need someone to monitor the classes and help set up rules for it.

Skill levels and expectations
I thought I'd set out what we'd like to see from you guys (besides great close racing!)

Novice / Rookie
If you can get some practice in before each event that would be great! Even 10 laps with race fuel will give you a better understanding of what your car might feel like and how hard you can push.

If after practice and qualifying you feel that some of the faster guys will lap you - don't sweat it! Keep an eye on the mfd (set the page to relative not overall) and you'll see who's coming up behind you and how quickly they are catching. Our advice is usually stick to the racing line and let the faster guys get by but if you get an opportunity to move over safely and lift when you are blue flagged (on a long straight for example) then you can do that no problem.

During practice don't concentrate on fast runs with quali fuel levels. Put race fuel in and get a feel for the conditions and get those all important tyre pressures in the window. Make a note of the practice track temp, this will give you an understanding of what pressure changes are needed, if any, for the race. Generally take out -1psi for each 1 or 2 degrees of track temp increase. Reverse for drops in temp.

Experienced/Pro/:alien:
As always we encourage all skill levels to join our events. Being experienced we're relying on you to use that experience to know when to give extra room, when to wait to pass a back marker etc

We also really appreciate any help / input you can give to less experienced drivers on the forums.

These ACC races are all about getting regular drivers each week and building up a real community feel. I know we'd all love to win but you'll enjoy a good battle where you finish behind the car in front a lot more than a battle that ends up in the gravel :D
Good advice Chris.

I am relatively new to sim racing, call me a pandemic adopter. I've always dabbled in driving games but never raced online before RD. My experience for what it is worth for anybody newer.

Practice is king. Little and often works for me. 30 or 40 min stints builds the muscle memory, learns braking markers etc.. Run a tank of fuel down, don't perpetually hotlap and reset to get the ultimate time.

Don't mess with setup until you are consistent in the car. Tyre pressures, aero, arbs, ride height are mostly what I change but if you are not consistent you cannot best judge the results. I can assure you in the early races you will benefit far more from practicing than you will fiddling with setups.

Stick to a single car for a while. I don't chop and change them for tracks, learn to use one car well (unless you like variety of course) but unless you are also driving them fully on the limit the differences will not be that beneficial to your overall race performance. Some cars are stronger on certain tracks but it doesn't mean you will be by swapping.

Ignore laptimes of other drivers. With a grid of 10 or more I have not had a race yet where I was not competing with somebody back or front of the field. We are here for the racing not to set laptimes.

I started at the back and got lapped by most in my first few months. I never quit the race, I just tried to follow those lapping me and watched what they did. 45 mins is a long time and you will even often pick up places as people go off first few laps.

Be patient when looking to overtake, sometimes a weakness in the car in front gives you only one shot a lap unless they make a mistake. If you miss it wait and line it up again, it can take many laps even if you are much quicker, don't compensate with a dive of frustration. Sometimes you get stuck behind slower cars if you lose position, that's racing.

Be aware of others around you, not just the radar but where are they in their stint. Is it a blue flag and they are in a fight, are they pushing for a pole lap and you are warming up on the outlap and know you are significantly slower. It's courteous to others racing with you.

The complexity of car control and driving coaching is for professional YouTubers not me but my top tips would be..

Try not to lose momentum and be full on the throttle as early as possible out of corners. If you have to coast through a corner before you can fully apply the throttle then brake later. That's a rough approach with caveats of course but it's what I focus on when trying to knock time off.

All my opinion of course but having only recently started and progressed myself I though it might help.

Last edited:
Good advice Chris.

I am relatively new to sim racing, call me a pandemic adopter. I've always dabbled in driving games but never raced online before RD. My experience for what it is worth for anybody newer.

Practice is king. Little and often works for me. 30 or 40 min stints builds the muscle memory, learns braking markers etc.. Run a tank of fuel down, don't perpetually hotlap and reset to get the ultimate time.

Don't mess with setup until you are consistent in the car. Tyre pressures, aero, arbs, ride height are mostly what I change but if you are not consistent you cannot best judge the results. I can assure you in the early races you will benefit far more from practicing than you will fiddling with setups.

Stick to a single car for a while. I don't chop and change them for tracks, learn to use one car well (unless you like variety of course) but unless you are also driving them fully on the limit the differences will not be that beneficial to your overall race performance. Some cars are stronger on certain tracks but it doesn't mean you will be by swapping.

Ignore laptimes of other drivers. With a grid of 10 or more I have not had a race yet where I was not competing with somebody back or front of the field. We are here for the racing not to set laptimes.

I started at the back and got lapped by most in my first few months. I never quit the race, I just tried to follow those lapping me and watched what they did. 45 mins is a long time and you will even often pick up places as people go off first few laps.

Be patient when looking to overtake, sometimes a weakness in the car in front gives you only one shot a lap unless they make a mistake. If you miss it wait and line it up again, it can take many laps even if you are much quicker, don't compensate with a dive of frustration. Sometimes you get stuck behind slower cars if you lose position, that's racing.

Be aware of others around you, not just the radar but where are they in their stint. Is it a blue flag and they are in a fight, are they pushing for a pole lap and you are warming up on the outlap and know you are significantly slower. It's courteous to others racing with you.

The complexity of car control and driving coaching is for professional YouTubers not me but my top tips would be..

Try not to lose momentum and be full on the throttle as early as possible out of corners. If you have to coast through a corner before you can fully apply the throttle then brake later. That's a rough approach with caveats of course but it's what I focus on when trying to knock time off.

All my opinion of course but having only recently started and progressed myself I though it might help.
That's a fantastic write up. Spot on and very helpful.

Been awhile since doing some virtual racing here at RD, but recently got bitten by the racing bug again.
Started having a look into ACC and really like the experience. Strictly offline so far though.
Hope you don´t mind joining me some of the races of this series to try the MP aspect of the sim?!
More the merrier, get signed up :)

Any problems with the sign up process just let us know.

Last edited:
Monza
Has anyone put any practice laps in yet? I thought I'd see how the Porsche felt after I finished work - it's going to be a long race for me ha! With downforce levels that make it stable in the corners I lose all the time on the straights so that's not going to work. Lower downforce is faster but she's a bit of a handful!

Last edited:
Monza
Has anyone put any practice laps in yet? I thought I'd see how the Porsche felt after I finished work - it's going to be a long race for me ha! With downforce levels that make it stable in the corners I lose all the time on the straights so that's not going to work. Lower downforce is faster but she's a bit of a handful!
I didn't manage as much practice as I would have liked. Got partway through a race weekend simulation on the Aston V8 but decided to try some other cars to see what suited me best.

I do quite like the Porsche as it's nimble but too dangerous for my current level on ACC. I settled on the Lambo as I was quickest, most consistent and kept it on track the best.

I suspect I am quite slow but I should be ok to race on Wednesday.

I didn't manage as much practice as I would have liked. Got partway through a race weekend simulation on the Aston V8 but decided to try some other cars to see what suited me best.

I do quite like the Porsche as it's nimble but too dangerous for my current level on ACC. I settled on the Lambo as I was quickest, most consistent and kept it on track the best.

I suspect I am quite slow but I should be ok to race on Wednesday.
Lambo is good choice for Monza, it is in AC with low downforce high speed tracks. I just don't seem to be any good it in (yet to try in ACC though).

Monza
Yes, I did a couple of practise stints over the weekend. The Aston is relatively stable under low or no aero but I do struggle through the lesmos and variante ascari to get good exits.

Yes, I did a couple of practise stints over the weekend. The Aston is relatively stable under low or no aero but I do struggle through the lesmos and variante ascari to get good exits.
Having raced the Mazda MX5 a lot in AC I am struggling with the weight and power of the GT3s in ACC. I am finding a preference for nimble cars. The Aston was OK but I didn't feel comfortable once I tried to push it. The Lambo seemed to suit my driving style better so I think I will stick to that.

monza.jpg

As the event on Wednesday is a pre-series warm up I'd like to float the idea of "gentleman's agreement" for lap 1 - T1.

We stick to the side of the track we are on when entering the braking zone for T1 at the start of the race. Stay on that line through and just after the chicane then crack on as normal.

If somehow you end up 3 wide heading in to the corner it would be up to the guy in the middle to try and filter left or right.

In the braking zone leave a good margin of space to the car in front so you have plenty of time to brake.

I'm hoping this will avoid any race ending crashes. It's 45minutes so just take extra care navigating this on lap 1 please and don't forget the radar will help massively with this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play