Project Cars (from a GSC point of view)

Hi Everyone,

I recently got into sim racing again after a 20 year (yes I last played on Microprose GP) absence.

Just spotted that Project Cars is on steam at 40% off this weekend. I have only played Game Stock Car and have really enjoyed it. Races have been great even on public servers.

What are peoples views on Project Cars. I am particularly after views from those who mostly play GSC as I love the game and don't want to waste my money on Project Cars even at 40% off if it is no fun to play.

What is the on-line community like. Would I be better off waiting for an Assetto Corsa sale if I was only to buy either Project Cars or Assetto Corsa.

Thanks for the advice.

Jim

personally i wouldnt bother with pcars, if your happy with gsc.

Ai is a little off (cut corners etc) and the handling is what i would call forgiving plus the ffb is a pain to get to feel right. I prefer ac but thats my personal opinion. I still think GSC and rf2 are the best of the bunch. If i could sell it on steam i would.

But pcars does look really good and the weather effects are the best in the sim industry, and its licenses and tracks.

You can use the steam refund system as a nice safety net/demo, you've got 14 days and 2hrs of gameplay to ask for a no quibble refund, I've used this a few times now...personally I wish the refund system was in place when I bought pcars as I rarely play it as I can't get the feel right on my wheel, seems to have a very forgiving physics model also...but I know lots of people disagree with me and LOVE pcars.
Personally I say wait for Assetto corsa.

Last edited:
I love both Assetto Corsa and GSC and I downloaded pCars when it came out and spent about 2 frustrated hours trying to get a decent FFB and road feel.
I removed it and IMHO pCars is just NFS Shift 3.

The Sims I now play on a regular basis is:
1. Assetto Corsa ( Hotlapin only, Pretty much useless AI and MP )
2. Dirt Rally (Mostly Rally a bit of RX and zero Hillclimb)
3. RBR
4. GSC

Last edited by a moderator:
pat if thats on steam you should try for a refund and just note why your over 2 hours. I got a refund for a game at 2.30mins.. :)

But back to pcars. I think they tried to bit off more than they could chew. Just so many cars to get the ohysics
right i think there was one or two cars that were ok, but most seemed the same. But ay their marketing dept deserves an oscar.

To the op, put your money into reiza crowd fund, or get ac. Or even rf2 but i wont lie i prefer gsc.

Last edited:
hhhmm dirt rally, both me and mikeala have our issues with that, i wish id waited, because all ive done in DR is create bloody camera mods! Because i cant okay with the default cams. Ive hardly touched rallyx, i thought DR was going to be purely bred rally game.. seemed they lied.

but its good for a cm rally sim/game. im not sure im on the wall atm.

If you want a sim worthy rally game RBR, would probably where its at. But to be honest i cba with the amount of mods etc you need to get it working..

i think a rally sim with the physics and handling somewhere between RBR and DR. That would be the most realistic rally sim. The cars in RBR feel too heavy and cumbersome, whilst the cars in DR feel too darty and grippy.

i think a rally sim with the physics and handling somewhere between RBR and DR. That would be the most realistic rally sim. The cars in RBR feel too heavy and cumbersome, whilst the cars in DR feel too darty and grippy.

Agree on the Rally cars having too much grip in DR but the RX and Hillclimb cars have too little grip and especially the RX cars feels like you're driving a hovercraft IMO.

Codies need to work hard and long on the physics and FFB before I decide to uninstall RBR.

If you can get your wheel set up right and the in game FFB for each car setup then it's great. I have it so I can setup a car's FFB in a minute or so, shame it took me close to 30 hours to get to that point. The racing is really good and if you play offline then the career mode is the best available.

If you dont fancy that but want a new sim I would suggest Rfactor 2 which I consider the king, with the new tools available to modders the RF2 modding scene will soon be overflowing with content like the new Bathurst which is awesome.

I wish I could refund Asseto Corsa from Steam. I repent buying it. But they don't let me because I bought it more than a year ago :D
We need rF2 on Steam with realistic prices based on where you life. ISI please..... :rolleyes:
Buy PCars and test it quickly mate, refund if you don't like. I personaly never tried and will never try it. But heard from someone that race GSC with us in EEC that he does not need to change setups in PCars to go fast, it makes no difference as it does in GSC and even GTR2.

The FFB is a huge issue in Project Cars and the career mode ...
well ...
not really a big fan of - fake social media stuff and "manager mails",
you don't get to do race weekends, just put directly on the grid (at least
in the karts - didn't bother putting more time in)
Physics ... to my limited experience, they feel quite arcady and forgiving.

Assetto Corsa:
Wait if the announced update will really add to the MP side.
Else it's just a nice looking hotlapping simulator with slammers in MP races
driving 24/7 GT3 on Spa.

AI is hit or miss in both sims ... sometimes you can get good races, then
you get the most retarded moves ever no driver would ever do.

I'd stick to GSCE - with the upcoming updates Reiza will reach new levels
and modders add what Reiza can't get done because of time/licenses.
Alternatively, check out rF2 - there's a reason why it's highly praised, but then
again i really wonder what Reiza will be able to do in their upcoming title...

If you're short of cash, stick to Stock Car Extreme. That being said, I race:
1) Dirt Rally
2) Project cars - I love the career mode, so engrossing. The 'social media' is avoidable, as are the karting series altogether. All car series I've raced allow practice and qualifying and you can configure their length to your time available
3) Stock Car Extreme (I'm relatively new to it, but its brilliant, if it had a career mode that linked together all its series, I would only play it!)

Assetto feels great and looks good, but it feels empty for me. Only good for hotlapping to me. Not buying any more DLC for it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back