• 6slot1_URT Dry Grav Med Gears.lsp
    23.5 KB · Views: 990
  • 6slot2_URT Dry Grav Long Gears.lsp
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,052
  • 6slot4_URT Wet Grav Shrt Gears.lsp
    23.5 KB · Views: 829
  • 6slot5_URT Wet Grav Med Gears.lsp
    23.5 KB · Views: 913
I've just installed RSRBR 2012, car packs and tracks and again this year my Saved Games folder contains plenty of folders but no .lsp files. Frankly I find this whole setup thing a bit of a black art. I don't think I have ever found a setup online that I was able to install properly. The setups given to me by the game all feel the same so it doesn't seem to matter what car I drive. Of course, this could all be me. I've had RBR since 2004 and RSRBR since 2008. I'm thinking the RSRBR series is unnecessarily confusing. Information is scattered all over the site and I've never managed to become comfortable with it. Any guidance will be appreciated!

The game doesn't provide you with any default setups in the Saved Games Folder, you have to create them yourself by saving a setup in-game. Or you could add some downloaded ones there, but there aren't too many available. We try to encourage the top drivers to post their setups, but they seem to be reluctant to share.

Most of the default setups are pretty good as a starting point, although there are a few cars that are not well setup.
It's best to get used to driving the stages with mainly default setup before fiddling too much into the "black art" (it is a bit like that for me too). I mainly start by adjusting the brake pressures to get the bias better balanced, mainly moving the bias forward, many of the default setups are set to be very loose under brakes and making the rear end let go if you hit the skids too hard.
I also adjust the gear settings to suit the stage.
If you want to understand the "black art" better, the game manual has a good description of each setting.

If you search through this Forum or the main RBR Forum, there are a few good articles, particularly re steering ratios and tuning the steering, I found those helpful.

The game doesn't provide you with any default setups in the Saved Games Folder, you have to create them yourself by saving a setup in-game. Or you could add some downloaded ones there, but there aren't too many available. We try to encourage the top drivers to post their setups, but they seem to be reluctant to share.

Most of the default setups are pretty good as a starting point, although there are a few cars that are not well setup.
It's best to get used to driving the stages with mainly default setup before fiddling too much into the "black art" (it is a bit like that for me too). I mainly start by adjusting the brake pressures to get the bias better balanced, mainly moving the bias forward, many of the default setups are set to be very loose under brakes and making the rear end let go if you hit the skids too hard.
I also adjust the gear settings to suit the stage.
If you want to understand the "black art" better, the game manual has a good description of each setting.

If you search through this Forum or the main RBR Forum, there are a few good articles, particularly re steering ratios and tuning the steering, I found those helpful.

Well, that was quick and very appreciated! After I sent the thread I began to think this was the case. I have the manual right in front of me. Will study hard...Thanks, Warren Lee

I am not a big fan of online racing or career modes. I always drive alone and race against the clock. Right now I am trying to tame Hualapai II. My best time is 4:05 and after watching many of the videos posted online, I'm right in the mix. But the stage record is 3:30 and I can't conceive of that being possible. So I have to wonder: Is there cheating going on here? If not, then what could their setups possibly be? I'm not the best or worst but I did beat the Rally School test with a 1:20.9. Are the stage records realistic or arbitrary? Are there people who are really that good?

There is no cheating. At Rallyesim official championships, those times are beaten by 20 seconds or more sometimes, the default records are supposed to be realistic.

Cheers
I know at Rallyesim the cars have to be inspected before entering so I don't suspect them of cheating at all. But I'm scratching my head as to how they do times like those. I remember that there used to be a drop-in file that would let you drive RBR like an F1 car. I tried it once and the times were astonishing but nowhere near the real experience I was looking for when I bought the game. I found it shortly after RBR debuted back in '04 but haven't seen it since. I probably shouldn't have used the word "cheating". For that I apologize!

Alas Lee I was like you a year and a half ago.... Sadly i went through the 'cheating phase' followed by a woeful trip down the 'tweaking my own set-up' route, only to discover that it was just lack of talent (and gawd knows how many hours of practice).
Playing on your own against the polluter does not, unfortunately, introduce you to likes of the talented drivers you will meet here.

Whats reaaaaaaaaaaaally gonna make you cry is when you do get involved, you have set your first rd rbr stage time, sitting there all itchy in your flame retarding underpants and racing hat thinking you have done well and then find out you got beat by someone on a keyboard and who was probably watching tv or surfing the web whilst kicking your ass. Sure does humble one, racing here lol.

Plus side is that it makes it all alot more intense trying to compete with the 'aliens' we have here.....

So to answer, yes they are really that good (and I am not lmao!)

Hope to see you this season!

They are just people who are good at it, and have driven those stages hundreds of times.

Don't know what the Chirdonhead record is, but this is science fiction for me:

Confirmed! Aliens have invaded the planet and they come bearing steering wheels! And while I am calmly sitting here eating my humble pie with a side of crow, THEY ARE TAKING OVER! I say we go find these people and put a stop to this insidieous invasion! Light your torches men...we're off to Dr. Frankenstein's castle!

My God this guy is good! So I guess I'll just have to put aside my paranoia and dreams of secret setups and covert little programs. This video is the first I've seen by someone at the top level. Good for him! (the little punk;))

I'm coming back down to earth now.....(boy, the ground comes up real fast when you don't have a parachute)

But seriously, thanks to all for the input. You've all been very patient. If I can work up the guts, I'll see you on line!

I'm coming back down to earth now.....(boy, the ground comes up real fast when you don't have a parachute)

But seriously, thanks to all for the input. You've all been very patient. If I can work up the guts, I'll see you on line!

The good news Lee, not everybody is like that, in fact very few of us are. :rolleyes:
If you join us on-line in the Rally Club, or the RDRC, you are sure to find plenty of mere mortals to race with, we cover all skill levels. Many of us are just hoping to finish most of the stages in one piece.
BTW, you WILL get much better with practice and experience with the stages, the learning curve with RBR is pretty steep, but it sure is an enjoyable education if you are patient and can keep your self control. ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back