Racer v0.8.24 released!

Ruud

RACER Developer
v0.8.24 is out.
Expected problems:
- Carlswood's kerbs seem to have a problem with bumpmapping. They're using static bumpmapping which haven't changed yet (to world space). Might be the tangent creation, hm.

Get it at: http://www.racer.nl/download/racer0.8.24.zip

Changes:
- dyn_standard_bump_reflect_*.cg rewritten to work in world space. Faster & reflection
is now also affected by the normal map (quite noticable).
- Same for dyn_standard_bump_*.cg; it now also takes the bumpmap's alpha for reflectiveness (specular).
- dyn_standard_bump_speca_v/f_cg was removed; use dyn_standard_bump_reflect*.cg instead (which does
the same thing).
- Controller stick_friction threshold velocity decreased from 20 m/s to 5 m/s (hardcoded).
- Added 'u' to position logging (normalized lateral position on the track)
- Added projected lights intensity: car.ini's lights.light<n>.color (default=4 4 4). In klux. Check
the Lambo's car.ini.
- async now runs the physics thread full throttle; it must run on a separate core if you want to avoid
it impact the other threads.
- TrackEd reworked to use the full render engine. Flashing also works again. Stack overflow fixed.
- Wheel setup screen now includes friction/stick friction/damping/inertia sliders.
- Added car.ini car.ff_friction, ff_stickfriction, ff_damping and ff_inertia factors to tune force feedback.
- Also added car.ini car.ff_gain, which modifies the ff_friction etc values directly (default=1.0)
- Added console commands 'ff friction <x>', 'ff stickfriction <x>', 'ff damping <x>' and 'ff inertia <x>'
for live setting of FF values. Absolute numbers for the controller, not car relative (0..10000).
- Fixed typo in NightSaturate() (no green in B&W color) in hdr.cg
- Tangents now generated in 4 coordinates (was 3). Mirrored UV seams are now being duplicated
to avoid tangent trouble where UV and mirrored UV parts meet.
- Modeler can now show tangents (T to toggle). It already did normals (N to toggle).
- Tangents were never used as VBO's; now they are (slightly faster).

Correct the wheel works fine, it only crashes racer during 'autodetect'.
I just use a control.ini from a previous version and edit it for the new parameters. Sorry it took so long to reply.

Alex Forbin

Can you try setting controls=default.ini and see if that works? It might be a problem that the control file isn't called 'default.ini'.

I guess any response to my post #32 and #42 have gotten lost in the flood of other problems.

We do need to have vertex colors working correctly, imho.

Downloaded the s_and_s track, will have a look tomorrow. They seem to work in Carslwood, so it might be some gfx engine state that keeps hanging or such.

Can you try setting controls=default.ini and see if that works? It might be a problem that the control file isn't called 'default.ini'.

Same result I'm afraid. Here are the Qlog and resulting default.ini that it generated...

Code:
OS-Version: 5.1.2600 (Service Pack 3) 0x100-0x1

0x004E163E d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\ui_public\supctrl.cpp (line 645): ControllersUpdate()
0x004E443C d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\ui_public\supctrl.cpp (line 1685): Do()
0x004E47FB d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\ui_public\supctrl.cpp (line 1827): rrSetupControls()
0x004DDBB9 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\ui_public\supmain.cpp (line 157): Do()
0x004DDC27 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\ui_public\supmain.cpp (line 201): rrSetupMain()
0x004D73A6 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\ui_public\menu.cpp (line 1720): Do()
0x004D754B d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\ui_public\menu.cpp (line 1840): RMenuRun()
0x004035BA d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\mrun.cpp (line 1652): Setup()
0x0040390E d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\mrun.cpp (line 1909): Run()
0x00401504 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\main.cpp (line 222): main()
0x00401573 d:\source\trunk\dev_racer\src\main.cpp (line 229): WinMain()
0x0054B8DB f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\src\crt0.c (line 263): __tmainCRTStartup()
0x7C817077 [kernel32]: (filename not available): RegisterWaitForInputIdle
The generated default.ini

Code:
global
{
  name=Racer controls - defined ingame by menu
}
controllers
{
  mouse
  {
    enable=1
  }
  keyboard
  {
    enable=1
  }
  joystick0
  {
    enable=1
    index=0
    force_feedback=1
    kerb_magnitude_factor=1
    kerb_period_factor=1
    max_torque=20
    max_force=10000
    deadzone=0
    latency=0
  }
}
And the original default.ini that I started with (from Racer 0.8.23)

Code:
global
{
  free_shifting=0
}
controllers
{
  mouse
  {
    enable=1
    lock=240.000000
  }
  keyboard
  {
    enable=1
    lock=240.000000
    change_camera
    {
      axis=
      min=0
      max=1000
      button=-1
      pov=-1
      negate=0
      make_analog=0
      linearity=1.000000
      sensitivity_rise=5.000000
      sensitivity_fall=50.000000
      key=c
    }
  }
  joystick0
  {
    enable=1
    lock=900.000000
    index=0
    name=Logitech Driving Force Pro USB
    extensions=0
    force_feedback=1
    kerb_magnitude_factor=1
    kerb_period_factor=1
    max_torque=20
    max_force=10000
    deadzone=0
    latency=0
    friction=520
    stick_friction=10000
    damping=578
    inertia=549
    steerleft
    {
      axis=x
      min=-1000
      max=0
      button=-1
      pov=-1
      negate=1
      make_analog=0
      linearity=1.000000
      key=
    }
    steerright
    {
      axis=x
      min=0
      max=1000
      button=-1
      pov=-1
      negate=0
      make_analog=0
      linearity=1.000000
      key=
    }
    throttle
    {
      axis=y
      min=-1000
      max=1000
      button=-1
      pov=-1
      negate=1
      make_analog=0
      linearity=1.000000
      key=
    }
    brakes
    {
      axis=rz
      min=-1000
      max=1000
      button=-1
      pov=-1
      negate=1
      make_analog=0
      linearity=0.250000
      key=
    }
    shiftup
    {
      axis=
      min=0
      max=1000
      button=13
      pov=-1
      negate=0
      make_analog=0
      linearity=1.000000
      key=
    }
    shiftdown
    {
      axis=
      min=0
      max=1000
      button=12
      pov=-1
      negate=0
      make_analog=0
      linearity=1.000000
      key=
    }
    handbrake
    {
      axis=
      min=0
      max=1000
      button=7
      pov=-1
      negate=0
      make_analog=1
      linearity=1.000000
      sensitivity_fall=10.000000
      key=
    }
    starter
    {
      axis=
      min=0
      max=1000
      button=2
      pov=-1
      negate=0
      make_analog=0
      linearity=1.000000
      key=
    }
    lights
    {
      axis=
      min=0
      max=1000
      button=3
      pov=-1
      negate=0
      make_analog=0
      linearity=1.000000
      key=
    }
  }
}
Alex Forbin

@Alex

I followed Ruud instructions, no more crash, it's just the procedure you have to follow.

So, first create your own ini file (it should be logitech_driving_force_pro_usb.ini) with your params (the new ones inertia etc.) in \data\controls\presets & leave the default.ini file in data\controls alone as is.

Now, when autodetecting or editing new wheel params, there shouldn't be any crash...default.ini should be updated successfully with your ingame settings.

@Ruud/Mitch

Thx for all explanations & all your efforts in making Racer always better ! :)
Just a note, would be cool to have cars rendered correctly when selecting them.

@All

I'll update my track (LiL Lake) & implement some more advanced stuff, more details in the Tracks section.

@Alex

I followed Ruud instructions, no more crash, it's just the procedure you have to follow.

So, first create your own ini file (it should be logitech_driving_force_pro_usb.ini) with your params (the new ones inertia etc.) in \data\controls\presets & leave the default.ini file in data\controls alone as is.

Now, when autodetecting or editing new wheel params, there shouldn't be any crash...default.ini should be updated successfully with your ingame settings.

Hi Quad,
We're trying to find out why it crashes as it is. I usually just copy my default.ini from the previous version and update it as needed, but first I always try Racer as is, for testing purposes. A new user won't know anything about how to fix it. If the problem is that there needs to be a file to match what it autodetects, then it will crash anytime someone has something it doesn't have a file for, which is what it appears to be doing.

Alex Forbin

You shouldn't have to create any files with any parameters.

I installed 084, went to the setup control screen, and it wouldn't see the wheel.

Went in-game, loaded the h.ini file (my H shifter controls from 083 and earlier), and then it worked.

Then when I went back to the menu control setup it was there. Presumably editing my h.ini file?!

Hmmmm

Not ideal for a new user lets put it that way. This time I had no h.ini file so had to copy G27 preset to the base control folder and rename it to default.ini, then it worked. I got the same result as Alex with a controls ini file populated with just a few bits of data.

It should 'just work' basically :D

Dave

I think I still have a simpler Logitech at home. Anyway, I'll try to do an autodetect at home with a wheel plugged in which doesn't have a preset. The crash from Alex is on a line that currently is not really anywhere anymore, but close to a mapping of a control, where recently the POV controls were changed into horn & wipers. I'll see if I can reproduce it.

Thanks Ruud. But there is still an issue with digital elements. See it for yourself.
dials.jpg

I see it, have it on the 458 as well. Turns out something is wrong with ini files (after 10 years, still a bug?!). It sees views.view1.elt2 where it isn't defined. Must be some fallback or something. Will figure it out today.

Ah, just the wrong car (thus ini file) in my editor, sigh. But indeed, the GPU shader was only updated for angular elements, not digital/constant. Fixed for v0.8.25.

Ruud makes changes we find the bugs!

Baja created problem on my SNS track otherwise all other cars and tracks ok after changing ALL mipmap=0 to mipmap=1.
Baja shaders apparently affect the gravel bump map.

Couldn't reproduce it in v0.8.25 with various angles (using S_and_S and the Baja). Please try again for the next version...

It seems to me, for making content more backwards compatible, it would be nice if there was a default shader applied to materials without v/f shaders defined, so it would shade their texture (or the red/blue stub) with something simple such as:
Code:
default_shader
{
  vertex_shader
  {
    file=dyn_standard_v.cg
  }
  fragment_shader
  {
    file=standard_f.cg
  }
}
Then just include a flag in racer.ini of whether to be strict about every material needing a shader explicitly defined or not. car.ini has fallbacks for missing values in this way - the vertex_shader and fragment_shader aren't really optional any more so maybe they should have similar fallbacks.

This'll work less well with the fancier non-cg shaders that don't include the texture on the first layer, but it's better than the car/track appearing all black (or not at all).

I have a suggestion Ruud though I don't know how hard it is for implementation and you certainly have more important things to do than this. Nevertheless, could we have real 3d dials? We would define them like this in the views.ini:
Code:
elt0
    {
      type=angular
      x=0.3593
      y=0.267
      z=0.743
      xa=10
      model=needle.dof
      var=rpm
      min_value=0
      max_value=8000
      min_angle=125
      max_angle=-125
      pivot_x=0
      pivot_y=0
    }
They would rotate just like the steering wheel and would be shadowed.
Just an idea though.:redface:

Ruud,
Will try vertexcolor again with next version. On ver 0.0824 loading the baja, then esc-key select lambo, going back and forth a few times the problem would show up intermitantly. hope it works in ver 0.0825.

I did notice that with carlswood, putting sand.dof into modeler the info stated that the texture was q_generated, in Surfaces and Sounds the texture is named. How are the q_generated textures made?

It seems to me, for making content more backwards compatible, it would be nice if there was a default shader applied to materials without v/f shaders defined, so it would shade their texture (or the red/blue stub) with something simple such as:
Code:
default_shader
{
  vertex_shader
  {
    file=dyn_standard_v.cg
  }
  fragment_shader
  {
    file=standard_f.cg
  }
}
Then just include a flag in racer.ini of whether to be strict about every material needing a shader explicitly defined or not. car.ini has fallbacks for missing values in this way - the vertex_shader and fragment_shader aren't really optional any more so maybe they should have similar fallbacks.

This'll work less well with the fancier non-cg shaders that don't include the texture on the first layer, but it's better than the car/track appearing all black (or not at all).

I added those as the default values for vertex_shader.file and fragment_shader.file, but tried it with chaseyertail, and there I got a lot of 'No shader found for material XXX' errors and still quite a black environment. I guess all content needs to be updated, and just applying some default doesn't seem to get you to far. I plan to add a 'v0.9 compatibility' flag on Racerdownloads.com, to avoid the ancient 'lots of content doesn't work on newer versions of Racer'.

I have a suggestion Ruud though I don't know how hard it is for implementation and you certainly have more important things to do than this. Nevertheless, could we have real 3d dials? We would define them like this in the views.ini:

Those have been in there for years now. Use is3d=1, see http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/dials.htm
They use the Cg shaders viewelt_v/f.cg, but shadowing is not added currently (costly and perhaps a bit over the top).

Ruud,
Will try vertexcolor again with next version. On ver 0.0824 loading the baja, then esc-key select lambo, going back and forth a few times the problem would show up intermitantly. hope it works in ver 0.0825.

I did notice that with carlswood, putting sand.dof into modeler the info stated that the texture was q_generated, in Surfaces and Sounds the texture is named. How are the q_generated textures made?

Perhaps the car selection screen screws things up for the Baja; try selecting the Baja, then exiting & restarting Racer, see if it persists. I need to fix the car selection screen; a lot of the scene graph is deleted - too much at each car load. Which is why it gives problems later on perhaps.

q_generated is used on objects that don't have textures defined in their materials. Normally the material name is valid though and if you have the appropriate shader_<x> defined it's not a problem.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back