Question about steering wheel style/preferences...

I’m curious why people own multiple steering wheels. Is it mostly to have a more authentic experience (matching the steering wheel to the type of car you’re driving)? Do you actually feel like there’s a difference in driving technique for specific cars that requires a different steering wheel (and is actually applicable in a sim)?

I’ve been using a Sparco P310 wheel for a couple years and use it to race everything from F1 to GT cars, etc. I’ve never felt like I was missing something by not having a specific F1 wheel when racing an F1 car.

Don’t get me wrong... I’m all about having more toys! I’ve got gear acquisition syndrome like I’m sure you all do... I’m just wondering if there’s something I’m missing with not having multiple wheels.

What size is recommended for rally/road cars? Can a particular size be good for both? Thanks

For typical track racing you don't need a round wheel, but for Rally you are going to be sliding and grabbing the wheel all over the place.

I started off with a round 310mm rim that I used for both.

I ended up with a Sparco P310 style rim for all my track use and a 330mm round Momo wheel for Rally. I love both for their particular uses.

YMMV, but I've found those two wheels take care of all of my needs for a few years now. If I spent a lot of time driving F1 cars then I would probably get a dedicated F1 rim as well.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

What size is recommended for rally/road cars? Can a particular size be good for both? Thanks
If you want one size fits all, probably something round around 300mm.
I am using Sport Line (APS) Imola 300 for ACC and DR 2.0. You can have it in suede or leather. Nicely build wheel with excellent ergonomics.

Upvote 0
35 cm for old rally cars, 32 or 33 cm for modern rally cars. If you care about the looks, a dished rim for older cars (even with 2 spokes) and a flat rim for modern cars. More or less the same for road cars. Of course a good round rim will work well for everything. I would stay away from 35 cm. I tried it in my rig and I found it too large, which required too much steering and it felt slow. 32 cm is the best for me, preferably dished or semi-dished (better for drifting).

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Just keep in mind that deep dish wheels do not work well with wheel buttonboxes, so you are limited to bare wheel setup and H/S shifter, which is fine if rally only, but for a dual purpose use can be a hindrance.

Upvote 0
Just keep in mind that deep dish wheels do not work well with wheel buttonboxes, so you are limited to bare wheel setup and H/S shifter, which is fine if rally only, but for a dual purpose use can be a hindrance.
Yes, most button boxes available on the market are impossible to install on dished rims, or at least they look bad, and also you have the problem of the distance to the paddle shifters. However, you can also build your own button box, and if you like rally style, mount a front button box. In my opinion button boxes on a a street or rally car are not really a must (especially with VR) and aesthetically, it's a crime to install one on a beautiful and classy dished rim. As regards paddles, however, you can have them installed, but it requires some adjustments. Some people use spacers to bring the paddles to the front, although they don't look elegant in my opinion. I made my own mount for my semi-dished rim, with custom 3D-printed paddles, which are a bit on angle towards the driver, and the result is very comfortable to use. It was not easy and it required many measurements and tests.

x6bh8Hy.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Just curios what advantage dished wheels have over flat design for sim racing, or it's just necessary evil you have to deal with if you want specific authentic wheel.

Upvote 0
Just curios what advantage dished wheels have over flat design for sim racing, or it's just necessary evil you have to deal with if you want specific authentic wheel.
I have tried both types and it's true that a dished wheel is very helpful for drifting or for those who like moving their hands a lot on the rim. The dished rim gives you confidence as the arms of the wheel don't interfere with your fingers when the steering wheel moves freely with speed and force. It's safer, especially for your thumbs.

As regard drifting, something for me even more important than the dished factor is the shape of the rim. Of course, it has to be round, but for a better experience, it has to be perfectly round, particularly on the outside, without any of the ergonomic bulges that are common on race steering wheel nowadays. Those shapes are good for a nice and comfortable grip, but only if you keep your hands always where they are supposed to be. Leather is also preferred by some drifters over suede, because the latter simply is too sticky with gloves.

Another advantage, which is applicable for real cars, maybe not so much for sim-racing, is that the steering wheel is closer to the driver, so you can move your seat back and have a better weight distribution without the need for spacers. This also helps in some cars which have the pedals way too close to driver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 1066209

Another advantage, which is applicable for real cars, maybe not so much for sim-racing, is that the steering wheel is closer to the driver, so you can move your seat back and have a better weight distribution without the need for spacers. This also helps in some cars which have the pedals way too close to driver.
That's interesting, I've never thought of it being so useful like that. Now if only we can get pedal sliders in the car... :)

Upvote 0
Some supercars have seats fixed in place and adjustable pedals. I don't know the reason.
I believe in GT racing (GT3 & GTE) it's common as it's safer to move those parts have have the seat solidly attached to the car.
In a road supercar it could potentially be a space/vision thing. They may not want the extra height of sliders and be worried about blind spots if the seats are moved.

Upvote 0
This is a good topic as I’ve been thinking exactly this the past few days.. so here’s my story and would love to get some feedback from you guys...

My first wheel was a Logitech G25 and there was no option to swap out the rim, so i was OK with driving F1 cars with a round rim.

A few years passed and I got a Thrustmaster TSPC that came with the Formula style rim. I got into Dirt Rally 2.0 and got myself the Sparco Rally Wheel for obvious reasons... much better for rallying.

I thought that was all that I needed since I could cover most styles of cars with either the formula wheel or the rally wheel... however earlier this year I got the Sparco P310 (which is sort of a “squared” layout.. like a round wheel with a flat top and bottom), thinking that this was better suited for modern GT cars... There is quite a substantial difference in the weight and feel of the rally wheel and the new P310, and the formula wheel is 28 cm diameter while the other two are 33 cm. So now I am happy with 3 styles of wheels.. each one has its unique feeling.

Now here comes my internal debate... I recently re-discovered the McLaren MP4/8 in rFactor 2 and I am IN LOVE with this car, specially with the new updates on the graphics... BUT this car uses a smaller semi-round wheel! Its an F1 car so I drive it with the open wheel style rim, but then I think its not right and try the rounded rally wheel but it’s not right either.. so i try the P310 and thats better but it feels too big... argh! So I am now contemplating the leather 28 round wheel for the oldies F1 cars.. Am I nuts to spend more money on a fourth rim? Do you guys think it’s overkill? Help please! Lol :D
Yes I agree with you.. the ideal collection is 3to4 wheels.

270/280 for f1 open wheekers
300 for gt3
320/330 for road/rally
and the 270 round for classic f1 like lotus49 and 70s & 80s f1

50% of my Sim racing is lotus49 & pack cars in AC. I would feel incomplete without a 270 round.

Did you get the 270 round as yet and does it feel more authentic and real?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have tried both types and it's true that a dished wheel is very helpful for drifting or for those who like moving their hands a lot on the rim. The dished rim gives you confidence as the arms of the wheel don't interfere with your fingers when the steering wheel moves freely with speed and force. It's safer, especially for your thumbs.

As regard drifting, something for me even more important than the dished factor is the shape of the rim. Of course, it has to be round, but for a better experience, it has to be perfectly round, particularly on the outside, without any of the ergonomic bulges that are common on race steering wheel nowadays. Those shapes are good for a nice and comfortable grip, but only if you keep your hands always where they are supposed to be. Leather is also preferred by some drifters over suede, because the latter simply is too sticky with gloves.

I find drifting and rallying easier with a plain, round, smooth steering wheel, with no button box or paddle shifters.

Perhaps my driving technique is wrong, but on fancier wheels, I've jammed my fingers against paddle shifters and I've damaged buttons on the wheel mounted button box when the wheel spins around.

I'm also getting lazy and regardless if I'm driving F1, Rally, GT, Trucks etc, I do 90% of my driving on the same plain, round wheel below.

I've got several fancy looking, high-end branded wheels with various buttons, lights and LCD screens, but I don't use them anymore unless friends come over.

It also doesn't help that they are all USB coiled cable connected, and I just don't want to use wired wheels anymore.

I'm waiting for wireless power (and data) to my Simucube 2, and when that happens I'll start buying more wheels; or conversely if it doesn't, I'll move to another wheel base eco-system.
Sim-Rig-Cockpit-Setup-DSC04494.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you know why they went from gigantic and thin rims on the 50s' F1 to tiny and thick rims on the 60s. Did something technical change in the cars for such a radical modification?

Upvote 0
I find drifting and rallying easier with a plain, round, smooth steering wheel, with no button box or paddle shifters.

Perhaps my driving technique is wrong, but on fancier wheels, I've jammed my fingers against paddle shifters and I've damaged buttons on the wheel mounted button box when the wheel spins around.

I'm also getting lazy and regardless if I'm driving F1, Rally, GT, Trucks etc, I do 90% of my driving on the same plain, round wheel below.

I've got several fancy looking, high-end branded wheels with various buttons, lights and LCD screens, but I don't use them anymore unless friends come over.

It also doesn't help that they are all USB coiled cable connected, and I just don't want to use wired wheels anymore.

I'm waiting for wireless power (and data) to my Simucube 2, and when that happens I'll start buying more wheels; or conversely if it doesn't, I'll move to another wheel base eco-system.
View attachment 607402

Agreed about liking a completely control free wheel for rally. I don't want to grab a paddle shifter or have anything sticking out on.my rally wheel.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing