F1 2011 Race Strategy Tips

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
First of all, I'm no expert and was having difficulty keeping up with the AI even in professional. Then I discovered that race strategy plays a big part of the race and now I'm consistently finishing in top 5 in Williams at Legends difficulty and winning some too thanks in large part to race strategy.

You may be able to apply some of this to shorter race but this guide is intended for 100% race with long weekend. If you're still on 50% or less professional difficulty... I encourage you to move on to 100% legends as it really isn't that much more difficult but much more engaging.

Practice.
1. If you're still learning the track, do it in proving grounds. Running a lot of laps in practice wears your engine too. Do the R&D if available of course.
2. In 100% race, fuel load plays big part so run few laps with full fuel load and prime tires to see how the car feels. I usually optimize my setup for half fuel load, fuel mix 2, and prime tires during practice.

Qualifying.
1. Keep track of the tires you're using. These tires carry on to your race.
2. By default, you will qualify with about 6 laps of fuel load. You don't need it and you shouldn't run more than 1 flying lap anyway to save tires. Dial it down to 3 laps.
3. In Q1, you should be able to get into top 18 with no problem with fuel mix 1 and prime tires. If not, increase fuel mix but save your option tires.
4. In Q2, they will fit you with options by default. Change it to brand new prime and if you're having difficulty getting into top 10, try with fuel mix 3 before resorting to options.
5. Unlike Q1 and Q2, getting as high position as possible is important in Q3. Option tires and fuel mix 3. Fuel load to 3 laps as well.
6. In tires menu, make note of how long options and prime tires last. This is important for forming race strategy and you can't check this once you move onto race.
7. This may not be realistic so use at your own discretion but jumping back to the pits instead of driving back will save your tires as well.

Race.
1. When you're sitting in the pits before the race, go into tires menu and check the race strategy. It will always default to lowest possible number of pit stops. Melbourne for example will default to:

Start: Option
Lap 14: Prime
Lap 36: Prime
Lap 58: Finish

Because you should be about 2 seconds per lap faster with options, adding one more pit stop and changing tires to options will be faster overall. If one pit stop costs you 20 seconds on track, you'll get it back in 10 laps. And because you will run less laps on worn tires, it just makes sense to change. So change it and adjust lap number accordingly.

Start: Option
Lap 12: Prime
Lap 32: Option
Lap 45: Option
Lap 58: Finish

And it's actually a lot more fun catching up to cars with fresher tires than being passed on track with worn tires.

2. In some races like Monaco, it's setup with 3 stops by default. Remember that you can't have more than 3 set of option tires so don't make the mistake of setting race strategy with 4 options.
3. Run with fuel mix 2 for the most part and save mix 3 for later part of the race because you never know how the race will pan out. Ignore your engineer when it comes to fuel mix.
4. Don't rev too high. You don't get much more speed and you will only waste fuel. It's better to upshift early (green light) and downshift a tad later to save fuel and use the fuel you saved for fuel mix 3 later.
5. Don't try to slip stream off slower AI traffic. By design, they're programmed to move aside when you're directly behind so if you keep trying to stay behind them trying to slip stream, they will shake wildly. Stay on different line than they are and they will remain steady.

Regarding qualifying - you assume we're in a car good enough to get to Q3.

Slipstreaming off traffic works fine so long as you don't get to close. You can gain speed by slipstreaming from quite a long way back, and can pull out to overtake well before they get into the "jittery" stage.

Very informative! Good tips!

I only have one thing to add:

When I drive a car that might get in or out of Q3, and I do make it into q3, I choose the prime tyres. I just feel more confident to get to options in a later state of the race. It might even wear your option tyres less when you drive on them with less fuel.

Also, don't believe everything your engineer says about worn off tyres at the pitstops, when you set your strategy. I mostly can pull out 2 or 3 extra laps on prime tyres, and 1 or 2 extra laps on option tyres. Keep this in mind, and calculate how much laps you can do after the lap of your scheduled pitstop, allomg with how much laps you already did extra before your previous stop. Maybe you will be able to drive as long to do a stop less. But always watch your laptimes with this.

Regarding qualifying - you assume we're in a car good enough to get to Q3.

Slipstreaming off traffic works fine so long as you don't get to close. You can gain speed by slipstreaming from quite a long way back, and can pull out to overtake well before they get into the "jittery" stage.
I actually don't see the part where I made that assumption... I only said save the options only "IF" you can make it in top 10 with prime. I haven't tried Virgin or Lotus but I never had any trouble reaching Q3 with Williams. Regardless, the point was to save the options for the race.

Very informative! Good tips!

I only have one thing to add:

When I drive a car that might get in or out of Q3, and I do make it into q3, I choose the prime tyres. I just feel more confident to get to options in a later state of the race. It might even wear your option tyres less when you drive on them with less fuel.

Also, don't believe everything your engineer says about worn off tyres at the pitstops, when you set your strategy. I mostly can pull out 2 or 3 extra laps on prime tyres, and 1 or 2 extra laps on option tyres. Keep this in mind, and calculate how much laps you can do after the lap of your scheduled pitstop, allomg with how much laps you already did extra before your previous stop. Maybe you will be able to drive as long to do a stop less. But always watch your laptimes with this.
That's a good point too but in that case, you're giving up on qualifying? And yes you can squeeze more laps out of those tires but my point was that it's actually better to stop one more and not stretch those tires. In case of the Melbourne above, the default pit strategy will make you stretch the tires until they're red. Instead, by doing one more stop and run less laps per set, you will finish much higher.

Heh, your pit stop strategy is completely different then mine. :)

Usually my default strategy is 4 stops, which I then reduce to 3. I start to lose time on worn tyres only 3-5 laps before pitting, so in the end I gain more time by taking 1 less pit stop.

Of course, it's always smart to take into consideration how much time you lose in the pits, time lost varies a lot from track to track.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back