Question about track lighting

I'm going through the track building tutorial originally created by Scott Juliano at ISI. I'm at the section on creating track lighting for night races and I'm not following what he's saying.

To quote his tutorial:

LIGHTS:
Lights that are used to light up the track at night are done by placing omni lights in max where you want an area to light up. Use the max range and intensity to adjust how much distance you want lit up and how bright you want it. Keep in mind that you can only have 4 omni lights per instance…so break up your track pieces accordingly. If you want the lights to only come on at night, then they need to be named NightlightXX, where X=a number. Now, if you want to have corresponding glows for your grandstand lighting or Muscos or whatever, they must be named NightlightXXglow.gmt, and must correspond to an omni in the scene. Example: If you have a glow object named Nightlight05glow.gmt, there must be a Nightlight05 omni in the scene, or it will not work.​

What's confusing me is the statement that you can only have 4 omni lights per instance, "so break up your track pieces accordingly". Omni lights aren't attached to a particular model, they're separate objects, so which instance is he referring to?

Anyone able to clear this up for me?

Thanks

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back