Rainfall Settings Observations

Shovas

Premium
I was trying to nail down exactly how Rainfall behaved as I thought I was noticing some interesting behaviour with Changeable.

I'm using the Crew Chief GTR2 Enhancements Plugins which comes with the changeable weather patch fix.

Here's what I observed. Please comment if you have any insights or corrections.

GTR2 Rainfall Weather

Session
: Simulation, Race, Donington Park GP 2004

Rainfall, Track, Ambient, Conditions, Forecast, Tyres Autoselected

None
: 20C Dry, 20C, Sunny, Sunny, Medium
10%: 20C Damp, 20C, Cloudy w/Rain, Cloudy w/Rain, Medium
20%: 20C Damp, 20C, Cloudy w/Rain, Cloudy w/Rain, Intermediate
30%: 20C Damp, 20C, Cloudy w/Rain, Cloudy w/Rain, Intermediate
40%: 20C Wet, 20C, Cloudy w/Rain, Cloudy w/Rain, Hard Wet
50%: 20C Wet, 20C, Cloudy w/Rain, Cloudy w/Rain, Hard Wet
60%: 20C Wet, 20C, Cloudy w/Rain, Cloudy w/Rain, Hard Wet
70%: 20C Wet, 20C, Cloudy w/Rain, Cloudy w/Rain, Hard Wet
80%: 20C Flooded, 20C, Cloudy w/Thunderstorm, Cloudy w/Thunderstorm, Soft Wet
90%: 20C Flooded, 20C, Cloudy w/Thunderstorm, Cloudy w/Thunderstorm, Soft Wet
100%: 20C Flooded, 20C, Cloudy w/Thunderstorm, Cloudy w/Thunderstorm, Soft Wet
Changeable: 22C Damp, 19C, Cloudy w/Rain, Cloudy w/Rain, Soft Wet, Medium

Changeable

Changeable seems to bias rainfall towards Track's GDB Average Rain parameter. In other words, a track like Donington or Spa may have more sessions with rain than Dubai or Valencia.

This seems to apply for Temperature as well where Dubai will be routinely much hotter than Donington although this does not seem to be an editable file but baked into the track so you'd need an editor to change this, I guess(?).

Question

Only on Changeable does the Ambient and Track temperatures seem to follow more realistic patterns as opposed to simply always going from 20C to 30C.

Is anyone aware of how to get this variability but without the chance of rain?

I thought it'd be cool to see the variation in the sky and clouds plus the more realistic temperature without the chance of being flooded out.

Last edited:
There's a setting in track .gdb file for proability for probability of rain, maybe that's all you need?

One opportunity for all of us is to generate better weather.txt CCGEP could call such a tool dynamically and pass the parameters necessary for tool to succeed and manage the subsititution of weather.txt. Game generation of weather.txt is not very good.

Last edited:
Question

Only on Changeable does the Ambient and Track temperatures seem to follow more realistic patterns as opposed to simply always going from 20C to 30C.

Is anyone aware of how to get this variability but without the chance of rain?

You can affect the temperatures at a specific track by adding this average temperature parameter line to the .gdb file: Average Day Temp = 15.0
Unfortunately, the window is way too wide and if you set it to for example 15.0 degrees Celsius, there's a big risk you'll encounter freezing temperatures on some of your visits to the track...

There's a setting in track .gdb file for proability for probability of rain, maybe that's all you need?

One opportunity for all of us is to generate better weather.txt CCGEP could call such a tool dynamically and pass the parameters necessary for tool to succeed and manage the subsititution of weather.txt. Game generation of weather.txt is not very good.
What would be really cool is if there was a dataset out there for a track of a large set of the races ever held and then cross-referencing that with the real historical weather for that day

Ie. essentially what real weather did/does in PC2 and AMS2

You can affect the temperatures at a specific track by adding this average temperature parameter line to the .gdb file: Average Day Temp = 15.0
Unfortunately, the window is way too wide and if you set it to for example 15.0 degrees Celsius, there's a big risk you'll encounter freezing temperatures on some of your visits to the track...
Any idea how large the window is?

What would be really cool is if there was a dataset out there for a track of a large set of the races ever held and then cross-referencing that with the real historical weather for that day

Ie. essentially what real weather did/does in PC2 and AMS2
I think free accounts on various weather services can cover a lot of ground for us. Problem is that we need someone with skill and interest to invest his time into this. If only AutoSim generator had command line interface, that tool is 98% of what is needed.

Last edited:
Any idea how large the window is?

I have removed the temperature info from my game because of how bad it works and can't check. (I have it set at always 20 C). It's several years since I experimented with this but I think the window was something like +/-15 degrees. You can easily check for yourself by just adding the line and test some different values for it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back