Cars Porsche 911 (991) GTA / GT3 cup

Kunos has done amazing job on theirs though, has to be said! They have bit more detail on the chassis, with more dents and paneling, not sure if it's part of the mesh or just texture

well, If there are still people who didn't bough the Kunos Porsche pack, I'm sure this one will do for them
You've spent much more time and effort working on it than the devs, so I'd rather use your model tbh. More time spent working on a single mod usually leads to more accurate and better detail, and that's something that I can respect.

wow!!! wow!!! wow!!!! best onboard sounds ever heard on a mod so far, the gearbox whining is spot on and you can still listen to the engine revving and downshifting correctly

Really glad you like it. It's not quite done yet, got to experiment with some high pitch transmission noise, but as soon as it is I'll link you guys to it to implement to the car

Whoa, I would have expected for the physics to take way longer :)
Combination of three things that allowed it to go quickly. The first is that it was already halfway there; almost all of the research was done four or five years ago (that's what takes time on a project like this - in contrast to the P13, where development time is brought on by feature development). The second is that there really isn't a huge amount of data for this car. The lack of data and general lack of interest to get it perfect in this particular case makes the effort quite a lot more straightforward. In any case, it should at least be more accurate than the Kunos Cup car is. The last is that I've streamlined my process over the five years I've worked with AC so that making a simple car (like the GTA) goes very quickly.

I'm so excited to try a car that I like with mclarenf1papa's physics development ("MCLf1papa's physics" doesn't sound right but I guess the term could be used too)
Never tried before since I don't like prototypes or other car style you've made before.
So really looking forward to this car, since the beginning, being one of my favorites series car, and after listening to acfan's sounds development I'm double the excited

Please don't take this as an overly negative response or an attack on anyone here - it's not supposed to be. I have my own opinion about that sound which I'm not going to post here. But more importantly, in my humble opinion "best onboard sounds ever heard on a mod" is not good feedback and in stark contrast to the actual feedback of the rest of the post where it says what's actually good about the sound.

As for mclarenf1papa's post, I appreciate the candid words and explanation though if I wouldn't temper my expectations for mods in advance something like "general lack of interest to get it perfect in this particular case" could be quite disappointing to read. The end result will speak for itself, and as I say I have no particular expectations (let alone real world reference), but I would always at least prefer modders to have a genuine interest in their work. Just my thoughts on this.

Anyway, keep it up. I've been following this mod for a long time and it's been coming along very well.

Please don't take this as an overly negative response or an attack on anyone here - it's not supposed to be. I have my own opinion about that sound which I'm not going to post here. But more importantly, in my humble opinion "best onboard sounds ever heard on a mod" is not good feedback and in stark contrast to the actual feedback of the rest of the post where it says what's actually good about the sound.

As for mclarenf1papa's post, I appreciate the candid words and explanation though if I wouldn't temper my expectations for mods in advance something like "general lack of interest to get it perfect in this particular case" could be quite disappointing to read. The end result will speak for itself, and as I say I have no particular expectations (let alone real world reference), but I would always at least prefer modders to have a genuine interest in their work. Just my thoughts on this.

Anyway, keep it up. I've been following this mod for a long time and it's been coming along very well.
There’s a bit of a double standard here within the community - the same thing I’ve said applies to almost every Kunos-made car. And on some, it very much shows. Plenty are wildly inaccurate for a variety of reasons. The community generally can’t tell the difference, or doesn’t try to tell the difference (assuming Kunos is always right), in any case. For me, I’ll try to get the car as close as possible with the data I have, but that won’t involve hundreds of hours of work like it did with the Car Pack cars; after five years, the interest to put in that level of effort for the Porsche is gone. And anyway, it’ll still be more accurate than the Kunos Cup. You’re getting a free car that’s better than one you paid for, so there’s nothing to be worried about, disappointed about, or write a post about, really.

I think there are many good reasons why those mods get made though. One is that it is difficult to find data so pretty much every car mod doesn't have things like exact suspension geometry, any kind of aero numbers or any setup values. Not to mention tires even though I think the kunos tires are very good place to start tho?

But another thing I feel is equally important. The people who make the mods. I'd assume that high percentage of mods are made as first mods by people who may not have in-depth mechanical understanding. So they are learning as they go, sometimes from very low level up. So when you combine the lack of data with inexperienced physics makers you have very tricky situation where the physics creators are required to make educated guesses everywhere and the lack of experience means you can get wide variety of results based on what the physics maker thought he had. I think in those situations the driving skills of the physics creator also plays a big role. If the person can not bring the car even close to its limits chances are he is tuning the vehicle based on feedback that is not relevant to how it actually will be or was driven.

There’s a bit of a double standard here within the community - the same thing I’ve said applies to almost every Kunos-made car. And on some, it very much shows. Plenty are wildly inaccurate for a variety of reasons. The community generally can’t tell the difference, or doesn’t try to tell the difference (assuming Kunos is always right), in any case. For me, I’ll try to get the car as close as possible with the data I have, but that won’t involve hundreds of hours of work like it did with the Car Pack cars; after five years, the interest to put in that level of effort for the Porsche is gone. And anyway, it’ll still be more accurate than the Kunos Cup. You’re getting a free car that’s better than one you paid for, so there’s nothing to be worried about, disappointed about, or write a post about, really.
So on the other hand you're assuming Kunos puts no effort in/no interest in their work/has all the data but doesn't implement it?

But I got it, I get a mod car for free, so I have no right to post about it. Shouldn't have bothered posting in the first place, this kind of response was expected.

So on the other hand you're assuming Kunos puts no effort in/no interest in their work/has all the data but doesn't implement it?
They put in a specific level of effort and assume data manufacturers give them is correct, it's a level where they can produce 100+ cars in 3 years

I'm sure McF1 didn't mean they put NO effort, but they can't be developing it for a year +
Yes, it's been too long for this car to be made, which made the interrest and desire for it go down a bit,

but, we all do this in our free time, taking away from our sleep ( I often go to sleep at 2am , and get up 7:30am these days)

doing it for free is what gives - at least to me - more freedom to work on this when I want, rather then whenever I can.
That's why some modders went for payware mods, cause the income becomes the motivation and the need to finish it in time

But that's not what I do - at least not at the moment

But I got it, I get a mod car for free, so I have no right to post about it. Shouldn't have bothered posting in the first place, this kind of response was expected.
You have a right to post about it, but I equally have a right to post about why I think your opinion is misplaced. And I’m not assuming anything. I’m looking at the data and saying “this car has 80 hp less than it should” or “this car’s aero sensitivity is nothing like what it should be” or “this car has the inertial properties of a cruise ship.” Don’t get me wrong, I respect the work they’ve done, but it’s a case of:
They put in a specific level of effort and assume data manufacturers give them is correct, it's a level where they can produce 100+ cars in 3 years
And also things like the Kunos Cup’s spring rates being incorrectly implemented or its power curve being completely different than the one in the car’s technical manual.

@Ghoults I was talking about Kunos cars, not mods. And one of the problems with (all) Kunos cars is that their tires are quite a bit off in certain areas, but that’s not really a discussion to be had in this thread.

@Epistolarius

The community's too misguided to know what's right or not and they don't have any expertise to judge from. They'll even scrutinize mods that are more accurate than any single KS car because they feel something is off, without even having anything to back it up with.

The reality of the matter is that Kunos, for example, directly ripped my (incorrectly determined) damper values for the R34 GT-R decimal to decimal, changed the rear rebound threshold speed 0.01m/s higher and called it a day. They just assumed my data, which isn't even OEM data, is correct. When I confronted them about it, they also told me to go -redacted- myself, not being aware it's my data in the first place.

They'll assume anything is correct because they don't do any research at all compared to what good modders do, and need to deliver in an unreasonable timeframe because they made too many cars. Community loves the cars too, so they're basically being paid for doing 5% of the work.

When us modders who actually do things properly (Because we are not under time pressure to deliver a car in a day or two) say things like "I didn't have enough time nor did I care enough to make it perfect this time" you can still assume a car with more research and data in it than most official cars.

/rant

Papa's car will be fine, don't worry.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes