OMG what a difference Process Lasso makes

Just in case anyone else isnt aware of this apparent marvel (or was it just me who didnt know!), Process Lasso and the instructions you can find via googling with the addition of selah, made a massive frame rate difference on my PC
From running one cpu/core to enabling them all pushed me 100+ FPS upwards
This is on a XEON E5-1650 running at 3.2ghz that offers 12 logical cores in Lasso.

Now i can run Le Mans 2016 at night (seems to be the toughest track i have found re its demands) and am a happy camper !

I manually do this using task manager and you are quite right. On Win XP and AMD graphics card it made no difference but on Win10 and nVidia GPU it doubles the frame rate. I don't really understand why. GTR2 is essentially single threaded. All I can assume is running the game on more than one core helps the graphics card driver to use the other core(s). I'm just surprised the graphics driver doesn't do this by itself.

I tried a few of those process manager's, and they all had issues like they cost or they didn't work all the time, and finally settled on Bill's Process Manager. It's free and does what is says it will do reliably.

I don't really understand why. GTR2 is essentially single threaded. All I can assume is running the game on more than one core helps the graphics card driver to use the other core(s).
The game is single-threaded(*) except for AI. Each AI appears to be a new thread. Makes sense.

I tested this out a few months back enabling successively more cores and trying out more and more AI and I could see GTR2 using more cores as I enabled them and added more AI.

The reason it speeds up framerate is because it was CPU bound running all those AI threads on one core. Put them on another thread and suddenly the primary core for the game has to do a lot less and can push more frames.

Absolute must have for these older games.

*There may be other minor parts of the game that are spun off as threads as I think there's still a framerate improvement even with few or no AI.

Process Lasso works very well and is highly adjustable (so much so that you will probably never use 75% of its options). I used it for years in Vista and recommended it highly, only dumping it when a new version included an auto-update function which, like Win10, takes the authority to update anything it finds on your system (I was playing a game and suddenly windows spontaneously rebooted ... Process Lasso had "updated" my non-Steam game with a Steam update while I was playing; had to back up my files and completely reinstall).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back