Opinion | How To Fix Formula One?

Startet watching F1 in 1982 I couldn't agree more on OP (splendid, BTW).
I was about to head off already in '98 with the intro of grooved tyres.
Yes, F1 is about improvements and inventions. But this has gone too far, together with too many and too awkward rules.
If F1 only was all about inventions, TV broadcastings could switch directy to the R&D facilities.
The point is totally missed. F1 became popular due to the impression of real racing and the sound of it.
Today crowds primarily come for the hope of a touch and smell of what F1 once was before. And today's F1 is pretty far from that.

What you´re planning is to kill all current technological competition by going back to the stone age, thus discouraging major brands to invest their resources into what would be Formula Ford on stereoids. It´s a business after all. It´s all about advancement, and about manufacturers leading those advancements, and deliver technological marvels to get the upper edge within the given regulations of the time as we´ve seen throughout the entire history of the sport.

For me at least, the bleeding edge of technology is an absolute irrelevance in Grand Prix racing.

This is exactly what F1 is all about and always has been. Aerodynamics, ground effect, suspensions, gearboxes? Why would the pinnacle of motorsport reduce itself not only to cars that would be slower than any other top tier open wheeler series but also put itself into a spot of irrelevance for major manufacturers? What you´re looking for is anything but F1, if you´re proposing to throw the series back into the 70s. This sounds more like a knock off series for those who need that nostalgic kick.

Secretly can´t wait for the V4´s, just so we´ll have that same discussion again and again about how great the V6´s were.

I like the romantics but I rather ask myself "what could improve races with current cars"

Why is F1 distance written in stone ? when you should consider young audiences that have the attention span of a gnat

I say increase it to 150% distance but over 3 races , obviously get faster race time, less KGs

You could then reduce the number of rounds by 1/3 and still have more distance covered !

What other benefits from this one switch ?
I can think of at least a few

IMO the only way to repair F1's image and get butts in seats is, lower ticket prices for a start, it's not affordable to the average Joe Citizen anymore.

But more importantly,

Teams should have NO say in the rules & regs, just as the Aussie V8's do, the teams are given the car data & design regs and they build accordingly, how they do that is up to them and as long as they are within the confines of the regs, they are free to innovate.

This allows the factory teams to still perform R&D but within the frame work of the regs, how they build and develop their cars is technically an open book but with a limit of pages, so to speak.

As a result, all cars would be the same under the regs, but different, as the teams would be able to use alternate designs to achieve the same regulatory results.

With this principle in place you restore the individuality of the past, and blend it with the innovation and development of today's tech that drives our automotive future.

It's a win win for all, the teams get to innovate, the punters get some real racing to watch again and F1 regains it's reputation as the pinnacle of motorsport.

I have recordings of many BBC Grand Prix broadcasts from 1978 - 1983 and all of them from 1984 - 1994. No time like the present to commemorate the past. May I suggest the following tonic to today's Formula?

Step 1: Watch an episode of BBC Grand Prix (say, 1986 -1987).
Step 2: Drive an 80's era Formula Classic GEN1 turbo in AMS2 around Kyalami Historic.
Step 3: Repeat Step 1.

Last edited:
Only allow private teams & get rid of works teams! Done! (And no more tilkodromes...)

--> less politics,
--> far less money --> smaller teams
--> do rules that fit the sport, not the big manufacturers
--> more humans, less corporations, less media "filtering"
--> less trackside bling bling
--> more sport / less show

They pretty much sucked any excitement out of it. Reliability... the great unknown.. is no longer such a factor. Danger... No longer a factor.. I would feel safer driving in an F1 race than I sometimes do driving on the highway. Too many flag rules.. Blue flags means "stop your car and get out and applaud the guy about to pass you".. Yellow flags.. Your hair is out of place.. yellow flag.

I have been watching since the early 80's (due to Alan Jones success injecting interest in the sport in Australia). The indicator for me that something is now seriously wrong is that I woulod watch every single race no matter what stupid time they were being telecast in Australia. I would set my alarm if need be and get up (even though I had work the next day). Now I find I even miss races that are on at reasonable times because the care /excitement factor has essentially become lower than the inconvenience factor of staying up to see the end of the race.

Of course you have to take into account that lots of things lose their shine as you get older so there is this factor as well. For instance, I much preferred the general internet before social media and every man and his dog having a voice rammed down your throat at every opportunity.. That's because I am old. So, maybe everything is better, and it is me that is falling behind. (what am I saying.. of course its not me ;) )

I love F1, but I reject the premise that it can be "fixed" in this sense. The best resource I can recommend is Total Competition. The author (I think) was attempting to write some kind of business strategy book, but I read it as a giant interview with Ross Brawn. The title - Total Competition - is very significant. That sums up Ross's perspective as far as the enormous appeal of Formula 1. The drivers compete on track. The pit crews compete for the fastest stops. Team principals play politics with the governing body; they try to squeeze every dime out of investors and parent companies. Drivers politic to get the best rides. They try to torpedo other driver's chances off track just as fervently as they do on track. Every rule is dissected looking for loopholes and workarounds. Total competition. It's like the competitive aspects of society distilled, cranked up to 11, and labeled a sport.

This is why I tell people "it's not racing, it's F1". If you want racing, watch IndyCar. I love IndyCar, but it'll never be F1 for me. IndyCar is essentially some very talented drivers driving the world's fastest rental karts. More times than not, that produces really good racing action. But it just doesn't have the magic and you also have weird stuff like Penske finding advantage by putting millions of R&D into, of all things, dampers. Does space-age damper tech get your blood pumping?!? Anyone? For the purposes of argument, you can replace "IndyCar" with any number of GT3-like series, touring cars, NASCAR, etc. There are bunches of series trying to stay relevant on the basis of closely matched racing action via spec cars, BoP, etc. It can be great fun, but it lacks the magic.

It would be hard to measure this, but over the 70 year history of F1 (and way longer if you count pre-war Grand Prix racing), you wonder what percentage of races and even entire championships were won on some designer's drawing pad. I would have to guess a lot of them, perhaps even a majority.

The idea that Formula 1 exists or is in some way obligated to give us compelling on track driver battles is, I think, a relatively new concept. Formula 1 has indeed given us many classic head to head on track battles over the years, but those battles were very much the tips of much larger icebergs (making those one-track battles all the more special, IMO). On the other hand, Formula 1 has always delivered lots of very full racing. In the days, not so long ago, that most people followed F1 via Autosport articles, I think that was easy to not notice so much. Today, with HD coverage, dozens of camera angles, and spiffy production...if a particular race doesn't generate what's deemed to be a sufficient amount of "action", people are ready to burn the whole thing to the ground for wasting their precious 90-120 minutes that could have been spent on any number other distractions to fill their free time.

So, yeah, that's a really windy way of saying I think this "fixing" notion is a false premise. I think F1, broadly, "is what it is". It's great when it works, it's a little dull when it doesn't. The idea that rules makers have a great deal of control over great vs dull I think is a bit of a false hope.

At the risk of being a hypocrite, I do have a few thoughts on some changes I would advocate for.

1) Ban DRS
2) Allow the teams to more heavily leverage ground effects (the new regs are heading this way)
3) Experimenting with cost caps I think is a worthy exercise. If big money ever starts pouring into motorsport again (don't hold your breath), I'd advocate for removing them.

Anything more radical than this - from sprinklers to bringing back V10s to going to spec cars - is just too extreme. You are going to end up un-F1ing F1. I would rather watch F1 fizzle out naturally than watch some lame imitation with F1 stickers slapped all over it. Just my 2 cents.

The thing about F1 is that it was always about evolving technology. At least since the 70s there have been dominant cars, so I don't think that restricting everything would do any good for the sport.

What I believe is the main issue in F1 is that Bernie Ecclestone transformed the sport in big business. That's not a problem per se, this has brought the sport to the spotlights, but it all comes down to the money. As the sport grows bigger, there's more money involved, it gets more expensive to participate (so no more small teams as in the pre-qualy days), and the gap among the teams grows bigger and bigger. If nothing changes, the tendency is that the dominant periods will only get longer and more annoying for the audience.

Anyway... the only possible suggestion I can come up with is a drastic reduction in the teams budget, so the teams could close the gap. F1 engineers back in the day made a lot with little money and a lot of creativity. Will never happen though lol. I swear I still try to enjoy F1, but it's not easy.

Minimum driver age of 25. I've been looking at some of the esports events that are going on in lieu of the real races, and these guys are such cringey little memelords. Let them grow up a little bit before throwing them in the big machinery.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.