Post Pictures thread (Part 2)

Find the screenshot thread part 1: here

A project..

screenshot082copy.jpg

fordrs500.jpg

Just working through the RS500 + Rudskogen cg shaders, still need to figure out how the Carlswood asphalt shader treats specular so the ground doesn't shine so much.

Nice images there! :)
Carlswood I think uses the 'burn' shader, which uses red to reduce specular. But it's nicer to add normalmapping+specularMap (rgb/a) and not to use diffuse.r for the specular burn.

Roads probably deserve their own shader; I've read about Oren-Nayar shading ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oren–Nayar_reflectance_model ) which includes roughness. That would make the road less dark when the sun gets low. Although it's not that big a deal, most of what we see in Racer is road, grass and sky, so they deserve some attention.

Roads are best with rgb diffuse, then rgb normals and alpha spec on a second texture... I've been doing that here with a modified standard_bump file (just added baseCol.a to the specular term)

Roads have much more depth and feel to them, loads of texture, things like cracks or seams in the road really pop out at sunset etc :D

Dave

Roads probably deserve their own shader; I've read about Oren-Nayar shading ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oren–Nayar_reflectance_model ) which includes roughness. That would make the road less dark when the sun gets low. Although it's not that big a deal, most of what we see in Racer is road, grass and sky, so they deserve some attention.

It seems like doing correct (linear space) lighting helps with that too, http://filmicgames.com/archives/299 has some examples near the bottom that look better than the Lambert render.

Probably worth giving the Oren-Nayar method a try, or at least an approximation. I'll fiddle around with it later. Wonder how you would estimate a good value of rho.

Hmm, assuming the road's texture is mostly based on ambient occlusion (rather than the mix of gravel, asphalt, etc.), the texture's brightness can probably act as a heightmap to generate the normal map. Might have to tweak the levels a bit to make it look right though.

My Dad has a remote flash for his camera, maybe I can borrow it to take good concrete/pavement heightmaps using that method sometime. It's started snowing here so I may have to wait until spring to get roads though :(

Racer is doing linear space lighting now though :D ;)

It seems like Oren Nayar is ideal then for rough diffuse surfaces, while lambert is ideal for smooth diffuse components of materials that might have a fairly high specular sharpness and/or reflection overlay...

The road texture capture for normal map is a good idea, but I've tried it before and it's not ideal mainly because you get the specular component in there, which can come from deep in the material, or off the surface top etc.
Probably best as per a link on Filmicgames, is to grab a linear polariser for the camera and one for your flash/light source, then you can grab a true diffuse map and a true specular map (or almost there any way)...
Still not hugely useful for the bump map maybe (you'd have to experiment), but it should hopefully give better results :D

Dave

U can use the nVidia Photoshop tools to create normalmaps also. Work with Photoshop CS & better.

Just a note - http://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap/#Download is a version for the gimp.

Maybe I'll try http://zarria.net/nrmphoto/nrmphoto.html for the photographic version. Gotta find some textures to photo... stucco ceiling would be a good test maybe??

Tried to add a bumpmap texture to the asphalt and it makes it look wet, not sure if I'm using the wrong shader or just bad specular settings.

I used dyn_bump_reflect, or whatever it is, for the wet road look.

I then used the alpha on the diffuse channel for reflection strength, and alpha on the normal map channel to do specular on top of that (for more sheen rather than reflections of buildings/trees etc)

Then I used a custom fresnel to get it feeling better still.

That link for making normal maps works well. I've used it a few times. An as controlled environment as possible is the key thing. I've also been making nice setups in 3DS Max so I can model the things and use them as a base for the normal map, which is also giving excellent results for my tyres... that said, it's surprising when I then output a diffuse map and use the nVidia tools, how close the result is (that said the diffuse channel is very clean on a 3d output too, while photo sourcing often has noise and surface colouring that ruins normal map production from them without lots of cleaning up :(

All fun :D

Dave

Very nice, although the rear lights look a little too bright for daylight...

That shader needs blendfunc=blend adding for the lights...

vf_transparent
{
vertex_shader
{
file=dyn_standard_reflect_window_v.cg
}
fragment_shader
{
file=dyn_standard_reflect_window_f.cg
}
}

vf_transparrent
{
cast_shadow=0
compression=0
reflect=0
sort_offset=0
layer0
{
map=texture.tga
emission=15 15 15 1
}
layer1
{
map=$trackenvmap
}
}

That kinda thing. Then tweak emission.

Cool picture though :D

Tending to think there is something wrong with the shaders maybe though, for tyres, or maybe it's the shadows system. That is a general observation of all cars though...
Even with just a spec map or standard shader they seem to be able to get lit on the top half, even when they should be shadowed sometimes. Ie, in your pic the tops of the tyres are lit, but they should be dark.

Hmmmm

The old old original fancy shadow system worked fine in that regard though :D

Anyone know how to easily make that old version work in the current system again, from a comparison POV (check the improvement we have got in FPS and quality since they first arrived :D )

Dave

Tending to think there is something wrong with the shaders maybe though, for tyres, or maybe it's the shadows system. That is a general observation of all cars though...
Even with just a spec map or standard shader they seem to be able to get lit on the top half, even when they should be shadowed sometimes. Ie, in your pic the tops of the tyres are lit, but they should be dark.

I think its the smCor shadow parameters and self shadowing. The default parameters make the self shadows offset too much, for example, the shadow of the side mirror is way off etc.

While I can tweak the parameters to get near perfect self shadowing, I start getting severe shadow aliasing artifacts when the light hits from an angle...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.