Racer

Ruud

RACER Developer
Welcome to RaceDepartment. :)
As RSC has been offline for quite a while, RaceDepartment has been gracious enough to host a temporary Racer forum.

To kick it off, here is Racer v0.8.0. Warning: all things are set to target relatively high-end graphics card. nVidia 7950+ somewhat. Onboard cards will not do.

The download is at http://www.racer.nl/download/racer080.zip (42Mb).
If you have an ATI card, Cg shaders may not work due to a bug in Cg 2.1. Try the patched racer.exe from http://www.racer.nl/download/racer081a_patch.zip (1Mb).

Hope you can enjoy it!
Ruud

The patch (really a preview of v0.8.1, so interesting for nVidia users as well) changes these, although no data files are included you can check out some things already:
- Added envmap.live_track.sides_per_frame to set update count of live envmap
- Car.ini camera<n>.view variables were read, but never used. Removed loading them, they are (and were) obsolete.
- LOD (level of detail) for objects is now adjusted to take into account the camera FOV (normal FOV=50).
- Split fullscreen_shaders directory into LDR and HDR variants (data/renderer/fullscreen_shaders_hdr and _ldr).
- Added car.ini engine.idle_method to avoid throttle being slightly open all the time. See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/engine.htm
- Now enforcing engine.stall_rpm to be at least 100 rpm less than idle_rpm to enable the new idle_method 1.
- Added engine.braking_torque_curve to specify a curve for the engine braking instead of the linear parameters.
(the Lambo now uses such a curve for demonstration)
- Modified smoke particles to have no velocity. Also increased the brightness somewhat.
- Bloom map was 16-bit, now 8-bit.
- Added car.ini audio.skid audioset based on skid amount (around 0..2). This allows subtle scrub sounds before
going to screeching & screaming.
- Added 'gearwhine_off' audioset for gearwhine under deceleration circumstances.
- Fuel consumption was based on engine output torque, added internal friction (engine braking torque) in fuel use calculations.
- Renamed racer.ini variable 'collision.report_car_trk' to 'collision.report_car_track_collision'
- Added car.ini's reboundstop_len and reboundstop_k for much the same as a bumpstop, only to prevent wheels falling through susp<n>.maxlen
see http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/suspensions.htm#reboundstops
- susp<n>.restlen no longer needs to be smaller than maxlen. It ignored precompression that way.
- Added fuel.rof to overrule the fuel grams/liter parameter. Normally it's around 700 for regular petrol.
- Added views.ini 'invert' field (0/1) which inverts the variable (like 'factor' which multiplies it)

The list of changes since v0.7.3:

- Bugfix: OpenGL3.0 drivers would crash Racer due to a mistake in getting some extension function pointers.
- Bugfix: track's with special.ini gfx.time below 1000 (10am) were not interpreted correctly.
- Bugfix: turning on projected lights no longer kills some 3D dials
- Heavily modified Cg shaders. Also added a lot more. See http://racer.nl/tutorial/gpushader.htm
- Projected lights used alphafunc, which made lights on semi-transparent object pixely.
- Added car.ini's model_reverse_l/r models for true rear lights. This should do away with the views.ini hack to add reverse lights.
- Modified live track envmapping to not do all sides every frame. Lots faster.
- Removed dbg_stats tree in racer.ini (it was obsolete).
- Added 'clouds' script command for Cg-shaded skies, added 'clouds' uniform float parameter for Cg shaders (0..1).
- Also added 'clouds' in a track's special.ini (env.clouds)
- Added resolution.vsync to sync to display frequency or not (0=max fps, 1=sync, >1=set interval)
- Added moving helmet (+pilot body) model option in car.ini. See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/helmet.htm
- Raised the number of possible flares for each car to 20 (was 10)
- Simple (single-polygon) shadows for car views without a body model are now turned off.
- Removed 'fx.sky_enable' option. The sky is always on.
- Removed 'gfx.reflections' option. Was/is obsolete.
- Added graphics.show_names to be able to indicate driver names floating above cars.
- Added mirrors.texture.fbo setting to render into an offscreen framebuffer object (faster)
- Added mirrors.texture.fbo_samples setting to enable anti-aliasing of the mirror.
- Added HDR rendering basics (renderer.hdr.enable=1). Uses data/renderer/shaders_hdr directory if enabled, shaders_ldr otherwise.
- Added Bloom rendering for HDR mode (renderer.bloom.enable=1).
- Split data/renderer/shaders directory in two: shaders_ldr and shaders_hdr. HDR is the way to go. LDR will be deprecated.
- Added ini.auto_lights setting (0/1) to determine with time-of-day controls a car's light automatically
- Added shader 'reflect' material property for reflective Cg shaders (in the same line as diffuse, ambient, specular etc).
Use this in conjunction with [dyn_]shader_reflective_v/f.cg for example.
- Added car.shd/track.shd 'motion_blur' variable to turn off motion blur velocity map generation for certain shaders (wheels mostly).
- Added auto-exposure settings for HDR rendering (racer.ini:renderer.auto_exposure.*)
- Added fx.sun.auto_time_of_day to track real current (PC) time for the time of day in Racer
- Added fx.sun.fast_time_factor to set time speed. Normally 0 for no time change, 1 for realtime, >1=faster than realtime
- Added fueltank in cars. See data/cars/default/car.ini (fuel.* settings). Currently in alpha. No fuel means no throttle.
- Added fuel view variables for views.ini files (for cars). See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/fuel.htm for details.
- Added formatting option for views.ini; 'float_1' displays a value with 1 decimal (for example: 123.4).
- Added 'sample_hold' option for view elements to get slow-updating dials (mostly useful for digital dashboards)
- Added fx.sun.flare option to remove sun flare. It doesn't match with the Cg sun position.

BMWuser

:party2:

Attachments

• 320@L.jpg
    320@L.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 240
  • screenshot079.jpg
    screenshot079.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Vitaliy

Hey guys!!!! I just downloaded racer yesterday and this game is so AWESOME!!! I just love free driving in the lambo, manual tranny mode. hahaha.

Anyways I have the v0.6.5.4 version.

Its pretty nice. I got 1 question. Where can i download the corvette that's in all the screenshots.... the new c6 vette? Also, where do you guys download all your cars from? Personally a nice BMW would be good for me to throw around the tracks...

Last question.... is the gas usage feature and live time available in the v0.6.5.4 or just v0.8.0? Is that the latest version?

Thanks!! And Thanks to the creators for such a nice simulation!!:wink2:

• Vitaliy

Is there anyway to increase brake power on the lambo cause its not very realistic, i mean it takes like 2 minutes to come to a dead stop going 100 KPH

Also the auto clutch doesnt work except when i change the auto-clutch rpm=0 in car.ini

Hi guys,

A conversion wip of xiorxorn's Citroën Sm, alpha version available on my site. You'll find a video preview in these pages too. ;)

Still some work on it, but as soon as I can get a decent shader for body and interior, I'll upload the 0.6 version. Note this model is set to work with 0.7.3+ versions of Racer, haven't tested yet with previous versions.

Attachments

• SM_preview_001.jpg
    SM_preview_001.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 221
  • SM_preview_005.jpg
    SM_preview_005.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 239
Animated trees on Carlswood have white edges I fixed the track.shd file by setting alphafunc =128 instead of =1 and commenting out the blendfunc=blend. Still have that bleed thru with headlights on.

Now, about that sky...
carlswood geometry.ini and track.shad file settings.
unused
{
sky01
{
file=sky.dof
;file=sky01.dof
;flags=73
flags=65
}
}
objects
{
sky01
{
file=sky.dof
;file=sky01.dof
;flags=73
flags=0
;flags=65
}
shader_sky~vf_sky
{
sky=1
;fog=0
cull=none
layer0
{
;texenv=replace
map=sky_clouds.tga
;depthfunc=always
depthwrite=0
}
layer1
{
;texenv=replace
map=sky.tga
;depthfunc=always
depthwrite=0
}
}
The listed sky dof's are sky, sky0, sky01 and sky_cg, only sky.dof is used.
Using the above geometry.ini and track.shd settings I get the sky as shown in the sns track.jpg image below. Great job on skies, Ruud! Changing the flags=0 to flags=73 keeps the sky far away! Then the sky looks/works like on carlswood.
The blue haze is reduced by setting the special.ini intensity to a lower value but it makes the sky dark.

That "unused" section doesn't seem to do anything.

Sure would be nice if all tracks could have the ability to go to night by use of the console/racer.ini time setting!

Thanks Bruce for the comment about cg file, IMHO, I think the sky cg's should have a transparent layer allowing the background track sky image to show thru and then darken as the sun goes down and leave the haze out or make it a separate cg operation, sure wish I knew how to write those cg's!

Attachments

• sns track.jpg
    sns track.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 276
So basically, racers AA and AF Setting (also non "Motion Blur" Settings you have somewhere in racer.ini) work now? They never did for me in older Versions and I never tried it once since then.

Edit:
filter
{
max_anisotropy=8
}
does not work (no motion blur (Cg/ FBO etc) involved)!

Oh.. crucify me, I misread anisotropy for anti aliasing...

Does Racer even have antialiasing without motion blur/ etc ?

No AA without motion blur (in Racer at least). Things are going towards FBO's anyway, so offscreen AA is the way forward.

As for anisotropy, that indeed does not work. Turns out it is a setting per texture, instead of global. I should make the racer.ini value global and allow anisotropy overruling in .shd files, so you can selectively apply anisotropy if you want.

• Tiberius

Hey guys!!!! I just downloaded racer yesterday and this game is so AWESOME!!! I just love free driving in the lambo, manual tranny mode. hahaha.

Anyways I have the v0.6.5.4 version.

Hi.

The brakes on the Lambo should be fine, what sort of controller are you using...mouse? Keyboard?

If you really want to increase the braking power you can do it in the car.ini file (normal text file, open it with notepad or wordpad)...scroll down until you find the 'wheel_front' and 'wheel_rear' sections and increase the number after the 'max_braking=' lines.

Some1's Corvette...it should be on one of the download sites, if you go to racer.nl there's a couple of links on the left hand side. You should be able to find a gazillion Beemers there too..

Hope this helps :)

Hello Everyone

I wanted to say that I have been working on a few cars, and improoved my Bullitt. But my cars are for the pre-CG era...lol. I have done more to my Aluminator, refined a GT-500KR, also the new K.I.T.T., I freshend up a Sunbeam Tiger, 69 Camaro, 70 Boss 302 Mustang, and for fun tricked out a 71 Roadrunner.

The pictures, are of ones I have done.

Note: the Blue Aluminator is not for sharing.

Attachments

• screenshot002.jpg
    screenshot002.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 250
  • screenshot025.jpg
    screenshot025.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 225
  • screenshot026.jpg
    screenshot026.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 225

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?