PC1 Project CARS Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Italia settings

Anyone got a wheel like this or a similar one and has any clue to what a decent setting setup could be?

I have a problem with the deadzone being too high or the wheel just being unresponsive on low inputs or very uneven with the TX preset. If I used xbox controller preset I get rid of the deadzone but the steering is very sensitive and unnatural instead. Playing around with speed sensitivity and controller slider seems to make a difference, but I can't find a sweet spot.

Note that the 458 wheel without ffb is detected as an xbox controller by the pc, although I haven't had any problems like these in AC, iracing or dirt rally :S

I also have this wheel and have been having a few issues just the same. I've been working on some new settings and found this works almost perfectly for me.

Control Scheme:
Custom Wheel (Low Fidelity)

Configuration:
Steering Deadzone = 0
Steering Sensitivity - 100
Leave Deadzone and Sensitivity for Throttle, Brake and Clutch as is.

Speed Sensitivity = 20
Controller Filtering Sensitivity = 5
Damper Saturation = 100

Controller Input Mode = 2
Advanced = On
Soft Streeing Damping = On
Visual Wheel Filtering = Off
Opposite Lock Help = Off

Edit Assignments:
Steer Left and Steer Right come up as Left Thumbstick then just map your button you your own preferences.

There's still a small Deadzone in the centre of the steering but it's very manageable. Hope this helps other 458 Italia wheel users

"In terms of actually in-game use, I'm incredibly dissapointed. I guess part of it is my fault...I knew this wheel had no ForceFeedback but I assumed no one would build a controller without rumble. In the first few moments I realized I shouldn't have assumed this. There is ZERO feedback from games. If you play Forza 4 or F1 2011 in simulation mode, you know how critical it is to have feedback from the tires even if there's no official "Force Feedback". I found myself actually being significantly slower than I am with a regular controller, which is a pretty sad statement. Force Feedback adds a lot of cost to a unit, but for the gains in playability vs cost I can't understand why this doesn't have a rumble feature."

So, I guess the main difference from the Spider is that the Spider has a rubber band for ffb? I'm wondering why they made two of these non ffb wheels, as they are at the same price too!

"In terms of actually in-game use, I'm incredibly dissapointed. I guess part of it is my fault...I knew this wheel had no ForceFeedback but I assumed no one would build a controller without rumble. In the first few moments I realized I shouldn't have assumed this. There is ZERO feedback from games. If you play Forza 4 or F1 2011 in simulation mode, you know how critical it is to have feedback from the tires even if there's no official "Force Feedback". I found myself actually being significantly slower than I am with a regular controller, which is a pretty sad statement. Force Feedback adds a lot of cost to a unit, but for the gains in playability vs cost I can't understand why this doesn't have a rumble feature."

So, I guess the main difference from the Spider is that the Spider has a rubber band for ffb? I'm wondering why they made two of these non ffb wheels, as they are at the same price too!

It's designed for the "console casual" or a kids toy basically, a serious sim racer would go for the TX version or a T300. I only bought the non-ffb version because I was short of cash at the time and needed to replace my SRW-S1

Reactions: Rob
I had the same issue with my Ferrari 458 Italia also, it felt rather unresponsive.

Simply disable the deadzone, and lower the sensitivity to around 40-50, and I would also suggest turning on Speed sensitivity to around 50 also, to get a decent experience.

This is the setup I use, and its taken me hours to perfect it, along with the various other settings! :p

The controller input mode afaik is just a bunch of presets ;< The deadzone on 3 making for less deadzone than 0 sounds strange but if it works :thumbsup:

I was just trying some different settings again, with the same result as before. The closest I've managed to come to my AC setup is using the xbox controller default preset, lower the steering sensitivity to 20-30~ and make minor tweaks to speed sensitivity. The upside to this is that the deadzone problem is gone and you can make very small adjustments with a natural feel.

The downside is that you can't set steering lock so tight turns suck, and it feels like you're trying to make a boat go straight rather than putting as much power to the ground without losing grip with the only solution being playing around with the speed sensitivity slider which is confusing and shouldn't even be necessary.

I think the problem with the deadzone when using a wheel preset is that the wheel is detected as a controller, and there's 5-10~ degrees of the steerling lock when turning fully that has no effect on the 458 wheel. I think this translates into ~10-15 degrees of deadzone when driving - strangely this was never a problem in AC. I tried re-calibrating my wheel in the control panel as well with no improvements. I'm considering just not playing PCars until they get their crap sorted... their official word on it is that the 458 xbox wheel is not supported - but both the xbox controller and the 458 TX are supported so that sounds pretty stupid to me... :rolleyes:
I haven't had any problems in the other 6+ sims I've played with this wheel. Considering plugging my SRW-s1 back in for pcars as well but then I'm without pedals which sucks.

I'll keep you updated if I figured something out!

Edit: Plugged in my SRW, set up a custom wheel and it works flawlessly... Hope they come up with a solution for the 458 wheel soon ;<
I find that doing so will limit how much your wheel will turn once you get up to speed?...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back