Racing rig extrusion and bracket supplier in central europe

Guys, sometime in the new year I want to try and make a second rig to allow me to keep my Flight Sim A10 cockpit rig assembled and working, as it is getting to be a pain having to constantly reconnect everything during swaps between race sim and flight sim.

I'm happy to leave the existing rig as a flight sim, and construct a purpose built one for the race, and since I no longer have access to my TiG welder am considering making one from the aluminium extrusions that seems to be favoured by a lot of people.

Due to the constraints of space I have, I would prefer to design and construct a bespoke one to fit my circumstances, and Ihave a CAD program that helps with that. What I don't have is the knowledge of a supplier of the extrusion here in central Europe, and of course the brackets (I presume they are die cast?) that link the extrusions together. If anyone can point me to someone who can supply and deliver lengths of extrusion and the appropriate brackets I would be grateful. If there is a site that has the sizes and specs of the extrusion and brackets I would also like to where to find it so that I can make CAD drawings for Solidworks.

Cheers

Les

I couldn't resist, I had to make the Lotus wheel boss cover - these 3D printers are going to be the ruin of me!
20210528_182025.jpg

Les

Upvote 0
Forgot to mention, I finally got the Sim-Labs P1-X rig, it was delivered a couple of weeks ago. What do I think of it...? Well, I can't say as it is still sitting in the five boxes in which it came as just before it arrived I was notified that I will be moving again. When I get to the next destination I will go through it and probably write up my thoughts on it.

Les
Well, after eight months, I finally received my shipment, with the new Sim Labs P1-X rig in it, so I started to build it today. However after half an hour it became clear that some important components are missing. I don't believe that this was Sim-Labs fault, as the local customs absolutely ripped our container apart during their customs check. At least two of the P1-X boxes had their tape seal on them, so I suspect that they didn't put all the bits back into the boxes when they closed it up. I'm not sure what else I will find missing, but the main side sandwich plates are the only major items I can see missing.

Of course this means that the rig is useless until I get replacements. I'm hoping Sim-Labs after sales is good, as I am going to have to rely on them to send me the replacement parts

To be honest I should have expected this when I saw the condition of the rest of the shipment, there is so much broken it's unbelieveable

On the positive side, it's clear that the Sim-Labs stuff is good quality kit, up until the nasty discovery of the missing parts I was thoroughly impressed with it!

Les

Upvote 0
Well, after eight months, I finally received my shipment, with the new Sim Labs P1-X rig in it, so I started to build it today. However after half an hour it became clear that some important components are missing. I don't believe that this was Sim-Labs fault, as the local customs absolutely ripped our container apart during their customs check. At least two of the P1-X boxes had their tape seal on them, so I suspect that they didn't put all the bits back into the boxes when they closed it up. I'm not sure what else I will find missing, but the main side sandwich plates are the only major items I can see missing.

Of course this means that the rig is useless until I get replacements. I'm hoping Sim-Labs after sales is good, as I am going to have to rely on them to send me the replacement parts

To be honest I should have expected this when I saw the condition of the rest of the shipment, there is so much broken it's unbelieveable

On the positive side, it's clear that the Sim-Labs stuff is good quality kit, up until the nasty discovery of the missing parts I was thoroughly impressed with it!

Les
Fortunately Sim Labs are pretty great with their customer service, so hopefully they'll get you up and running soon!

Upvote 0
I found the missing sandwich plates - in a box marked 'bathroom items'; don't ask..... That relieves me of a problem or two, not least the 75 euros cost of the replacements!

However I am continuing with the rig build, an while I really like the design, construction, materials, there is one thing that I am not so keen on. The specified bolt lengths for me are too short. As an example, the wheel deck mounting bolts are specified as M8 x 20mm but when I hold them up to the parts, by the time the various thicknesses add up, there is only one and a half to two threads engagement. Considering the strength and rigidity of the rest of it, this is not enough. this is especially true of the bolts holding the optional adustable feet brackets, they are a cantilever bracket and I would not feel sure that they will not end up pulling out - although to be honest I think I would have designed a different bracket with a third bolt.

I am going to get bolts that are 2 to 3 mm longer, there is ample room for them and I feel it would be a better mechanical solution.

Cheers

Les

Upvote 0
M8X22 or M8X23 would have to be custom fabricated, there´s no such size in the DIN catalogue.

Maybe first try to assemble the parts and then check how deep the bolt thread engages when all the free play is pulled tight.
Should you still not be satiesfied M8X25 is a standardized size which is readily available.

Assumed there is no packaging error ( what size is on the packlist?) Simlab will have chosen this size with a good reason.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
I have a lathe that I can use to get the lengths I want, so while it's a bit of a faff (especially with the number of bolts involved) between that and some washers I should be able to adjust. Maybe it's overkill, but the OCD in me will not let me rest until I do!

Les

Upvote 0
I have run into a small issue building the rig. I got the integrated triple monitor stand when I purchased it, prior to the revelation of the VR set that was gifted to me.

When I assemble it per the instructions, it sets the middle monitor essentially in front of the wheel base, or by adjusting to the max rearwards on everything, over the top of it. For me, as I won't be using a triple monitor set up any more now I have the VR kit, it's not a problem becasue I simply omit the side monitors and mounting hardware and mount the centre monitor back to front.

However it does puzzle me, have I interpreted the instructions incorrectly? Does anyone have a picture of the integrated triple monitor kit assembled to the P1-X frame (sim-labs site doesn't from what I can see, only shown separately)?

Also, again a minor issue, the plates that teh monitors are supposed to bolt to have the right spacing of bolt holes, but the bracket is too tall to fit into the standard VESA mount aperture in all my monitors. As a result I will have to make a spacer plate to fit between the monitor and the mount plate, not difficult to fix by any stretch but something you may want to look out for

Cheers

Les

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I made some 22mm M8 CSK bolts to replace the ones holding the wheel deck uprights, and some 23mm M8 cap head bolts to hold the wheel deck itself. The bolts now engage through the length of the slot nut threads, without impinging on the aluminium extrusions. It feels so much better, you have at least four threads holding it, plus it also made it easier to assemble.

I will do the feet bolts next, but as I need to make a bespoke floor pan to hold the Sparco seat runners, V3 mounting brackets and V3, I have to wait until those are ready to make certain the bolts lengths are correct.

It's obvious that Sim-Labs are limited to the DIN size bolts available to them, but making the correct size bolts if you can is something I really think is worth it

Les

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back