Please ask this question

considering i read the setup guide and I found it very useful, i set up some cars fixing understeers and oversteers concerning my way to drive, i still can’t get 2 things: camber and toe.
About camber, the guide says that having negative front and rear values is always worth, besides that tyres get hot. Honestly, especially with street cars, I put maximum camber on front and rear without getting my tyres hot. So my question is: should i always put the max negative camber?
About toe, the guide says to always keep it near 0, just increase positive rear toe to get more stability. So it’s better not to touch front toe on any case? Please help me to get about these 2 things

Funny!! I’m a complete novice, and reading guides and watching videos now i can change cars attitudes. But while springs, ride height, dampers, anti-roll bar, differential. Can change car’s attitude with opposite value on front and rear, i didn’t get how to deal with camber and toe.

Toe:
Think about it like "pre-steering". So it will make you unstable during a straight line (barely noticeable while racing but it would be huge crap for a street car on a highway!).
But it will also make your turn in quicker! So if you have a track with lots of corners, like magione for example, you'd want to have some really quick steering response.
However, if you go too far the front tyres will scrub!
Which means understeering mid corner and also lower speeds.
Race cars are mostly slightly negative on the front. Like 0.0 to -0.2.
If you have a track with long and fast corners, slightly positive front toe can give you more grip mid corner! But that's rare.

Rear toe is different. The physics are the same but you mostly don't want "pre-steering" on the rear. Imagine the effect here more like:
Positive toe keeps the rear close to the middle of the car. If the rear steps out it will be smooth and controllable.
So most race cars have slightly positive rear toe!
However if you have a car that just won't rotate enough you can go negative on the rear and you'll make it drifty. Feels a bit "floating" then.

Camber is easy and extremely complicated at the same time.
The theory is: you want the biggest contact Patch between the tyre and the surface.
While driving a corner the car will lean so you need to compensate this leaning with negative camber.
Now you have kerbs which change the angle of the surface extremely (way more negative camber needed for kerbs) and you'll also lose traction for braking and accelerating.

So you have:
- cornering
- kerbs
- braking/accelerating

Additionally you have uneven tyre wear and temperaturet (both not really important in assetto corsa but in rfactor 2 for example!)

You'll have to find the perfect compromise for qualy and race.

The problem is you can't get the data in assetto corsa. There's the app "camber extravaganza" though that shows you a graph and a colour depending on how perfect the camber is for the current situation in real time.
So you know at least the situation in that very moment. To decide what to focus on and how to mix that compromise is your choice.

I always go for green while cornering but if the car snaps when touching a kerb I go a little bit further negative.

Hope that helps :)

In rfactor 2 for example though camber is a lot easier to check. You install a little Plugin, open the created data with Motec and you'll see if the camber goes close to 0.0°, which means the full tyre is touching the surface.
In assetto corsa the Motec telemetry log files only show the camber with the leaning of the suspension. You then have a "perfect value" set in the tyre data. So you get something like -4.5° and then have to check against the "perfect value".
That's quite complicated and camber extravaganza just does it for you :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back