Released PACIFIC RACEWAYS - Kent, Wa

VERSION 1.0 Added.

FIXED IN VERSION 1.0:
New track fixes- Elevation tweaks.
Better AI flow on course.
Scenery.

This version does not have any grandstands or "race control" buildings like I hoped for. I searched for ready built structures but couldn't find any that really matched the track. So I'll take the time between v1.0 and v.1.x to learn how to do my own scenery. I didn't want 1.0 to drag out too long if that was the only thing I was waiting for. I will continue to fix and update for future versions.

So here it is: PACIFIC RACEWAYS v1.0.

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/rfactor-tracks-7/pacific-raceways-v1-0-5994/

Excellent improvements since the beta release!

You'll find creating basic buildings to be a snap as they're just a box (or collection of boxes) that you put a texture onto. Grandstands are harder unless you lift them (with permission) from an existing track.

Now for my critique, which I trust you'll take in the spirit of constant improvement...

You've done a good job on the track surface and it feels like a real track with character. Wish I had taken a few laps there in real life so I could provide feedback as to whether it's too bumpy or not enough or missing anything. The elevations seem to be correct. From an artistic standpoint, you need a shoulder texture and the hairpins need more segments so they are smooth, not chunky.

The tree textures are flickering badly on my computer (ATI 5870). Sometimes they're see-through, sometimes the back layer is drawn first and then the front layer pops in. I think it's just a case of the wrong transparency technique being used, so the draw order becomes reversed. With so many trees, it's important to have the draw order correct rather than a sharper image. It could also be that LODs need tweaking.

19 grid spots is not enough. TransAm (back in the '60s) had as many as 34 entries at PR, so finding room is vital to the experience.

Please use the rFactor AIW editor to create a left path so that rolling starts are properly handled. Right now the driving line is used for the left path and the right path is off on the shoulder for about half the track. The AI is a touch slow, too, but it's more important to have the rolling start sorted out. If you need help with that, just holler!

I just refreshed my mind with a YouTube video from 2007 and your version seems wide to me. Otherwise, I think anyone who watches a video and tries the track will find them similar enough that they'll have a greater appreciation for what it's like in real life.

Many thanks! I'll be using this version and I look forward to the next release.

Thanks for the feedback, Emery. I think you're spot on.

I have driven the track at speed and admit it's not perfect in the rFactor version I have done. I will comment and take each point into consideration:

Track surface: Although I have driven it, it still needs a little tweaking here and there. It's very time consuming to get every foot correct. Or close to it. I praise those track builders (now that I see it's not as easy as it looks to build a track) that are able to get it near perfect. Overall the track does have a few "characteristic" type bumps.

The three main notable ones are:
(1) Turn 1 (just before pit exit) is actually it bit smoother on the real thing.
(2) The "dip" just before TURN 5a (back part) is actually a bit harsher than I have it.
(3) The top of TURN 7 (where the drag strip meets the track) is a bit course overall on my version but does actually have a pronounced "bump" on the inside. I sort of recreate it but I was having elevation problems there.

Getting the elevation right was the hardest part of this track. It's still "not-quite-there" but I may tweak it again, as I think I know what I need to do know...

I agree to point on the shoulder texture. Pacific Raceways is NOT a beautifully manicured track by any stretch of the imagination. :) But you're right about the hairpin segments. I'll make a note of that. I noticed it too.

Trees. Yes. I need help fixing that. It does it on mine too. I can't figure out why it's doing that and it was really pissing me off. The trees are actually pretty easy to delete and re=add if necessary.

I can easily add more spots. I was just worried about being too crowded on race starts... and that issue leads into the next point: AIW editor... May need a bit of help on that as I may not understand it as much as I think I do (did).

Track width is a bit debated too. My original seemed too narrow...I drove it again this past July and thought it was much wider that I thought in person. But...in the cockpit it seems "narrow" or, at least more normal. It's only when you see the play-backs that it looks way too wide. So yes, I could probably tweak it in a bit. I actually notice it on on the entrance of TURN 5. I'm able to cheat and hold a lot of speed as I come up the hill off the dip and easily straighten the turn out. You can't do that on the real course. That area does need to be narrowed down.

Keep in mind the track was built by "novice" track builders back in the 60's. They didn't make the track width very consistent throughout it's length. Almost like they made it up as they went.... It's built more like a giant, natural walking path. It varies it's width all throughout the track. It's very difficult to mimic it perfectly unlike an FIA approved F1 track.

Anyway, I'm still tweakin' and working on it. Thanks for the comments! And let me know if you'd like to help with the next release. I can send you the working files from BTB. I could use all the help I can get.

-Kyle

Yea, a 60's version would be cool. It'd be a fun contrast to what it looks like now. Especially with the Historic Mod.

Oh, and BTW: The tree issue ONLY shows up while playing the game. In BTB editor, it looks fine.

I don't post much on here but I'm really impressed of the track. I've driven on that track before so I'm very excited to see this replicated really close to the real deal!

I have the BETA of this track and really like the way it flows, but the graphics are glithy. Would like to would like to use 1.0 to complete an offline 1970 Trans Am season. When I click onthe link I get a 'Page not found' message.

Is there another link?

Thanks.

Years ago I made SIR for RACER. It is accurate to one foot with buildings, trees and other items made from photos.
Includes the dragstrip. Please give credit if used, thank you.

I think it's still available on tracciontesaras (sic) and may be converted to rFactor if desired.

[I've been away from rFactor since late December, so just catching up.]

I should have driven v1 once again before installing v1.1... can't tell what's different, but overall, it's better. Ran 25 AI, so that's one improvement :)

Been away from rFactor and BTB for awhile.

But I finally got BTB on my NEW computer and started to play again.

Still have the stupid tree/graphic glitch I can't seem to figure out. (You can see background graphics superimposed in front of foreground trees.. :mad:

What else did you find Emery that needs fixing?

I've also started work on the new Ridge Motorsport track in Shelton, Wa. This one should come together pretty quickly as there is little scenery out there. :) ...Other then a few trees.

Emery, it was mainly the track widths I tried to "tighten" up if I recall. They were generously wide before. And of course add more AI spots. I think I may need to add more....

The Ridge Motorsport in contrast is set at 40 feet (12.1m) all the way around. Pretty easy to duplicate in BTB.

Pac Raceways was "handbuilt" and the track width varies widly all the way around.

You mean on the trees or the background. I should clarify "background": The wall I created then added the tree graphics to it to finish the map edges...

If you mean the ground is causing this, then I believe I may have that on blend. I am using a PIC image of the real site as a ground image.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back