General Paid mods post your opinion

It don`t want to split people in boxes.

I just want to make people going to do something commercial, sensitive to the fact, that it doesn`t mean it´s only about getting them some refund. Reponsabilities coming with the money hand in hand. The user changes to a customer.

And you can imagine yourself what happens here, when this case happens: A paid mod isn`t good, full of bugs and the one who offered it dissapears after taking the money without fixing it. And this will happen, it`s just a question of time, cause this is how life goes and sad to say - some people are.

Simple formula
If you do free mod - no reponsability, nobody get´s hurt, nobody really cares if it´s not good
If you do paid mod - be aware of your new reponsabilities and keep in mind, it will fall back on all others doing paid mods, when you´re doing wrong. People will be angry and in this mood they don`t tend to seprate the good boys from the bad ones.

I would really like a commercial projects section like that, so everyone can clearly see the motivation behind each project, whether that be fun, or money.

I guess you missed my point there. You're already judging someone's intentions without even knowing where it's coming from. It can be for fun AND money, do you have any idea how many jobs I've turned down for lack of interest? can't see myself doing something for money anymore, that's why I take the chance when it's there, and I do free stuff as well, both are fun and enjoyable. One pays in money, the other in personal satisfaction, but both have the same motivation: passion for what I do.

I see paid modding from good and from bad perspective.

Good.
  • Adding value for time spent on modding and skill. Donations are not happening, so it is only way to compensate if you do it for money, or need money badly.
  • Adding value for mods. If we would end up with hundreds of free quality mods for AC some day it would devalue the content to the point that it will be less and less needed. I think it is already happening.
Bad.
  • Modders are loosing attention, obviously way less people will own your work. But the one which own would care more probably.
  • Modders having to deal with increased pressure, such as intellectual property, keeping the standard high, higher responsibility, people complaining and so on...
  • Deforming a normal atmosphere of AC modding community, eventually if paid mods will have to get hidden from place like this due to unhappy people.
  • You are adding value for Assetto Corsa by creating a content for it, but on the other hand you are making money using Assetto Corsa as a platform. Fair trade, or not really ?
I'd rather pay money for good modders for a good content every month or each every month, than download their good work for free creations once in a year. But making money from modding is just weird for me, but others doing that doesn't harm me, especially when they does a lot of mods for free too.

@A3DR - I think you miss my point, too (and I think we are going to have to agree to disagree). If fun is the motivation then why try and take money from people?

Take any of your commercial projects, then pretend there was no payment for it - would you still have done it? If you would, then why try and charge? I just don't think it's in the spirit of a hobby. You clearly think it's ok. Let's just leave it at that. :whistling:

If they even allow monetization from Youtube videos, why wouldn't it be fair?
Perhaps to keep yourself on the safe side. With their permission(in the case they haven´t allow it in a public declaration like the video monetization) you no longer depend on good will, they gave you the right to do it. Good will can change because they decided to to change their attitude, out of their reasons, they don`t have to explain to us.

Perhaps you can ask them to add paid mods to this declaration. Would add transpancy and safety for all going to do commercial content using AC. If they refuse this to you, they did a statement too.
In both cases you know more.

But this only a friendly, well ment suggestion.

mod-edit: if you can't write a post without swearing please refrain from further posting. Typing your personal feelings is a secondary emotion that doesn't need any swearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please keep it polite. We´re just changing arguments i.O. trying to discuss things in a friendly manner.;):)
The last pages it worked so fine. Thanky you, guys!:thumbsup:

But Kunos are not riding anyone else's coat tails. Their product is stand-alone all their own work. A commercial mod for AC has no value without AC yet I bet no modder ever sent any payments to Kunos, without whose hard their mod would not have existed.

But Kunos are not riding anyone else's coat tails. Their product is stand-alone all their own work. A commercial mod for AC has no value without AC yet I bet no modder ever sent any payments to Kunos, without whose hard their mod would not have existed.
I didnt see any complaints when Kunos was buying models and are still buying models from URD :O_o:

There's only really one thing to say to this:

"There is no free lunch." - Milton Friedman

Someone is paying for all our time whether or not you're directly charged for it is irrelevant economically speaking. If someone is choosing to invest time into modding, that time cannot be spent with other productive opportunities (opportunity cost). If you have alternative income streams that cross-subsidize your modding activity (or savings or whatever) then that income finances your time spent and there's no need (or desire) to charge users of the end product directly for it.

Every 'free' mod you've ever used has been paid for with lots of emotional, physical and monetary capital on part of the modder or their friends, family, clients, investors, etc. The fact that you didn't take part in that payment does not make it free.

The question of passion has nothing whatever to do with pricing or who you charge.

Economics 1on1 here guys. Unfortunately this very basic and logical concept never enters any debate on this issue even though it lies at the very core of it.

Just as i thought, you weren't sincere with your apology earlier.
what I originally said got twisted , I said the best payware in the last decade ,
nowhere at all did I mention or refer to free mods , artists who make free mods ,
anywhere at all ,
I was sincere and I am sincere , dont twist my words man .

QX7g6.gif

LOL yeah right, let me get this straight... then my 3D models have no commercial value because I don't pay Autodesk for using 3dsmax, neither my textures because I don't send payments to Adobe.... what kind of reasoning is that?

I've already paid for the software, the third party content I produce for and/or with it is my own responsibility so are the earnings I get from it. That's how the market works in this world.

But according to your reasoning, you buy a PC, you produce your own content with it to sell to a client or on a marketplace, and you'll pay royalties to the Chinese guy who put together the motherboard and Bill Gates for Windows? :roflmao::roflmao:

• You are adding value for Assetto Corsa by creating a content for it, but on the other hand you are making money using Assetto Corsa as a platform. Fair trade, or not really ?

If permission have been given by Kunos, there should be no problem at all.
Only seems fair to ask permission - as with everything that belongs to someone else.

Same kind of wrong reasoning, different words. Not only we have to send payments to the creators of the software, but now we even have to ask permission... even though we already paid for it :roflmao:

Sorry, thought we were having a serious discussion but couldn't help to laugh at those concepts.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.