Questions about the new 1.14 AI

I'm really enjoying the new AI. It's renewed my interest in AC. It makes single player frequently exciting. The AI are no longer just moving obstacles.

I've got some questions
  • What *exactly* does "AI variation" mean?
    Does it mean, say, I set the AI strength at 90, I set AI variation at 5 - does that then mean that each AI is randomly any AI strength between 88 and 92, or between 86 and 90... or something else?
  • Do you think that the AI is now getting faster lap times? (with AI variation off)
    My impression is that the laptimes are the same but that I'm (with aggression at 100%) getting slower laptimes cos it's a real battle to get past each car - and that's making me slower.
  • What AI settings do you think are best? Why?

1.If set at 5 variation..90 AI level should vary from 85-95 so 5 in either direction

2. Yes AI are Faster...though aggression should be adjusted depending on type/speed of car so less aggression for faster f1/race type cars..otherwise AI will tend to crash/cut corners etc...

3.Try testing out different car combos/tracks and see what works best for you..
eg:
AI level 95
Variation 5
Aggression 75-100 faster/slower cars

Last edited:
1.If set at 5 variation..90 AI level should vary from 85-95 so 5 in either direction

2. Yes AI are Faster...though aggression should be adjusted depending on type/speed of car so less aggression for faster f1/race type cars..otherwise AI will tend to crash/cut corners etc...

3.Try testing out different car combos/tracks and see what works best for you..
eg:
AI level 95
Variation 5
Aggression 75-100 faster/slower cars
Thanks
Your first answer implies some AI race at 105% when variation = 5, AI strength = 100. I understood that 105% AI strength wasn't possible
Second answer: are you sure their laptimes are quicker? How? ('Scuse me, I'm a skeptic)

If i recall correctly Stefano said over 100% is not possible/realistic so 100 must be the max..and with variation it goes both directions if aris's comment was correct ..on tracks ive tested.the ai seem faster since the update by up to a second.. at times a little bit more

I'm surprised to find the AI to be generally faster. They were too slow at some tracks at 100% in my m235i championship and now seem to be much better. I'm sure someone will do a more scientific comparison.

I think the AI is excellent but I'm hitting them more and crashing out a bit more. I need something to help (an app) with being more aware of where cars are around me.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I've got a spotter installed, which is really good except that it just stops working at some point in the race and goes silent.

Anyone got a tip for a better spotter? Or some app that uses visual cues?

I think the AI is excellent but I'm hitting them more and crashing out a bit more. I need something to help (an app) with being more aware of where cars are around me.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I've got a spotter installed, which is really good except that it just stops working at some point in the race and goes silent.

Anyone got a tip for a better spotter? Or some app that uses visual cues?
Helicorsa is perfect. It doesn't crash, you can clearly see the opponents and is not visually invasive.

I know it's an old post :rolleyes:

Had the sim a few days now ( have been fence sitting far too long ) anyhow have you guys found any good combo's for the AI. Watched Gamer Muscle's video he said anything from 75-100% aggression depending on car set, an does the variation make much of a difference ?

yes it has a big impact on how ai perform..i use content manager and have been setting ai at 15% to 30% aggression with %15 percent increase in variation for good racing with overtaking ai. as any higher seems to make the ai over cook the corners/crash way too often if faster cars are used..but thats is just my opinion:barefoot:

yes it has a big impact on how ai perform..i use content manager and have been setting ai at 15% to 30% aggression with %15 percent increase in variation for good racing with overtaking ai. as any higher seems to make the ai over cook the corners/crash way too often if faster cars are used..but thats is just my opinion:barefoot:

I think it can depend on the track. I know there was some talk about the AI always crashing on the Nords but turning the aggression down to around 30% or below seemed to pretty much fix that problem.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.