Physics realism?

Hi, new here and indeed to racing sims/games in general.

I've been doing a little bit of searching for the most realistic driving/racing sims/games out there, and I've landed on "Racer". Looks nice, and the fact that it's free is great, and for PC! (GT5 is PS3 only! what an outrage!)

My question is, in comparison to Reality and the Newtonian and Non-Newtonian physics of this universe of ours, how realistic is the physics and driving "feel" of this sim.? Also, how much difference in the physics is there between cars, or is the physics completely separate from the vehicles? (I.E... in other games (this is my first actual sim) while the physics engine is separate from the vehicles, each vehicle can behave wildly different outside of the differences in the builds... one car will kick it's back end around like a rodeo bull, while another car of similar weight and build will drive perfectly, irrespective of the driver's abilities).

Well in that case, the only thing I can say is keep practising. What speed can you do (without spinning out) through the first corner? (I'll compare with mine)

Hmm. To actually make it to 85mph you might run into the grass a little, but I can do 80 fairly regularly and stay completely on the track.

And I am referring to the long right hand turn, I count the chicane as the 2nd turn for some reason.

example001.gif

Sorry bout the crude drawing, no tablet lol. (mouse sux for image making)

Those are the speeds on the corners I'm talking about.

And now that I look at it, the 50 should be on the other side of that curve but you get the idea.

Those speeds are all normal...

Remember the Lambo is a heavy road car with a lot of power, it's not a track machine with slicks etc.

Which version are you using? The Racer default one, or the one I re-released recently?

Dave

Once you come out of the 40mph corner you can accelerate up to the next one. First screenshot is still accelerating out of that corner. You can see I'm pointed to cross the track before the next corner. Middle one is a little before I lay off the throttle, which helps the Lamborghini turn into the corner. Then I hold 81-83 through the curve and wind up in the bottom screenshot, back near the outside of the corner.

nTefE.jpg

Digital speedo is in mph so it's easy to see I'm doing 80. The game kinda jerks when I take pictures or I'd have one at the apex too.

you're 2.0 lambo is what I use. that other one is a little stiff... though I tend to drag the back end around on yours more often than not (compliment there for ya, it's realistic enough to get the back end out lol).

As far as that corner you're showing, I'll try 80 around it using what I've been doing and see if fraps can capture it for a quick youtube upload.

edit:

Here it is: Youtube decided it wanted to speed up the footage a bit, and there's no sound (Racer is a resource hog, and so is fraps when recording.. the two fought for alpha status lol.)

Here you can see all my problems, in several laps.
The last lap showcases everything I've learned in practice, including max speeds I can take the corners at... though I still slipped up here and there. (frame rate issues while recording at times... I had to record over 10 takes to get what I got here lol. The last lap begins around 5:30 or so.

Yeah I was going to ask, if you're using the keyboard you need to start using the mouse. With the keyboard it's full left turn or full right, the mouse you have proper control over the steering and throttle.

Your lines are still a bit all over the place.. I'll see if I can record something to help :)

No no no... I've just got my first Wheel for my pc. (Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience 3-1... not a G25/G27, but very good for 50 bux ;)... REALLY nice for that kind of money).

It's just that If I do go any faster, it's right off into the grass... as is displayed several times throughout that video.

And as far as race lines go, I'm trying to keep it so that on each corner, I'm hitting the apex. Though I have found so far, that's a difficult thing to pull off (hitting the apex of EVERY corner)... so is "using all the track".

Hitting the apex and rumble strips can de-stabilise the car, try stay off them.

Keep practising :D

Do you use the brakes when not travelling in a straight line? You might want to reduce the rear brake strength value to add stability under braking while steering, or use the script in the release thread, and follow the instructions. The issue will be the tail coming around when using the brakes.

How about steering linearity, does the steering feel right, or too sharp? It could be that your steering is too sharp making the car darty and easily de-stabilised... try reducing the linearity value of the steering?!

Dave

Well, if anything, it doesn't feel sharp enough at times. At times it feels like it doesn't matter if I turn full lock or not, it just goes straight no matter what... especially if at high speed (80 mph or more). Is it the weight of the car, my driving, something else, or some combo for that problem? As far as the back end coming around due to break pressures.... then I'll need help dealing with that. This is why it would be nice to get with someone over ventrilo, team speak 3, skype, or even xfire (which I would need to redownload lol). It would be much easier to diagnose problems with this + a night of "racing" around with each other over a server lol. I mean does it cost to host a race? Seems like it should be free...

You're understeering, and turning full-lock will make it worse! A part of it is down to the weight and the balancing of the car, but really you need to slow down or take the corner at a different angle.

I know this is going backwards, but perhaps you should start practising again on the original Lambo. It's a bit more stiff and grippy and should be easier to learn the proper racing line on.

Perhaps if we're around at the same time, and my internet can handle it, one of us should host a race (it is free) and have a few laps - there's a way to write messages in-game...if someone could remind of the key, it'd be helpful!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.