RaceRoom Racing Experience | Insight Into Physics Changes - Blog Post

Jan 29, 2020
Paul, I believe the photo of the Nissan that is referenced is missing from the blog.
Adding to this, also missing the picture of the "3rd spring" and suspension.

Otherwise, great writeup. Ty.

Last edited:
Reactions: atomed

Shovas

1000RPM
Premium
Apr 18, 2014
Do you mean the car breaking away/becoming unstable during corner braking/entry point has to be communicated in the FFB? As far as I was aware it was....if that's what you mean?
I guess you could say it is communicated. For example, in PC2, you can feel the unnatural overrotation of the car in slow, off-throttle corners, but the feeling isn't right. It's like it's communicating a magical, uninformative rotation rather than something helpful. People confused this for hidden arcade assists for a long time in PC2.

I imagine there must be some nuance to the feeling of this in a real car that carries enough information to handle it. Right now, in PC2 and AMS2, it's just a matter of eyeballing it and reacting rather than feeling it and counteracting.

Dethrone1427

500RPM
Sep 29, 2015
I guess you could say it is communicated. For example, in PC2, you can feel the unnatural overrotation of the car in slow, off-throttle corners, but the feeling isn't right. It's like it's communicating a magical, uninformative rotation rather than something helpful. People confused this for hidden arcade assists for a long time in PC2.

I imagine there must be some nuance to the feeling of this in a real car that carries enough information to handle it. Right now, in PC2 and AMS2, it's just a matter of eyeballing it and reacting rather than feeling it and counteracting.
You feel there is over rotation in AMS2? I find in that game you can absolute CANNON into the corners and by the time the car reaches the apex the physics self correct the car. You can get away with outrageous driving currently in that game and it just self corrects (for the record im completely non assists).

Reactions: WPxNJ and atomed

RaceNut

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 5, 2009
As in many contests, popularity often wins the day over pure talent or contributions.

Reactions: atomed

WPxNJ

100RPM
Aug 24, 2012
Physics discussion, continuous refinement, new tires, all great, but I really want to hammer that Scirocco up the esses at Watkins Glen very very soon.

• Haha
Reactions: F_B and M D Gourley

avenger82

Krzysztof Maj
Nov 5, 2011
Although I didnt really understand most of it, I’m happy there’s significant progress in physics engine improvement. This aspect is mostly left out in other sims development, namely rFactor2.

Last edited:

bgil66

500RPM
Sep 24, 2014
Ok Alex, my GT Omega Art is waiting for your magic! I’m gonna print this out because it is perfect reading material when need to wait at customer site

F_B

1000RPM
Premium
Nov 27, 2013
Wonder if the physics update and the tiremodel 4.1 on the Formula Raceroom 90 improves its drivability. It feels somehow weird to me (compared to other 90s F1 cars in other sims. Sure, I never drove one…).

Will buy the Scirocco and Watkins for sure.

Trebor901

2000RPM
Aug 10, 2007
Out of maintenance mode, the video they posted on their twitter this morning showed wtcr 2020 coming with this update but nothing in the store.

Leynad777

500RPM
Premium
Jan 30, 2015
You feel there is over rotation in AMS2? I find in that game you can absolute CANNON into the corners and by the time the car reaches the apex the physics self correct the car. You can get away with outrageous driving currently in that game and it just self corrects (for the record im completely non assists).
AMS2 delivers more grip in the first 5 to 10 minutes during the peak-performance of the tyres, but this 'self-correcting' transforms into certain spin soon, if you keep pushing like that. AMS2 and RR have IMO far more similarities than differences (unlike ACC:speechless:) with very similar grip after maybe 10 to 15 minutes in the race. RR seems more difficult first, but to manage this wider range of grip-dynamics in AMS2 is a challenge of it's own and might be more authentic in explaining the usual time-gap between qualifying and fastest race lap, which you don't see in iRacing or ACC either.

roadyroad

250RPM
Dec 7, 2013
Really interesting article and glad to see all of this in RR. Well done, there is a lot of passion in this work.

Only problem I had recently with the sim is how the f1 90s cars can spin in high speed corners after a few laps in an unpredictable way (like a sudden loss of downforce). The default setup maybe... hope they're going to feel better with this update.