Cooler : Noctua NH-C12P
RAM (brand and type) : Kingston Valueram 800MHz CL5
Case : Huntkey C509 or so..

Don't have BIOS screens but this is my overclock:
3.5GHz (9x389)
5-5-5-18 mem timings
Ramvoltage 1.9V
CPU Voltage: 1.3625V to 1.325 vdrop.

Temps are really good, but it seems my cpu doesn't want to go further or I have to raise the voltage above 1.4V

Well that's my overclock :)

Quick question guys,

How do I apply thermal paste?

Finally got around doing this. Family is out so if I get a reply please asap before me son comes back and starts ripping the internals of the pc out.

Think I have messed up lol.

I have attached a screenshot with various temp monitoring softwares. All showing the same temprature. PC is running in default setup.

:damnit:

Sorry about the image size. Everytime I resize the fonts all go fuzzy.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 170
Could an Overclock Guru take a look at my settings? :)

RoyOC.jpg

I can go alot higher with my multiplier (had it upto 3.7) but for myself i just want to keep it a "soft" overclock and just get the performance from a i7 965 out of an i7 920.

Temperatures are all at full load, and stable.

system specs:
i7 920 with Thermalright Ultra 120 Cooler
Asus Rampage II Gene
1066mhz 6gb Ram

i couldnt find a ram multiplier so just put it on 800mhz and matched the blck so i came as close to 1066mhz as possible. (cpu-z shows 531mhz, which is 1065mhz) So only thing overclocked should be the CPU now. Have played with lower Vcore settings, but put it back on automatic since the temperatures look like nothing to worry about.

Personally don't think i did anything wrong, but an approval from a Guru would be welcomed :)

thanks in advance!

things i changed:
blck from 133 to 177
Turbo mode disabled
memory setting changed to 800mhz
cpu multiplier from 20 to 18. (yes still room in overclock, but want to keep it safe and stable :) )
Vcore set @ 1.128 which migt be a little low? (how can i see if its too low?)

• Michel Salvador

nice setup roy i been learning OC since 2 weeks now since i bought e8400

all i can say is you got the good i7 920 ( DO ) low VOLTAGE better OC good cpu cause you know we can get good and bad cpu . your vcore look awesome did you increase it from the stock ?
i been reading alot from OC forum etc ,compare to other system that how i know if i got good cpu or not .i got lucky pushing mine to 4.2 stable with not the best cooling . my setup

E8400 4.2 (E0) 1.35 vcore
P5Q arctic freezer 7 pro
DDR2 4 GIG OCZ reaper 800 2.1v 5-5-5-15

42e8400z.jpg

Nice!

Changed some minor things since the screenshot. Vcore was set to low since i was getting hardware faillures in prime after longer sessions. Now set at 1.224. Im the same as you, just started looking into overclocking, it's a bit much info at the beginning but once you get the hang of it, it's very addictive and fun :) I ordered 2 new fans for my cpu cooler since the thermalright came with a 1000rpm fan and only 65m3/h maximum @ 16dba. New fan will be tacens ventus pro with 127m3/h @ 16dba

then i'll run it at 3500mhz, which still is not the maximum of the processor at all, but i like to keep that safety margin and just a silent and good performing machine :)

• Michel Salvador

Nice!

Changed some minor things since the screenshot. Vcore was set to low since i was getting hardware faillures in prime after longer sessions. Now set at 1.224. Im the same as you, just started looking into overclocking, it's a bit much info at the beginning but once you get the hang of it, it's very addictive and fun :) I ordered 2 new fans for my cpu cooler since the thermalright came with a 1000rpm fan and only 65m3/h maximum @ 16dba. New fan will be tacens ventus pro with 127m3/h @ 16dba

then i'll run it at 3500mhz, which still is not the maximum of the processor at all, but i like to keep that safety margin and just a silent and good performing machine :)

yup very addicted and fun , next move for me wil be better cooling since i cant risk go higher with arctic freezer 7 pro
yup thermalright best air cooling IMO.

1 think is when you know you got awesome cpu then you can move on to next thing ,

funny story : well i bought this e8400 from a store the guy built 1 to with same cpu for is gaming rig demonstration with WATER COOLING damn that cpu dint pass 4.0 lol

Temps are a bit high Roy - you certainly don't want to go any higher than that. The northbridge is very hot aswell - 71 is pushing it.

yeah the i7's run hot though, 80 max is recommended for 24/7 use. Northbridge sensor is way off though, is a bit of a problem with my motherboard.

Putting my sidefan on a higher step did make the northbridge temperature drop to 62 degrees, but still should be lower with correct readings. With the new fan i should be able to keep temps way below 70 degrees with higher clock to 3500

Fixxed some issues with my motherboard yesterday, so now my northbridge gets the cooling it wants :)

My final OC:

Roy_Overclock-1.jpg

i7 920 @ 3800mhz
Vcore @ 1.225V
BCLK @ 180
Hyperthreading ON
Turbo OFF

Thermalrigh Ultra Extreme with Ventus Pro 120mm Fan (127m3/u @ 16Db)
Built in a modified Antec P193 Case, which is build into a wooden closet with special cooling aids:

PC-1.jpg

PC-3.jpg

PC-5.jpg

behind those vents are 2 Scythe Slipstreams which are ultra quiet, blowing hot air into my room. The 200mm intake vent gets its air from near my feet, and can't suck hot air from behind or above the pc :)

Inside the case are 2 120mm Tacens Ventus Ventilators (one CPU cooler, one sucking air from the front, blowing it past my 2 SSD cards, into the CPU/GPU area. 2 120 mm Zalman Ventilators for cooling my 2 750 F1's and the 850 Watt Bequiet power supply which is located at the bottom of the case in a seperate compartment. 1 120mm Thermalright fan, directly aimed at the vent side of the GPU. 2 140mm Antec vents blowing hot air out of the case, and 1 120mm Antec vent blowing hot air out of the backside of the case, creating a blow suck effect with the cpu cooler. Finally there is another ventilator on the outside of the case beneath the power supply blowing the hot air upwards towards the outlet vents.

All this is controlled by 1 Zalman MFC1 plus at the front and 5 fancontrollers at the back.

System is ultra quiet and ultra cool (especially sinds it's completly build in!) I did the Prime test yesterday with ambient temps of 29 degrees! and had Prime and Furmark running (CPU/GPU running @ 100% en Ram @ 50%) and the highest CPU core never went above 73 degrees, and the GPU (which is running at 975/1100) did the same! Northbridge went up towards 64 degrees, but its directly above the GPU so could have been expected.

System has ran prime for a total of 12 hours now without errors or faults. Furmark/3dmark run without artifacts, and the system is stable and cool as hell!

very happy with it.

my 3dmark results:

Roy_Overclock-2.jpg

Specs of pc:

Intel Core-i7 920 @ 3600mhz
Asus Rampage II Gene Motherboard
Club 3d Ati HD 4890 Super Clocked Edition @ 975/1100mhz
OCZ Platinum XTC Triple Channel 6GB
BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 850Watt
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD
2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 750Gb
3x Plextor PX-860Sa

Antec P193
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366RT with Ventus Pro cooler
2 Zalman ZM F3 Ventilators 1200mm
2 Ventus Pro Ventilators 120mm
3 Scyte Slipstream Ventilators 120mm
1 Thermalright Ventilator 120mm
1 Antec Ventilator 120mm
2 Antec Ventilators 140mm
1 Antec Ventilator 200mm
Zalman MFC1 Plus Fancontroller

Now gonna play some games :male-fighter2:

Guys, would a 750w PSU be able to run an i7 920 D0 @ 3.6GHz (under a Titan Fenrir heatsink) as well as an ATi 4890? I'm looking for a new graphics card and just want to make sure... And nice setup, Roy :thumb:

Thanks

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea