Random fps lag/drop - video of it

So I was in an online race earlier at Bathurst and once about 50+ minutes into the race, the frame rate began to deteriorate very badly.
My system is running a rtx 3090, i9 12900k and 32gb of DDR5 ram. I am using a 3440*1440 single screen and regularly run on anything from 120-144 fps, everything on epic and with full grids.

Video of it here (may take a little time for YT to process the HD version to see it clearly):

However, in a race this evening, everything came to a crawl. As the sun was rising on the track, my frames dipped to about 100-110fps. But the actual frame rate was much lower. There was small stutters and it felt like 20 fps, it was really that bad.
The GPU was showing 20-50% useage in some areas. The CPU was not throttled, running at approx 50c (average of all cores) and p cores were running at around 5400mhz, all core of about 5200mhz...normal for my machine.

I had to retire from the race in the end. The interesting thing is the replay file from the race also shows this behaviour. At the start of the race with a full grid, everything is smooth. Near the end of the race, the fps goes very, very poor....even on the replay file.
Maybe it is just the track and the sun settings. My system usually runs everything on max settings without much difficulty.

Is there something up with sunrise at bathurst, or maybe it is just not optimised very well....or is a long replay file causing issues?
I am guessing repays are dumped into ram?
Race was about 45 minutes in when I had this issue....but I have had other races which were longer and did not have this issue. Again, and online race.

Thanks.

We have nearly the same specs, (running 5K on a 49" and 64g's of DDR5 6000 being the only difference that matter much- 32g is ABSOLUTELY faster as 4 channels are currently slower on most 690 motherboards) - at any rate - Laguna Seca does the same thing when the sun comes through the tunnel early in the morning. It's completely relative to sun position and shadows. I can literally duplicate it and even STOP on track just before the bridge and the computer chokes with NO other cars on track.. I go from 90fps (which is what I have my limit set at) to 27-35fps and just sticks there on that spot of the track.

At first I thought maybe my overclock was giving me issues but if I am running at 5.4Ghz on the 12900 and the gpu has about 5+% on it as well - OR bone stock clocks the fps are the same.

Now oddly this is relatively new as I've done several 24 hour races at laguna (time scaled) and had not seen this until v1.8 - of last note - I have only seen this during sun rise.. not sun set.. that might be where the sun is relative to the track (I don't know). But you are not alone.

n

Hi mate,

No solution from me - I just wanted to chip in and say I've experienced the same thing.

Different Specs - my rig is i7-7700k, GTX 1080, 32GB RAM, Samsung G9 49" 1440p.

I normally run races with cloudy conditions during the day to eliminate the shadows which can cause significant loss of performance on my system (need to buy a new GPU, but the prices.....egh)

Anyway, same thing happened to me, Steam FPS overlay was reporting 90FPS, but it felt like 30-40FPS - really that bad, I just couldn't tolerate it. The only thing I could do was to quit and restart the entire game - which I think cleared it (or maybe I restarted my PC, can't quite remember now) .

It randomly happens and I haven't found a pattern to it yet.

Either way - you aren't alone.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 123 70.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 34 19.4%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 35 20.0%
  • No 3pa registration pages