Race Remaster

Here's an open beta with the new install version:

There might be some error (I hope not), but it should not damage the original install. Instructions are in the readme file and here:

1. Inzip 'Remaster_FILES' and 'Remaster_SETUP.CMD' to the same folder as your 'race 07' folder,
usually something like '...\Steam\steamapps\common'
2. Run 'Remaster_SETUP.CMD' and follow the instructions for 'INSTALL RACE REMASTER'
PLEASE NOTE: If your Race 07 game is NOT installed in
'C:\Program\Steam\steamapps\common\' you need to edit your
'GameInstallDir.ini' file in '*path to my documents*\Simbin\RaceR' folder.
3. Now use the shortcuts 'Run Race 07' or 'Run Race Remaster' to setup and run the game in chosen 'mode'. Do not open any sub folders or files in your race 07 folder when changing 'mode'.
(Deactivated Race 07 folder names ends with '_O'
Deactivated Race Remaster folder names ends with '_R')
If 'companian2.exe' is present in race 07 folder it will be started together with the game.
(Steam needs to run in the background.)

Just been installing this, and a few quick things. Oschersleben 2006 and 2007 were copied into a RaceR folder (not GameData_R in race 07). Also, a couple screenshots below from the installer command prompt that I found concerning.
Menu UI issue.jpg

Motec issue.jpg

Are these errors anything to worry about?

I noticed the default game install directory is set to "C:\Program\Steam..." but the correct path would be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\..."

Also, a couple clarifications before I finish installing and run my new install for the first time. What do you mean by changing "mode"? Also, I don't have any shortcuts labelled "Run Race Remaster" or "Run RACE 07". Can I just double click the RaceR-Steam.exe?

Last edited:
Just been installing this, and a few quick things. Oschersleben 2006 and 2007 were copied into a RaceR folder (not GameData_R in race 07). Also, a couple screenshots below from the installer command prompt that I found concerning.

- Thanks, it seems two lines weren't edited as they should. I have fixed that here.

Menus and Ui: there was missing '"' around 'race 07', it is needed when there is blank spaces.

It seems your Gamedata/Music is missing, or should there be no such folder? I also have one folder race 07/Music for some reason, maybe that is the right one?

"Cannot perform cyclic copy" : a missing "_R" in the script, taken care of now.
"File not found" - *.* I think you said you are missing your original Motec folders?

Are these errors anything to worry about?

I noticed the default game install directory is set to "C:\Program\Steam..." but the correct path would be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\..."

Interesting, I used my own path (swedish), but I'll change this...

Also, a couple clarifications before I finish installing and run my new install for the first time. What do you mean by changing "mode"? Also, I don't have any shortcuts labelled "Run Race Remaster" or "Run RACE 07". Can I just double click the RaceR-Steam.exe?
"Mode" is if it is run as Race 07 or Race Remaster, I'll see if I can improve the explanation, that what test versions are good for :)

The shortcut files are included in the zip, maybe they don't get copied? :O_o:
They are shortcuts to the .bat files that checks and/or changes game modes.

Last edited:
I also just noticed, while deleting my previous install, that some shaders were copied to Shaders_R, and others were copied to Shader_R. Seems like another small bug to fix.

It's fine if you guys prefer installer, but personally I have a different approach.

I either backup Race 07 folder (name it something else like "race 07 stock"), and install Race Remaster manually into the original one or use JSGME. Seems pretty simple to me. So far I don't have problems but I didn't play in a while.

JSGME option is better IMO because you save space (no need for two separate installs as it automatically backs up original files) and if there's a new update, I can just deactivate the mod, and replace it's files. It's also simple to use. Only odd thing is that you'll need to keep two zip files for the stock and Remaster shaders and install them manually. If you just keep them in a folder it might cause problems.

JSGME is great for pretty much any modding that involves replacing or adding files. I'm using it with AMS2 as well to install different livery packs.

Like I said though, installer is also fine. GTR2 Anniversary one is pretty great, and with the amount of different options in Anniversary I'd definitely rather use it!

Last edited:
@AndreasFSC some more error messages from my latest test of the installer.
2022-08-21 File not found.jpeg

2022-08-21 Motechs missing.jpeg

2022-08-21 Oschersleben issue.jpeg

Now, some bugs with the "Run..." shortcuts.
  • The shortcuts are still not being copied from the Remaster_FILES folder... so I just moved them manually for now.
  • Next bug is that the "Run..." shortcuts are coded to look for the BAT files on the D: drive and the "Program" folder, which is a problem when my Steam library is installed on my E: drive. So users will likely have to do what I did, and modify the shortcut manually in "Properties" to reflect their file path.
    • The icons for the shortcuts were also missing, because they were similarly hard-coded to the D: drive.
    • This is the sort of user non-friendliness that the installer-based method should avoid, if possible. Maybe the installer could ask the user to type their Steam library location?
  • Anyway, one upside of my manual fiddling: the GameInstallOrg or GameInstallDir INI files automatically chose the correct directory. :)
  • But, biggest issue... after using the "Run Race Remaster" shortcut, I've now ended up in a graphics config loop where I can't start the game... something I've never had before. :(
I agree with @PiotrGT that manual copying or JSGME can be better in many cases. Never mind possibly simpler for users. IMO in theory the biggest things the installer can add (never mind the flexibility for adding Anniversary Patch-like options in the future) are fixes for weird bugs (e.g. graphics config errors, disappearing MoTeC cockpit displays) related to the RACE 07 folders in Documents. Given my latest issues, though, I'm wondering if JSGME is better (instead of GameData and GameData_O and so on) for the core game files, and a small command prompt could be used to set up the SimBin Documents folder correctly.

Last edited:
Now I have spent much time and effort to look through the installer and tested it in many different ways. Also added some more files if they are needed and more conditions. .bat and .ink files are replaced by exe's.

I really hope this time it should work as it should.
(I have also included extra motech files if they should be missing in original version and can't be copied)

This installer seems to work very well! Great job, Andreas :) Your dedication and persistence always amazes me. :inlove:

As I've been testing, I've learned a couple things. Note: this may not apply to your system... I can only speak for my own experience.
  1. Fresh re-installs of RACE 07 do not include the MoTeC files - so it's great that backup files are now included in the Remaster installer.
  2. You must start a fresh vanilla RACE 07 install at least once before attempting to run Race Remaster. Otherwise you cannot get past the Config screen.
Sadly, even though the MoTeC files were copied into the game files (I saw the alert about it in the installer command prompt) I still have no in-car MoTeC displays - in both the standard and Remaster "modes". No idea what's going wrong there. But that's an issue I've been having for a while - so unless the MoTeC files are being copied to the wrong location, it's not an issue related to the Remaster installer.

Last edited:
Had some fun driving the WTCC 2007 cars and tracks yesterday after getting Remaster installed (I just enabled the HUD and adjusted my FOV so I couldn't see the empty MoTeC displays ). I was quite impressed with the default AI behaviour for the 2007 tracks I tested (Valencia, Oschersleben, Porto, Pau, Macau, Monza). Other than super tight corners or hairpins on the street circuits, the AI were great, and the vanilla AI lines are more than good enough for some fun!

View attachment 548001

Well, I don't know how to fix this problem. But maybe by talking about it, one of us will see a solution.
As you can see, the placement of the car in the garage is spaced a long way back from the exit path (in blue). In my mind, the Ai is turning before exiting the garage and will hit the wall, so does nothing. Or sits and has a fit with the wheels turning side to side.
I don't know how to move the car placements forward. If anyone does, please tell me. I have tried changing the Blue paths with limited success on other tracks.
I have seen tracks where the garage walls were not solid objects. I presume this was someone else's fix for this problem.
sorry, moved to different thread

Last edited:
Is 0.95 the latest on this project? or will it be updated more?
The mod has been updated many times, but it is always v.0.95 because it is such a big file, so it is not uploaded on racedapartment. Instead there is a link to the file, so I have to replace it (using the same name)

Andreas, your mod is a wonderful labour of love, but I hope you will forgive me for experimenting with it. I recently installed all the folders in your mod (GameData and so on, there are six of them), leaving out all the files that go directly into the game directory. I then took Bjarne Hansen's tip and ran the game in DX11, through DgVoodoo2, using 8xMSAA via DgVoodoo and SGSSAA via nVidia Inspector. The results, to my eyes, are good. Of course, this is all very subjective.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back