Question about "traction loss" motion setups

First off, hello everyone. Hope your day is going well/concluding well. From what I understand, to feel the sensation of traction loss you would need to have a setup that would allow your rig to pivot at the front and have your rig sway along the yaw axis. Having your rig sway along this axis would give you the sensation that you are losing the rear end. I've seen some make-shift rigs online with this concept and it looks to be helpful for improving lap times.

So here's where I'm at. I have a G27 wheel and a set of Clubsport V2 pedals mounted to a Playseat Evolution rig and I'm wondering if there is an "easy" way to get a "traction loss" motion rig mounted to it? No need to consider what to do with the monitor; I use a HTC Vive with no monitor at my rig. I'm not really that interested in the other degrees of freedom you could have in a motion setup; to me the one thing that could improve lap times the most is having the rear end kick out when the car starts to lose traction. Any help you can give will greatly be appreciated. Thank you!

It's interesting and its one part of the motion that would interest me if we are discussing it as a tool to help to improve a users skill. Its remarkable but in I've read some comments that motion can slow a persons lap times rather than improve them.

Just a thought but
Controlled excessive wheel slip or a lack of grip should improve lap times if we are focused on it.
Notable ways of detecting this are possibly paying more attention to your own throttle/steering finesse regards oversteer and understeer.

Some that have spent large money on the best hardware are in a better position to answer such but possibly. Purchasing a high-end wheel and pedals will do more to improve your lap times than seeking RTL. VR it seems helps some and mainly most that can get comfortable with or enjoy its added immersion.

Wheel Slippage Traction Loss / Potential Cues:
  • Audio sound for tyres
  • SSW Wheelslip Vibration
  • Cockpit Motion
  • Steering Feedback

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The physical aspect of the added motion is another layer of making the illusion more real, but has never helped me improve lap times. The best you can do is match your best non-motion times. I have a DD wheel and with my NLV3 running the wheel FFB is less defined as your body is being jarred which reduces the detailed feeling you can pick up through your hands.

Upvote 0
Same here. I upgraded from a 10K to 2mil SinCos encoder on my SimuCUBE OSW. With motion activated, I can't feel any difference because I'm being bounced around all over the place therefore any subtle improvements in force feedback are lost.

I hear SimuCUBEs have moved onto 4mil and even 8mil encoders. Maybe there are benefits on static rigs, but I wouldn’t bother if you have a motion rig.

Having said that I’d rather a motion rig than an 8+ mil encoder. I’ve tried many different motion platforms including SimXperience, D-Box, Next Level Racing v3, CKAS and SimWorx. Whatever your budget, if you can get one I highly recommend it. Any of these will blow the fun factor through the roof….

Here is a mate taking my rig for a spin last night. Everyone walks away with a massive smile and I have to pry them out of the seat...

Tackling Bathurst with with a single hand on the wheel is ambitious :O_o:

Sometimes I'll just run without motion, and just my single transducer to at least get a sense of movement from the rig. The difference in wheel FFB detail is staggeringly enhanced without motion.

RingoDingo, you're better off upgrading from your G27 and adding a Buttkicker to your rig.

Upvote 0
Same here. I upgraded from a 10K to 2mil SinCos encoder on my SimuCUBE OSW. With motion activated, I can't feel any difference because I'm being bounced around all over the place therefore any subtle improvements in force feedback are lost.

I hear SimuCUBEs have moved onto 4mil and even 8mil encoders. Maybe there are benefits on static rigs, but I wouldn’t bother if you have a motion rig.

Having said that I’d rather a motion rig than an 8+ mil encoder. I’ve tried many different motion platforms including SimXperience, D-Box, Next Level Racing v3, CKAS and SimWorx. Whatever your budget, if you can get one I highly recommend it. Any of these will blow the fun factor through the roof….

Here is a mate taking my rig for a spin last night. Everyone walks away with a massive smile and I have to pry them out of the seat...
What motion system is that?

Going back to @RingoDingo? 's query about traction loss, I don't know how but my NLV3 seat mover without traction loss does a bloody good job of fooling my brain into thinking my ass is sliding sideways when lateral grip is exceeded. It's witchcraft I tells ya!

Upvote 0
@beef, feel free some time to show in detail the d-box software and in particular the tactile usage and controls. Barry never done this in his usual "cover everything" detailed reviews. Bit of a shame as it seems very little or anything about it is shared or shown. Jared are other Dbox owners on the forums here also have not as yet done such. I know it will be simple but still be nice to see what it offers effects/features wise and how it operates from a user perspective.

While mentioning it, can I ask if there is any timing differences when using Simvibe with Dbox for the output of the effects, regards delay or synchronization?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is the dbox software...
TA3biV7.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back