PC1 pCARS AI a bit "exuberant" at the start and in close racing

I just did a new clean install of pCARS since I wanted to make sure I was getting the unadulterated last build (jan 16 2015) . I am really impressed by some of the cars and even as very low settings the game looks great on my rig.

However, I eventually did a couple of races and SPA and Hockenheim and I was a bit disturbed by the AI behaviour.

Putting it as plain as I can, the cars around me at the start and in packs during the race behave more like a bunch of 13 years old on Open Servers than even the most unruly league I have ever raced with, let alone RL racing.

At the start, (100% strength) the cars behind me drove as if I weren't there. If a car in front slowed down and I could pass it, I had 100% chance of getting hit hard from behind.

meanwhile, other cars were cutting corners, going on Sunday drives until they hit the barriers, then rejoining at an angle without caring about the other cars on track. The better behaved AI simply shifted from right to left and back through SPA's top straight, sometimes wrecking other cars or simply losing control and smashing against the barriers in what seemed to be a crazy way to find a hole in the pack. That may be OK up to T1 at the start, but for the entire race?

To me the effect looked more like what racing is in the mind of a pre-teen than real life.

No driver, regardless of type of racing, would simply take over by pushing the car in front off track. Cars that wasted time hitting barriers, came back with a vengeance and solidly hit me in the middle of a turn.

Once I made a great pass on another car while blocking the inside line for it. No problem, the other car simply drove on the grass, lost time because of bumps and grass, so it simply rejoined the track by T-boning me and sending me against another barrier.

I know the there is still time until release, but I am a bit concerned. Concerned that I won't be able to enjoy my SP races, but also concerned that a log of kids will buy this game and seeing how the AI races, they will rightly decide that it is the right way to do it.

Anyone else have had this experience or am I missing some magic setting in the AI panel? I left it at default because I figured most people will do the same.

ok.. its just ive had this appear in a lot of cars, not just wedge type shaped cars.
Anyway of course ill reserve judgement until ill play the final release..

not sure any sim ive played had this,,, i.e.: gsc rf2 etc race 07...

I will say though if i hadnt of gotten hold of that old build. i wouldnt be considering buying this.

ok.. its just ive had this appear in a lot of cars, not just wedge type shaped cars.

The collision model and the 3D model are technically completely separate concepts. i.e. it's possible to have a bad/wrong/unfinished collision model on a vehicle that is complete from a 3D look & feel. SMS made a pass at all of the collision models last month to adjust them for for the scoop effect. That doesn't mean it still doesn't exist on some cars, but it should be substantially reduced if not eliminated.

I just found this bit of info regarding AI behavior in Pcars from the former "Stig" Ben Collins:
Some of the AI drivers are stupid, unpredictable and f***ing annoying.. It seems therefore that the dev team have done us proud here in re-creating real life.
tickyes.png
I’ve not noticed any vindictive characteristics so I think we have a good balance here.

This sound like damage control to me.

No racing games should get a free pass for bad AI drivers especially when they are made for simulating professional motorsports. I'm always impressed by gentleman behaviour in some (real) race classes while at the same time they are all pushing limits. Proper AI bahaviour most of the time is possible in the best racing sims & mods.

I felt it was okay in previous SMS racing games because most of the time you were driving road (street) cars with stock performance or upgrades.

I felt it was okay in previous SMS racing games because most of the time you were driving road (street) cars with stock performance or upgrades.

While I'm not sure why you "disliked" the previous post, the AI behavior is dependent on the level you set them. Originally, they had all of the AI attributes separate which allowed the increase of skill without the increase of aggressiveness. Currently, they are tied together so the higher the AI skill level, the higher the aggression which isn't all too unrealistic. Higher skilled drivers are generally more aggressive, but I want to separate aggressive from crash happy.

One area the AI suffers is that it doesn't give up much. If you try to dive inside on the AI into a corner, likely it's not going to stop going for the apex. I do think in some cases, the AI should concede the corner but a lot of sims suffer in this area. There are two parts to AI development which is making the cars go around the track and providing situation race knowledge. The latter is harder to do.... Project CARS provides a good experience with the AI *if* you treat them like human players.

While I'm not sure why you "disliked" the previous post, the AI behavior is dependent on the level you set them.
Because what he and you said should not happen unless the car is extremely wedge shaped. Even then you usually only see cars driving over each other using the tire (on open wheelers) as a "ramp" in real racing events.

The other things you said in that post are okay, but that physics & collision behaviour is not acceptable from my point of view :cautious:

Edit: Sorry, I changed it to "disagree" :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The other things you said in that post are okay, but that physics & collision behaviour is not acceptable from my point of view :cautious:

I don't think I said it was acceptable, I was simply stating the separation of the collision model and the actual car 3D model. I'm not a fan that it happens, but just stating it's not a new problem that has never been seen in sim racing.

I don't think I said it was acceptable, I was simply stating the separation of the collision model and the actual car 3D model. I'm not a fan that it happens, but just stating it's not a new problem that has never been seen in sim racing.
I see :) . This still shouldn't be a noticable issue to the user at this point close to release or even after release.

I'm aware of the limitations of pure convex collision models.

This sound like damage control to me.

No racing games should get a free pass for bad AI drivers especially when they are made for simulating professional motorsports. I'm always impressed by gentleman behaviour in some (real) race classes while at the same time they are all pushing limits. Proper AI bahaviour most of the time is possible in the best racing sims & mods.

Quite the contrary, Ben Collins gave them a great review but, he also maintains a healthy sense of humor when doing so. I though it was quite funny myself.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back