Racer v0.8.26 released!

Ruud

RACER Developer
The usual, but 2 big things: a garage when selecting the car (getting rid of the white cars) and an important bugfix if the CG is not at the nullpoint.

Get it at http://www.racer.nl/download/racer0.8.26.zip (100Mb, due to the extra garage track!)
CG movement patch (only the racer.exe) is at http://www.racer.nl/download/racer0826b.zip (1.5Mb).

The garage is still a rough preview but you can plugin your own garage1 track (I might add the possibility of multiple garages). The CG bugfix is optional; in racer.ini find 'move_cg': 1 is the new default, 0 is the situation as from v0.8.25.

Changes:
v0.8.26 (10-12-10)
-----------------
- Skidmarks tweaked to be more opaque.
- Some bumpshaders modified the normal map's alpha, giving funny reflectiveness issues.
Resolved using an extra 'common/utils.cg' file with UnpackNormal() and used in all bump shaders.
- Best line tweaked; fades out near the car, green lines are faded. Less intrusive.
- Added Logitech G25 wheel preset file (thanks to QuadCoreMax)
- Modeler can now export a template shader (.shd) file for a loaded model
- Pressing P in replay a few times doesn't mess up the volume (on/off) anymore
- Non-Cg version still created mirror and live track FBO's
- Particle system would crash with some car/track combinations. Seems related to culled single-poly fences.
The road is culled and single-poly, and really hitting the track seems a problem for Newton.
- Same change for the particle system done to the exhausts (arrays instead of std:vector)
- Not all collide polygons were used for Newton's collision tree. Rebuild trackcollision.bin
- Car selection screen now loads 'garage1' track as the environment. Pitpos0 is the car location.
- Tracked spline selection now accepts Shift-[,] for multi-select (local grip editing)
- Default font made a bit smaller, since everyone's running at least 1024x768 anyway.
- The Ctrl-9 screen could show bad load balance when the nullpoint was outside
of the front and rear wheel susp<n> locations (extreme CG movement tests).
- CG translation bugfix in the physics; an important one! Use move_cg=1 in racer.ini.
- Ghost car playback didn't work correctly.

I found a way to put the body in the right place. Add this under your file=bodyname.dof and every other 3d model
Code:
 offset
    {
      x=0
      y=0
      z=0
    }
The numbers should be the same as the values in the cg part and all should be good.
I don't know whether this is the right way to do things. Someone with more experience and knowledge will hopefully tell us.

The car handles totally different now, it's much more planted to the ground, more like a race car. More changes needed.

Oh..cool! THX

EDIT:
ok...got it...but feels wired....will see...

screenshot004.jpg

EDIT2:
Ok, found the magic^^
i use for cg x/y/z = 0 and for Offset the old cg values in different order...
cg_OLD
x=0
y=0.4
z=-0.22

cg_new
x=0
y=0
z=0

offset
x=0
y=-0.4
z=0.22

....and then all is fine^^

Some observations:

1. FPS seems to be totally "random" depending on which way the camera is pointed.
Switching between view-modes causes the FPS to go all hay-wire, from 8FPS to ~25,
depending on the direction of the camera. Also car lights seemed to "eat" FPS (with
lights on the FPS dropped at once by at least 10 FPS. But this also seems random,
depending on the pointing of the camera.

2. Control settings did not work, neither auto-detect. I have a Logitech Driving Force EX.
Racer detects that the wheel is there, but it maps everything wrong, and ignores my
previous setup when copied. Not a big deal, just curious to what has changed..

3. Random crashes and hangs. Not sure what causes it, unable to reproduce.

That's it I guess. Still, it is probably the best release in a looong time. If anyone
wants my tweaks (optimized for SM2) I can upload to Alge. Tweaks include an
optimized racer.ini and working bump*reflect*f.cg files.

Strange. I didn't change the CG, just added the values from it to the offset.
cg - old and new
{
x=0
y=-0.1
z=0.425
}

offset
{
x=0
y=-0.1
z=0.425
}

Sag mal, fühlt sich das Auto eigentlich anders an? Ich konnte es bis jetzt noch nicht richtig abstimmen. Irgendwie will es nicht fahren wie vorher.

If you want more FPS (I guess at the cost of some Quality) you can also change
racer.ini said:
samples=4
coverage_samples=16

to

racer.ini said:
samples=0
coverage_samples=0

I guess the comments are outdated because either coverage_samples or samples (I guess samples? too lazy to try) eats fps even on ATI cards. How much you gain is based on a lot of factors like track, car, your system, etc blabla.

Strange. I didn't change the CG, just added the values from it to the offset.
cg - old and new
{
x=0
y=-0.1
z=0.425
}

offset
{
x=0
y=-0.1
z=0.425
}

Sag mal, fühlt sich das Auto eigentlich anders an? Ich konnte es bis jetzt noch nicht richtig abstimmen. Irgendwie will es nicht fahren wie vorher.

....hmm....i play a little with cg and model to night....

...ja schon...aber nach den Änderungen war es wieder Gut....

So it is an SM issue right? I can run SM2 and with some (read: lots of) tweaking I
get a very decent Racer. Since I cannot fix this, and you say it is hardware related,
then it must be the SM model, I guess SM4 or above?

Not sure. Splashonda said he had disabled fbo, motion blur etc. Maybe that's the cause...
Can you run the default Racer install (without tweaking)?

ATI 3650 900@600 (512MB ddr2) + W7 (10.11) Celeron 420@2.66

1. Default settings:
What a nice view, good quality :) but 1,2,3,4s crash bzzzz reboot.

2. All settings minimum / disable
fps 10 / or crash bzzzz reboot.

3. Disable all mirror's from racer.ini
Wow how fast, 1,2,3,4s crash bzzzz reboot.

samples=0
coverage_samples=0
~120 FPS but black turning.

samples=1
coverage_samples=4
1,2,3,4s crash bzzzz reboot.

Something kill my low-end GPU afther ~4s

6. Back to 0.8.08.1

Luthobu could you upload the light version racer.ini ?

Attachments

• QLOG.7z
    3.5 KB · Views: 129

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back