Plate in front of steering wheel?

I'm designing my button plate for my rally steering wheel and I need to make a choice: use a front or a rear plate. All of the sim racing DIY plates for this kind of wheels I've seen on the Internet are placed behind the rim. However, taking a look at some real rally videos, I've seen a recent tendency to install front plates and I wonder why. Could it be because this way they are easy to open or remove for repairing or modifying? Could it be because they leave free room behind the rim for the big paddle shift? For other ergonomic reasons? Although they look a bit weird, I also find the advantage that they can be made thiner and lighter, since they do not have to be screwed to the wheel (you can use velcro or double-side tape).

Examples:
front-plates.jpg

OK, then I will make a front plate. I've been working on this design. I don't need rotaries nor levers, etc. What do you think? The wheel is a momo, 32 cm, leather. I was considering the Ford design (first photo), but maybe it's too alien-looking.

plate4.jpg

Upvote 0
I have delayed this project. Now I will be using another rim, an OMP replica, and the new design is like this, a bit inspired in the Fiesta WRC. I will keep my button box, so I will distribute the functions between both, thus not needing double functions for the buttons on the plate. I think I will make the plate entirely in 3D printed black PLA. I will use 3 of the 6 screws to attach it to the Thrustmaster adapter. The front will be screwed to the plate box, so it will be easy to access the electronics and the wheel screws.

plate8.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have finally made it. Still not labels, because I'm not sure if to keep it for me or to sell it. How much do you think this would be worth (not including the OMP extender, which costs 90€. The rest, including the steering wheel costed 90 € aprox.

volante-venta1.jpg

volante-venta2.jpg

volante-venta3.jpg

volante-venta4.jpg

Upvote 0
I know the costs, but no idea how much to ask for the work (maybe just 50 € to say something). The steering wheel is cheap (45 €), although surprisingly good for the price (nice grip in real leather and quite light with only 950 gr). The buttons 15 € (I had to buy 3 sets to have all the colors). The USB pcb 9 €. The curly cord 8 €. The service of 3D printing 15 €. The front plate cut in 1,2 mm aluminium and convered with black matte vinyl 10 €. So the total cost would be 100 €. Minus the 45 € of the rim: 55 €. My idea is to sell it here in Spain, because international shipping costs here are crazy. I would prefer to sell the whole set (obviously without the OMP spacer, unless somebody is ready to pay the price). Maybe 150 € for all, including the rim, would be too much? That's what the TM Sparco R383 costs, but hey, this is handmade and unique in the world :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back