Question about steering wheel style/preferences...

I’m curious why people own multiple steering wheels. Is it mostly to have a more authentic experience (matching the steering wheel to the type of car you’re driving)? Do you actually feel like there’s a difference in driving technique for specific cars that requires a different steering wheel (and is actually applicable in a sim)?

I’ve been using a Sparco P310 wheel for a couple years and use it to race everything from F1 to GT cars, etc. I’ve never felt like I was missing something by not having a specific F1 wheel when racing an F1 car.

Don’t get me wrong... I’m all about having more toys! I’ve got gear acquisition syndrome like I’m sure you all do... I’m just wondering if there’s something I’m missing with not having multiple wheels.

I’m curious why people own multiple steering wheels. Is it mostly to have a more authentic experience (matching the steering wheel to the type of car you’re driving)? Do you actually feel like there’s a difference in driving technique for specific cars that requires a different steering wheel (and is actually applicable in a sim)?

I’ve been using a Sparco P310 wheel for a couple years and use it to race everything from F1 to GT cars, etc. I’ve never felt like I was missing something by not having a specific F1 wheel when racing an F1 car.

Don’t get me wrong... I’m all about having more toys! I’ve got gear acquisition syndrome like I’m sure you all do... I’m just wondering if there’s something I’m missing with not having multiple wheels.

There is a niche hobby building accurate wheels. Some people like to have the exact wheel in the car they are racing with.

However, similar to you I use a P310 for everything on the track and a large blank wheel for rally. Those two wheel have worked well for me for a few years now.

There is no right or wrong just what is fun to you.

Upvote 0
look for the best possible point for the weight distribution of the car and once you have it, do not change it by changing the position of the driver (endurance races for example)
+1

And additionally it´s easier and safer to mount the seat rigidly and adjust wheel and pedals.
In many road and rally cars the seat mounting frame is part of the safety cell (fancy everywhere in the car rollcage)
A seat slider would be a safety hazard as it would be the weakpoint of the mount.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
why people own multiple steering wheels
Unsure what others rationalize, but at least in VR, one can entertain illusions of being in specific cars. Driving cars from the 1950-60s using a tiny G29 rim simply felt weird.
Having driven BMWs on track for years with approx 320mm rims,
driving those in AC with a wheel of appreciably different diameter felt wrong.
On the other hand (pun intended), using the same rim for both modern GT and formula track cars, given headset views and lacking contradictory experience, does not provoke enough discrepancy to bother.

Upvote 0
Power steering….
Really? I always thought that technology started much later, in the 80s or so.

I agree with what has been said about VR. You can try a round and simple rim with a F1 or GT3 racing car and, if you keep your hands at 9/3 all the time you believe that you are actually driving with that rectangular-shaped steering wheel full of buttons.

Upvote 0
so what's an ideal wheel collection to cover all classes of cars in Sim racing?
F1 historic
F1 current gen
LMP historic
LMP current gen
GT3
Street
Rallye
Indy
Truck
Kart

so around 10 and more depending if you want specific wheels for specific cars…

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F1 historic
F1 current gen
LMP historic
LMP current gen
GT3
Street
Rallye
Indy
Truck
Kart

so around 10 and more depending if you want specific wheels for specific cars…
I'd argue F1 current gen, LMP current gen & Indy could all be the same. LMP2s and Indycar both use the Cosworth CCW mk2 and that with some analogue clutch paddles, there are DIY file kits that include this, would pretty comfortably cover all 3 if you wanted something that felt right for the type of car but not going as far as exact replicas for each car you run

Upvote 0
Yes I agree with you.. the ideal collection is 3to4 wheels.

270/280 for f1 open wheekers
300 for gt3
320/330 for road/rally
and the 270 round for classic f1 like lotus49 and 70s & 80s f1

50% of my Sim racing is lotus49 & pack cars in AC. I would feel incomplete without a 270 round.

Did you get the 270 round as yet and does it feel more authentic and real?
Lotus 49 had a 280mm.

Upvote 0
Given the spiraling cost of sim wheels today my ideal would be a common base with quick change wheels. (Won't tell what I'm using, the hoots of derision would be deafening.)

Upvote 0
Given the spiraling cost of sim wheels today my ideal would be a common base with quick change wheels. (Won't tell what I'm using, the hoots of derision would be deafening.)
I've got a number of wheels, but for almost all driving styles, I really only use 1 wheel 80% of the time; the Reverie Eclipse.

No button box, no paddles but feels awesome to use. My other wheels just gather dust.

20221222 - D-Box Movies DSC00877.JPG

Upvote 0
Yes I agree with you.. the ideal collection is 3to4 wheels.

270/280 for f1 open wheekers
300 for gt3
320/330 for road/rally
and the 270 round for classic f1 like lotus49 and 70s & 80s f1

50% of my Sim racing is lotus49 & pack cars in AC. I would feel incomplete without a 270 round.

Did you get the 270 round as yet and does it feel more authentic and real?

But wasn't the lotus49 a 280mm?

ok i know the eras are vast but what size will most closely represent f1/open wheelers from 40s to 90s...? Essentially till the time the f1 wheels were round.

260/270/280

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back