Rally School CTDs

Default game, no mods. Everything works except the Rally School, at the start of the third lesson (braking in gravel), while the description is still running, CTD. No stuttering, no indication of any problem, right in mid-sentence I'm back at the desktop.

Have two profiles, Mulligatawny and a normal one, the latter recently created just to go through the game "normally".

Yer should of tried givin' her a good smackin' with yer 57/64th inch torquewrench. This old lady, she don't like goin' if she don't couldn't of been forced instead, tell ya w'hat

FWIW, created two new profiles, Rally School CTDs at the same spot with each. Looked at the dmp files in hex editor but no idea what I'm looking for (there's a lot in there about "Media Resources" and "event sounds").

Maybe try installing DirectX9?

Even if you play vanilla 1.02, it's a good idea to install fixup plugin. It fixes some possible CTDs related to sound buffers among other things.

Thanks. Have had DX9 on all systems for 20 years, and the menu shows the Fixup Plugin is installed (along with some "test" plugin). Otherwise the game is running fine, just always get that CTD at the same point in the third lesson of the school, tried two new profiles and my old "Mulligatawny" player (in fact it's that I wanted a player not named Mulligatawny that I decided to do the school again, lol).

Taking a quick glance at this RBR troubleshooting guide, the only thing that occurs to me could maybe help is the "use software audio" workaround

It's the first time I've seen anyone have that problem, so I'm out of ideas, sorry. :(

Reactions: jgf
Good idea, unfortunately didn't help. I thought of copying the "school" files from a different install, except i find nothing identifiable as school files (perhaps hard coded in the exe).

Good idea, unfortunately didn't help. I thought of copying the "school" files from a different install, except i find nothing identifiable as school files (perhaps hard coded in the exe).
If the MULLIGATAWNY profile works OK (I've always thought they should have named that code MR CHEATER, then it would be so appropriate to see "MR CHEATER get ready!" at the beginning of the stage :D), one workaround I guess you could try is to change the profile name with the use of a plugin. It's called NGPCarMenu because originally it was meant to just change the hardcoded names of the cars in the game menus to the installed modded cars, but it grew to do a lot other things:

"Rename profile" feature renames the driver profile while preserving profile settings (ie. you no longer have to call yourself as MULLIGATAWNY. Now you can rename the driver via NGPCarMenu plugin and still keep all maps and cars unlocked).

It is included by default in the RallySimFans mod, BTW, though you can install it independently.

Mulligatawny doesn't work in school either, I suspect a corrupt vid file or audio file since it CTDs at exactly the same point every time.

Just grabbed that file, should be such simpler than going through the school again. Thanks. (Is it possible to copy settings - controller, graphics, sound, etc. - from one profile to another?)

Well, good and bad. That plugin worked great in the rbr2016 install, I'm no longer Mulligatawny. Made a copy of my default game and added plugin there, no longer Mulligatawny ....and no longer have car menu. Menu screen is there, can move the highlight and select a car (know the Toyota, for which I'm currently tweaking setups, is third car) and all works, but there is no menu text nor images.
Rummaged through the docs with the plugin, there is an ini file for the default cars but no mention of how to make the plugin use it. Tried backing up the NGPcars ini and renaming the default to that, had no effect.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back