one more steam question

Ok, I am exhausted reading the steam migration thread with no answer to a simple question...If I convert to steam, will i still be able to use my lifetime rf2 on my pc as a single player as opposed to steam only? I am highly skeptical after dealing with server problems on steam now with other sims and I don't want to lose the right to play from my hard drive when all others are down for various reasons and I can't seem to find an answer. Thanks if is't been asked and answered.

• Deleted member 130869

Once you get your Steam activation, your previous non-Steam installation is no longer valid. It seems you can launch rF2 without Steam being launched, the only thing is the game will always look for Workshop sync and I don't know if that would ever be an issue.

Yes, your lifetime license (transferred to Steam) will continue to be valid. If the network isn't available when you launch rF2, Steam will go into an offline mode and you can still play.

The previous non-Steam install will stop working as soon as you transfer the license to Steam.

My friend and i been racing on my non-steam dedicated server for the past year and he recently transferred his license to steam and i made the decision to continue with my non-steam lifetime license for various reasons but my friend can no longer see my server in matchmaker but note that he does see other servers. So, i assume that steam users are not able to race with a non-steam server /user so be aware of this!

Ok, I am exhausted reading the steam migration thread with no answer to a simple question...If I convert to steam, will i still be able to use my lifetime rf2 on my pc as a single player as opposed to steam only? I am highly skeptical after dealing with server problems on steam now with other sims and I don't want to lose the right to play from my hard drive when all others are down for various reasons and I can't seem to find an answer. Thanks if is't been asked and answered.

You will still be able to use the old installation for single player even after you converted to Steam. The offline license resides locally on your PC, there is no online check for this part so it will continue to work forever, there is no way that the old installation would know that you converted to Steam. The only part you will lose access to from the non-Steam installation after you converted is multiplayer.

Last edited:
So, i assume that steam users are not able to race with a non-steam server /user so be aware of this!
Servers are cross compatible as long as they are the same build.
The reason why your friend can't see your server is because steam matchmaker (the one built in rF2 steam launcher) can't see the servers hosted on non-steam licenses. You have to go through the server browser on the top right corner of steam to find it.

@Gijs van Elderen RD servers ran for a while on the non-steam version, now they are all transferred to steam:).

Last edited:
It seems you can launch rF2 without Steam being launched, the only thing is the game will always look for Workshop sync and I don't know if that would ever be an issue.

rF2 works with Steam in off-line mode. If it tries to sync the workshop, you can simply abort that by closing the window. In our next build we will address that minor issue to make that user experience even better.

Servers are cross compatible as long as they are the same build.
The reason why your friend can't see your server is because steam matchmaker (the one built in rF2 steam launcher) can't see the servers hosted on non-steam licenses. You have to go through the server browser on the top right corner of steam to find it.

@Gijs van Elderen RD servers ran for a while on the non-steam version, now they are all transferred to steam:).
Thanks Matheus!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back