Race 07 and postprocessing

AndreasFSC

Too much going on...
Hi,
I would very much like to add the option to program post processing.

Here is what I have found so far:
Race07 uses "L0SCREENT0" and/or "fvf_screenT" as screen shaders it seems.
What I want to do is to pass the games final output to a "texture" and then to a editable pixel shader. In some ways it is kind of already being done by the game in rearview mirrors, and anti aliasing effects.

Race07 based games like Volvo the game and Raceroom the game uses post processing in the file FHDR.fx, and it seems to be called in Config.exe
I have tried to to replace those files and added d3dx9_40 in Race07, but it didn't work of course. I wonder if Config.exe is responsible for all post processing or if it just do the testing and settings?

These handles seems to be used in the later games:
"PixelSize"
"FullResMapTexture"
"BloomExposure"
"LumScale"
"MiddleGray"
"WhiteCutoff"
"Threshold"

and there is a
RenderMapTexture
and a
FullResMapTexture
to use in the fx file.

It should be possible to reprogram the pixel shader in FHDR to do things the way you want. If depth can be accessed it would be good.

I know ReShade can do things like this, but I would like the post processing to be more of a portable and built in thing, not to add many spectacular things and not too much, just improve the graphics a little bit.
I think ReShade is more its own mod, and made to improve things on your own computer and to use your own setup, and is not allowed to be included in a mod.

I have found a free software called

Direct3D 9 API Interceptor​

and the source code is available. Basically it uses its own file called the same name as the d3d file and then sends the calls to the real dll file, and it is possible to add extra things there. One such thing could be to add the post processing as in the Race07 based games, and the possibilities to turn it off.

Problem is I only have some very basic C++ knowledge, and I have had troubles to even make the compiler work on my computer, so it would take a very long time to make it work. Is there someone with coding skills who is willing to help with this project? The goal is to add FHDR.fx or some other way to add a customizeable screen shader to the game.
I think that if it is made to work in Race07 it should theoretically work in other gmotor2 based games too.

This is just a simple "post process" made in Gimp, what it might look like:

postprocess1.jpg

postprocess2.jpg

This is a very cool proposal, and I really like the idea of having post-processing built-in i.e. that is not externally added by the user like ReShade. I don't have the coding skills to help out sadly, but I encourage you to give this a try if possible!

One question: do you anticipate this having a significant performance hit on how well the game runs?

For those curious, here's a link to the software Andreas mentioned. Seems to be from 2014.

I think Reshade in one way is more than enough, but I would like to include something in the remaster as a more complete package in one install. And it is not allowed to include Reshade in a mod, it should be downloaded from its own site.
I feel Reshade is more for the user to customize and not for the "developer" in this case.

Spent a lot of time this weekend trying to make open source c++ projects to work and compile. The standard "hello world!" works, but as soon as I add projects, things go wrong. Finally I got a little bit closer to some kind of result yesterday, only a handful errors left. Learned a lot, but it is still close to nothing compared to what is needed.

I found a tutorial how to add some overlay elements in dx9, and it would probably be a good starting point, but sadly some important steps where missing. The tutorial was made for someone with more basic knowledge, and I am at level 0.0001 :O_o:

So I am still working on the first option, but things might change.
The idea is, if possible, to add a little bit of basic post processing, but with the option to turn it off for those who like to use their own solution.
Not sure it will be readdy when the remaster is released.

I have spent very much time trying to make different open source projects work. I think it is more the challenge and the possibility to know more about the game than the actual post processing that keeps me going now. I hope that if I only can make one hooking project to compile then I can probably modify it to add an effect file (.fx). It could be the fhdr.fx as a starting point.
It has been such a struggle to get this far, but I think one main issue is still there.
How to import library files in cmake?

It feels like I have tried everything, but the linking stage can't find the .lib files. The standard way to import them is not supported in the compiler sadly.

I hope to find a fix for this soon, so I can get some peace of mind and continue with other things...

I have had similar thoughts, But I have no programming experience. While playing around with Retrolux in Gtr2, I noticed that the film grain helps with the jaggies in object edges. So I have been looking through different post effects within the older Radeon driver releases. There are some excellent effects like antialiasing and sharpening. Still, It does not have any color adjustment or contrast so for the moment. I'm limited to dreaming of the day when I can apply a Lut to my old games as I do with my photography. It sounds like you have a much better approach and a better understanding of how it works. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your progress.

Finally found out how to compile the proxy d3d9.dll so it doesn't crash the game when selecting car :)
Can also output log files and such.
Now it is time to try to add the fx file at the right moment.

I tried reshade some days ago, but it was kind of overkill, and there were no depth data output from the game anyway, and the things I tried (just a quick test) looked very artificial to me.

you guys mean like.. to make it look a little bit more like this?
1.JPG

and this is old original content reworked (imola2004), not even new textures.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back