Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

If im not wrong, thats the very reason to go with one PSU ONLY on the Pro, because the minimal difference between 2 R1 PSUs could cause loss FFB when enough Power is requiered.
So It is not crazy to try the new PSU over R1 because the R1s can work with only one PSU.
Does that mean if I use my SC2 Pro at like only 20%, I can unplug the second PSU and may actually benefit from it? Apart from uncluttering the rig?

Upvote 0
Does that mean if I use my SC2 Pro at like only 20%, I can unplug the second PSU and may actually benefit from it? Apart from uncluttering the rig?

Would be interesting if somebody tried this. I mean it is not difficult to just unplug one of them and see what happens?

Last edited:
Upvote -1
Yes You can, records at Granite Forums can assure that some folks were running their PROs with one single PSU ( the second one not plugged by mistake) and only noted that when SC2 requests full power and FFB Faded away. Just dont run at full power, 17nm like the Sport could be OK i think (undervoltage XD)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We are not sure about this, and need to do some extended reliability testing
before we can make the decision to sell the new PSU as an upgrade.
For sure we would like to avoid using that splitter cable.
I speculate that SC2 R1 has separate (PWM) drivers for each power supply.
... after searching, found a circuit board image that supports my speculation:
d1dbf306566a6f77537e518b3b918040f0338d3f.jpeg

... those not quite symmetric dark gray rectangles immediately adjacent to molex connectors would be the drivers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
About mounting the single PSU of SC2 Pro R2,
does it have any mounting holes or do I have to fabricate a holder?
And is it ok to screw it to the rig or should it be as far away as possible?

When it will be delivered next month it will be my first DD wheel :mad:

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
@blekenblue: Now why would you confuse the dc psu and USB HID interface to the controller with the pwm used to drive the 3-phase servo?

What you see in your photo is definitely not pwm drivers. Those are located on the (opposite) servo-driver pcb.

Cheers,
Beano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Pro was two 48 V PSUs in parallel, with some beefy balancing resistors that are visible in the picture. If only one PSU is used, all the current comes via only one of these balancing resistors. While we have overspecified them so that the one resistor would never overheat, we have not done detailed endurance testing on using just one PSU. So there is still something for us to test before we could event start thinking of selling the new 450 W (peak) PSU as an upgrade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’m sure it could be done and it wouldn’t be a problem for 99% of users. But GD would never (IMO) officially support it because that would open them up to support claims from people who manage to fry their circuit board running their SC2 at full current.
To be honest, when I bought my SC2 Pro, I already had made the decision to do so despite it having two PSU’s. That’s a non-issue for me anymore since the PSU’s are high quality and already factored into my build.

Upvote 0
I’m sure it could be done and it wouldn’t be a problem for 99% of users. But GD would never (IMO) officially support it because that would open them up to support claims from people who manage to fry their circuit board running their SC2 at full current.

I'm sure that they are being conservative about this, which is perfectly fine. I wasn't making a statement of distruct so much as deciding it's not worth bothering with since the 2 PS's are not causing me any hardship and everything is running well.

Upvote 0
I’m sure it could be done and it wouldn’t be a problem for 99% of users.
According to:
some beefy balancing resistors that are visible in the picture
These would be in series with each power supply, so nominally in parallel with each other.
By feeding thru only one connector, voltage drop will double, presumably reducing motor responsiveness and potentially (no pun intended) increasing current.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Has anyone tried new Sim-lab quick release. Is it any good?

EDIT: Found some references and info from Richard. It's just standard automotive QR, not in house design and they do not sell wheel side part. So kind of not very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Has anyone tried new Sim-lab quick release. Is it any good?

EDIT: Found some references and info from Richard. It's just standard automotive QR, not in house design and they do not sell wheel side part. So kind of not very useful.

What are you looking for in another QR? I have only had my SC2 for about a week but the SC2 QR system seems pretty good to me. I don't have any play or flex that I can notice.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

What are you looking for in another QR? I have only had my SC2 for about a week but the SC2 QR system seems pretty good to me. I don't have any play or flex that I can notice.
I already have another QR, much prefer Buchfink Q1R over stock.

HRS Xero Play would be even better, but a bit pricey.
If anybody knows a best place to get it with shipping to US, please post here.

Upvote 0
The new Fanatec ^^^ Podium GT4 wheel ^^^ makes me wonder if I should take a serious look at a Podium DD. Although, I could probably only afford one OR the other, so . . . yeah. :p ;)

Still, the wheel looks impressively cool and suites my preference perfectly.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 180 66.7%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 116 43.0%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 125 46.3%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 52 19.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 73 27.0%
Back