Post Your Rig!

KS95

RACER Moderator
Hey peoples. I decided to go ahead and start the "post your rig" thread, as suggested by Oelmuvun. Basically, post your specs and/or a picture of your computer/laptop or even your controllers.

I don't have a picture but my specs of my PC build are:

• Intel Celeron E3200 at 2.4Ghz
  • Novatech 2Gb ram
  • Novatech 400W PSU
  • nVidia Geforce GT210 512mb (to be ordered this week, woop!)
  • Seagate Barracuda 250Gb HDD (also to be ordered! :D)
  • Windows 7 (on the way!)

Your turn!!!

Do not waste your money on SR2, go with SR3 or SR4.
With SR2, the farther away your computer is from 3.2GHz in either direction the faster the in-game speed is. So, the passage of time, animations, character movement, etc. Yet the game is not running any faster in terms of FPS.

IIRC Red Faction Guerrilla also had this issue but it was fixed in a patch. SR2 for PC only ever got 6 months of support and things never got officially fixed.

There is actually a third party fix but it involves a lot of trial and error to find the correct value. so I guess that is a non-issue.. :/

Also, there are just slowdown issues in general, I do not recall if it was the fault of not having a fast enough disk, but when you have a then-modern 7200RPM drive you expect it to work decently. I do not remember if this ever got fixed, but I was certainly not using a slow PC and I am not the only one to have that issue.

I *think* there was an issue when playing coop where between missions one person or another would get booted.. idk.

Even with it's terribad old console-port graphics it still would have been a great game if there were not so many issues with it.

Just reailzed I never mentioned the latest things with my rig/setup. Moved it from the basement to my room, and found out the overclocked processor (I had it overclocked by nearly 1gHz) did not like the temperature change, so right now its running at around 4.0gHz (stock its 3.4gHz). Also the move gave me a chance to build the desk of my dreams... sorta... I built it back in May and the only real issue I've noticed with it is stability, despite adding pieces in to help it, its still not quite as stable as my old desk, I think I know how to fix it, just haven't. Also I wish I would of made the hutch a couple inches taller to fit my speakers underneath. As well as putting the shelve further above my computer to aid cooling.

Things I should point out about my new desk is that it should be dual monitor capable, and under the desk is enough room for me to store my wheel (maybe I should build in a storage area for it next, to keep it off the floor). Also as can be seen from the picture, I can have my laptop and desktop right next to me, haven't figured a good way to sync data between the two yet, but I will eventually.
2013-05-27_17-35-56_512_zps89b4c6df.jpg

So building your desk, how hard can it be? Not as hard as you may think, especially if you keep it simple, and its cheaper then buying a real desk.

Oh man I forgot about this thread.

In October I upgraded to:
i7 4770k ocd to 4.7GHz. It will do 4.8 but would need 1.4v+
ASUS Maximus VI Hero
16GB DDR3-2400
Radeon HD 7950 3GB
Intel 520 120GB, 2x WDCB RAID0, Seagate 4TB(all from previous build)
Corsair TX750W (from previous build)

At the time I crammed it in my old case to hold it temporarily until I was done modding the next case but I have been slacking off. The new case still needs a few more holes cut and I do not want to paint inside during winter.

The stock Intel cooler was getting me down so the water loop I am using in my temporary rig was original setup in November to fit my next case but then I later added the GPU block so idk if it will still fit without swapping a hose or two. *shrug* good excuse to get a waterblock for my motherboard since the loop will be drained in the future! :D

I have also relidded and lightly lapped the CPU, tossing some diamond thermal compound under the heatspreader. This is it apart.(before lapping of course) Had to lap it after my vice mangled it because it would not grip the IHS with shims in the jaws. :/
http://poopr.org/images/vfrdmwhtiszbkbtp7y.jpg

Anyway! My temporary rig until spring or sometime. please excuse the mess:
bwkpx4i2bmrqpg0iy5d9.jpg

This is temporary remember! The loop was never supposed to be used with this case. :whistling:
Very ugly but it works extremely well.

I came upon a decent price for a used Radeon HD 7950 with a waterblock included, so I swapped it in place of my original air cooled Radeon HD 7950. :p
http://poopr.org/images/t0t6o3j25ihauoe0jeoz.jpg
Need a 5mm or so extension for my low profile compression fittings to fit on the one side of the GPU waterblock. :(
http://poopr.org/images/xumml25yco99merqw7c.jpg
The aircooled card is going toward a completely separate rig that will have three(ancient budget) displays.. but that is not anytime soon.

I have also ripped apart my Das Keyboard Professional Model S.
Painted over the glossy plastic with a slighty rubberized car undercoating stuff for a nice texture.
Moved the LEDs around a bit.
Desoldered all the Cherry MX Blue switches and swapped the springs out as well. The donor springs were from MX Black switches in a Steelseries 7G that has been sitting around for a couple years.
Keyboard from top:
http://poopr.org/images/5fr1y69ehc1tz6hgig.jpg
A tale of two switch-piles:
http://poopr.org/images/c7uht4u5ucqzythrntk.jpg
These switches are now pretty much Cherry MX Greens. :thumbsup:

Oh, and here is a Cinebench R11.5 result at 4.8GHz. :p
http://poopr.org/images/3o3bhzch85ooab665jmc.jpg
Two full points is a pretty nice increase.

And Harey, sorry to swoop in and post right after you distracting everybody. You made your own desk, that is cool. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
And Harey, sorry to swoop in and post right after you distracting everybody. You made your own desk, that is cool. :thumbsup:
That's not a problem since it is the "Post your Rig" thread lol, maybe some years down the road I'll build my own case ;) . Any shots of your new case? Your old one looks a bit overwhelmed with the liquid cooling there lol.

No pics of my PC, but I've got a Fractal R4 case to build over Christmas...

Moving from my old Coolermaster Stacker 801 black... not a bad case by all accounts I just want something less 'wow' and quieter and a bit smaller etc.

Planning to do a full re-install of everything and get an image backup of a totally 'fresh' state of the C drive. Somehow they fill up with junk and slow down over the years!

Will post pics of my progress :D

Dave

My old POS finally died, the PSU exploded. So I headed on to overclockersUK and purchased my new rig.

Intel i5 4690 (Haswell), nVidia GTX970, 8gb ram, 1Tb HDD. May consider a solid state for the operating system but at the moment I don't see the need spending any more on it. I'll maybe double the ram at some point I'm pretty happy.

ToLRB65.jpg

That sounds plenty good enough for general use/gaming etc.

I have 16gb ram but I'm using my PC for work every day doing video/3d/graphics work etc.

My GPU is a fair bit slower and I run 3 screens.

Also my GPU is an i7 which is handy for some workstation tasks, but not so beneficial in games.

The only thing I'd recommend is probably an SSD for the OS, they do make a decent difference.

You really can get a nice computer these days for not much cash as long as you keep realistic about what you really need.
It's easy to spend silly money but the benefits become fractional very quickly, and the depreciation is still just as bad, as is the obsolescence.

I'll put some pics of mine up later :)

Windows seems happy to use as much RAM as I have, which actually slowed down booting a bit when I upgraded from 4 to 12GB cause now it's reading about 7GB worth of stuff into cache off my fairly slow HDD. It is nice for how much less often I run into the limit though, since web browsers are using >2GB easily nowadays.

Yeah a few tabs in Chrome seem to use a crazy amount of RAM.

I have 16gb here, and would potentially like 32gb just because some files I deal with get really huge... like video files, point cloud files (processing mostly), and so on.

Once you have PS open, your browsers, 3D apps, Racer running etc, you can soon eat into most of 16gb.

But I can still get my work and play done fine with 16gb, just like I used to with 8gb and so on down the years :)

If anything I'm wanting more storage/auto-backup/distributed capability these days. Looking at a PC for recording TV/storing all the 'household' data in a RAID system/backup kinda thing, and then using RaspPi2s to interface with all the media via TVs etc.

Dave

Yeah a few tabs in Chrome seem to use a crazy amount of RAM.

I have 16gb here, and would potentially like 32gb just because some files I deal with get really huge... like video files, point cloud files (processing mostly), and so on.

Once you have PS open, your browsers, 3D apps, Racer running etc, you can soon eat into most of 16gb.

But I can still get my work and play done fine with 16gb, just like I used to with 8gb and so on down the years :)

Dave
I use Firefox, seems fine on my desktop with 8GB RAM, but my laptop, needs more RAM, its got half what my desktop has, even Firefox seems to eat up RAM like its free for the taking, then leave none for other programs.

I've got Firefox setup as my 'lite' browser, for browsing proper. No ads, no cookies, no history, no usernames etc.

Then Chrome is my social/e-commerce browser for stuff like this etc.

Ideally I'd prefer a standalone instance of browser for every website given how terribly interconnected the web has become over the last 5 years. All this tracking has become ridiculous.

I've tried to use AdNauseum but it doesn't seem to work properly, but I can see a future where there are plugins that just browse randomly all over the internet (with a black list of sites to avoid of course), clicking on everything, and just turning your profile into garbage from an advertisers POV.

Dave

Oh, I forgot to post an update of the changes about ten months ago. Bold = changes.
i7 4770k Full frontal nud.. er, delidding!
ASUS Maximus VI Hero
16GB DDR3-2400
Crossfire: Radeon HD 7950 3GB & Radeon HD 7950 3GB Boost
Intel 520 120GB, 2x 2TB WDCB RAID0, Seagate 4TB
Corsair AX760i
InWin Q500 case

It is not 100% but it is close enough.
The radiator is on a hinge so it swings out for access.
Pretty happy about how the water loop fit, just had to change one piece of tubing to make room for the second GPU that was originally intended for a dedi simracing rig that got canned.
hxIOUty.jpg

Radiator swung out:
http://i.imgur.com/fX7NlPM.jpg

Front of case:
http://i.imgur.com/EUcjarH.jpg

Naked CPU ready for thermal compound and waterblock:
KSqeB7h.jpg

Also started using a CM Storm Spawn mouse, and Unicomp Classic 104 Trackball keyboard. Because buckling springs.

Intel i5 4670k
GTX 780 ti SLI
Corsair RM 750 PSU
512 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
3 27" Asus MX279H
Thrustmaster T300 w/ Ferrari GTE Rim
Fanatec Clubsport V2 Pedals
Fanatec Clubsport Shifter SQ
Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround
20150414_233627.jpg
20150414_233641.jpg
20150414_233652.jpg

Last edited:
After spending most of the day sitting around waiting, for no joke 9 hours. My computer has been, slightly upgraded. The old OS drive (160GB) was on its way out clearly, doesn't help it was almost 10 years old. So I upgraded to a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD. Had the original system's image backed up and spent 9 hours for it to re image the entire computer. Now my computer no longer has the beeps, and I have more storage on my OS drive to boot.

But that's not all I got. I also got a Razer Taipan mouse, and a Razer BlackWidow keyboard. To replace my aging Razer Deathadder 3.5G and Microsoft Media Pro keyboard. The keyboard is full mechanical, and has a satisfying clicky-ness to it, like a type writer of old.
VZM.IMG_20160125_144619_zpsxqa2xrnh.jpg

IMG_20160126_011235468_zpsuqlhunxc.jpg

Note the date on the old OS drive here lol.
IMG_20160125_155508930_HDR_zpsdizhupdf.jpg

Moin,
first time i remember to make a pic...
After cleaning to day...
20160611_223643.jpg

20160611_223717.jpg

oh...yes, here are working 4 vents to get the CPU at 46°C...Overclocked...
smallest (rear) 100mm, biggest (on top) 210mm...over all are 9 vents assembelt...nr. 10 is WIP... ;)

Alex

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea