Poäng DriveTable DIY Cockpit

Hi guys, I'm a newbie and here is my story.

IMG_6336s.jpg

So at some point I realised that "Oh, it would be great to spend some time in SimRacing".
This means I need a build a comfortable seat with a drive wheel. I was looking at Poäng chair in the guest room.
After short research I figured out that I'm not the first one who will use Ikea chair for home driving. I found some interesting solutions, but none of them matched the picture I had in my mind.
So I decided started this project, and now would like to share what I got.

Gears​

PC + TV
Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 Wheel
Fanatec CS v1 Pedals

Fanatec set I bought used, but in almost perfect condition for €180.
Poäng chair cost me €25

First things first.
To make something we need to come up with requirements.
1. Cheap. I put myself into tight budget limits for this hobby.
2. Yet the solution should be fairly good and fulfil it's purpose.
3. Compact and revertible. (More on this later)

Iteration 1​

Goal:​

• Try to drive with what I have and find problems to solve in next iterations.
First step was to get some understanding on where the wheel base positioning. With no any previous experience this transformed into "ahh, whatever, let's just attach it to something". That was easily done with small table in front of the chair.

IMG_6448s.jpg

IMG_6452s.jpg

Findings:​

• small table won't work
  • the base should be firmly fixed for active driving
  • and preferably connected to the chair

Iteration 2 Development loop​

Strategy:​

• Using known findings come up with a new design
  • Try it
  • Iterate

Tactics:​

• Find a wheel base position so it's possible to attach it to the chair.
Having in mind an image of future solution I want in this iteration make a simple PoC to check will it work. So the idea is simple: using improvised materials what already have at home make a new small table-like construction, mount wheelbase on it, and connect with chair.
So the wheel base was mounted on the unused bookshelf (from Ikea Billy) sized ~80x27x2, then check how this bookshelf can be attached to the chair.
Couple of wood planks left over from previous projects plus some duct tape served well here.

IMG_0076s.jpg

So now we have quite a cockpit. The wheel feels solid and ready to any active driving. It's easy to adjust driving position for kids and adults.
So far so good. Iteration looks successful. Now it's time to use gained knowledge and make a next move.

PoC Findings:​

• convenient to use for kids and parents
  • steering wheel feels very solid
  • it's super inconvenient to get in and out
  • wood pieces and bookshelf made all the chair quite heavy
  • steering wheel on a same base as driver body feels better than connected separately.

Iteration 3​

Goal:​

• Get a fool step-by-step vision for DriveTable build process.

Strategy:​

• Understand reasonable toolset
  • Create detailed blueprint
  • Choose furniture
  • Iterate until goal is considered achieved

Tactics:​

• take measurements of current prototype, and estimate the size of the DriveTable
  • make a Poäng model in a 3d, and draw DriveTable on top of it. Later we'll use this 3d as a blueprint.
Let's update the

Requirements #2​

• Solid. Light. Cheap. Simple.
  • Easy to get in/out.
  • Usable for kids and adults.
  • Safe.
  • Compact and revertible.
So what exactly revertible means here? It means that it should be possible to detach DriveTable in a more or less easy way, so the original chair remains virtually "untouched". Practicaly this means - no drilling holes in the chair.

Looks achievable, so let's start with modeling. It's as easy as drawing an owl.
  1. make Chair.
  2. make prototype. no image of this step
  3. make DriveTable.
DriveTable_model_01.jpgDriveTable_model_02.jpg

How would we connect parts to each other?
To make it convenient to use we'll make the table openable. For this we need hinges. Let's keep in mind that table should be connected to double-thick basement.
IMG_0126s.jpg
Look is nice. Size is good. Price is ok. Sold.

From the other side of the table we need some kind of locking mechanism.
IMG_0128s.jpg
Hmmmm. NO.

The hinges I found in a yachting department. So lets use same approach with the lock.Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 13.58.01.png

Look is nice. Size is good. Price is ok. Sold.

Last edited:
Now let's apply this on the model. To figure out best positioning and mounting.
DriveTable_model_03.jpgDriveTable_model_04.jpg
Result:
DriveTable_model_05.jpgDriveTable_model_06.jpg

I don't want to table to be held only with the hinges and the lock, so I'll keep in mind additional positioning trick. You'll see on the photos later.
Also since the table with attached wheel base daw significant weight, we'll add lifting gas spring later.
We are ready to start building.

Iteration 4​

Goal: tools overview.
IMG_0407s.jpg
Looks good.

Iteration 5​

Goal: build DriveTable.
Thanks to the keep it simple principle during design phase, the build process was fast.
Starting with the table itself. Just one cut.
Original size 20x80. Cut line marked on photo.

IMG_0189s.jpg

Table is ready!

Continue with side rails. Here is the same: we need to make just one cut to splint plank.
Original wood piece was 90x6x1.8cm. We'll make two 69cm + 21cm. Now we'll use these two parts to make a table base. Parts was glued one to each other, and armed with three wood pins inside.
DriveTable_model_07.jpg

Well.. That's it for today, we need give wood glue time to dry out. Tomorrow these two parts should be as solid as one.

Next day:
  • Make cuts for hinges and the lock
  • Drill mounting holes
  • Round the corners
  • Assemble
  • add pins

Pins​

These pins is a additional positioning trick I mentioned earlier.
IMG_0406s.jpg
Let's virtually split all side loads on the table on horizontal and vertical. Pins will take all the horizontal load, and hinges and the lock - vertical.
To implement this we drill side rails, put pins inside, drill counter hole in the bottom of the table.
Please check what PorscheMan showing us:
IMG_0405s.jpg

Yeah, basically that is it. We are ready to test drive.

Last edited:
But we haven't discuss how all this construction going to be attached to the chair, right?
Previously, with the PoC prototype, I was using one-handed-clamps for short term mounting, and duct tape for mid term mounting.
If to make a kiss of these two technologies, we might end up with tie down strap, which I have used along with rubber pads in between.
IMG_0410s.jpgIMG_0409s.jpg

DriveTable is ready.
IMG_0192s.jpg

IMG_0191s.jpg

IMG_0194s.jpg

IMG_0193s.jpg

Oh.. We'll have to wait until this Fluffy Schumacher learns all the Nordschleife turns and let us try.

With thrustmaster
IMG_5517s.jpg

Table with curved edges
IMG_0403s.jpg

Total DriveTable weight: 3,5kg

Costs:
Wood parts ~€15
Hinges €21.58
Lock €19.99
Minor mount parts ~€10.00
Gas spring €4.98
Tie down strap €5.40
Metal pins €2.75
___
Total: €83.55

Later I bought a ps3 cam to use it as TrackIR cam.
cam + holder + some paid soft for it ~€25
___
Total 2: €108.55

Last edited:
P.S. Some additional photos + Bonus!

As a Bonus we'll get perfect sequential shifter for €15.
IMG_0418.jpegIMG_0419.jpeg
IMG_0420.jpegIMG_0421.jpegIMG_0422.jpegIMG_0423.jpeg

Bonus:
IMG_0417.jpeg

Industrial Two-positional Joystick for 11€ + €4cheapest USB gamepad to connect joystick to the PC. The shifter is in pre-last PoC state. The next step is to add some aesthetics.
Screenshot 2023-06-03 at 13.54.44.png

As an extra bonus now we have small button box!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Small update for shifter.
On the last photos it was in PoC state. Wires made it a bit difficult to take a driver position.
So now the wires are better integrated into the gamepad, and also some cable manegment was applied. Let's take a look.

IMG_0488.jpeg

IMG_0489.jpeg

And this how cabels placed now

IMG_0502.jpeg IMG_0501.jpeg
IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0504.jpeg

Shifter exterior had been updated a bit as well.
IMG_0500.jpeg IMG_0499.jpeg

Thank you, for checking this post! )
Have a nice driving.

Last edited:
Not sure how I missed this post...? Anyway, not bad. I remember just a few short years ago I started with something very simple, similar to this. It was actually quite a bit less than yours. Spring loaded wheel and 2 pedal set that you sat on with the wheel between your legs. Its grown to about a 30 sq ft area that takes up a corner of my living room complete with Arduinos everywhere, displays, button boxes, vibration, and wind. How far you want to take it is the only limiting factor that decides how far you will take it.

Lol looks like kitty cat wants its spot back.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back