Old Skin Thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here they are needs a bit of cleaning up, hopefully Billy can put up with me. Thats why is was asking about the black rims solution for the BMW since they would look extra nice with this skin. Would be pretty badass :D.

Attachments

• RSC-THM1.JPG
    RSC-THM1.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 246
  • RSC-THM2.JPG
    RSC-THM2.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 230
  • RSC-THM4.JPG
    RSC-THM4.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 259
  • RSC-THM5.JPG
    RSC-THM5.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 272
Let me start off by saying hello.

As most of you are aware RSC forum is down and Ive been trying to find a tempry home for the time being. If any of you have been on the RSC forum you may rember my helmet shack if not here are a few.

• pauliebhoy

I was gonna post this over @RSC but because they're down right now thought i would post it here.

Recently someone asked me todo an ingame MenuImage for a Custom Skin on a transparent background. So this is a small in 4 easy steps, well 5 if you include the final "saveas" lol.
"howto create an ingame Menuimage for your Custom Car Skin on a transparent background" like original car MenuImage in the car select screen...

Tutorial.txt along with 4pics are in the archive showing what screens you'll see and explaining exactly what todo so you can't go wrong.
And sorry if you folks already know this, but there's some out there that probably don't so...

could'nt post the archive for some reason so i'll just post the pics and steps here: Hope this ok and it helps some folks...

1st We'll start off with an eg. (see pic.1a)

1./ you need to cut all the background away from the your screendshot(see pic.1b still some work todo) so that you just have the image of a car on a transparent background. I use vertus fluid mask to cut everything away, but you could use the eraser,magic eraser or quick mask tool if you don't have Vertus. When that's done...

2./ Use the magic wand to click on the transparent background(see pic.2a) but NOT on the car. Then goto top menu: select/inverse (see pic. 2b)

3./ Then come across to the layers pallette and 1st, click on channels(see pic.3a). At the bottom of the channels menu you'll see a small square/rectangle with a circle in it: "save selection as channel" 2nd, clck it and now you'll see a small cutout of your car in white with a black background (Alpha Channel) at the bottom of the channels pallette. (see pic.3b)

4./ Make sure: "RGB, Red, Green, and Blue" are checked/highlighted and "Alpha Channel" is unchecked/not highlighted (pic.3b) then click back on "layers"(not important - just habit) in the pallette
Then goto menu:(top of screen) Select and then click Deselect.

5./ File/Save as/targa(.tga) and (make sure alpha is checked when you ask to save as) (see pic.4a)Now press "Save"...
Choose 32bit and leave "compress(RLE)" unchecked...(see pic.4b)

The file can simply be saved as "MenuImage.tga" and renamed later to match your "Team Name" in the .ini file.

Done...

You can experiment with this step below if you find you're MenuImage looks stretched or squashed ingame:
The Image width and height ratio should be kept the same.
ie. if you only compress the width of the image, you'll end up with a car that's squashed to tall for its width and by the the same token the same goes when you only compress the height you'll end up with a fat looking car (nice effect through a fisheye lens though).
What you can also do is take the Screenshot from a more front on view, rather than side/profile view as in have the car sitting facing on a line from 8 - 2 o'clock or 4 and 10 o'clock and viceversa font/rear whatever you prefer...
It's again a lot easier just to use the "transform grab handles" and while holding a "shift key" push or drag any of the grab handles at the corners and this will ensure you keep the same width/height ratio of/in your image...
So to get there: do step2... then edit/transform/scale

Even if you already know all this mafrien's, then it might help someone else.

ps. usually at the end of step 2 - i would copy and paste the selection into a new document (512x330) with transparent background and then, in the new document do step 2 through to step 5. Better result for me...
The longest part is taking away the background accurately and with that done, steps 3-5 takes about 30seconds.

Also i've found it's always a good idea to take that cutaway image and paste it into a new document after you fill the new doc. with a solid colour background(eg. blue - to get an idea of what it may look like on the ingame screen) to make sure you got rid of everything/pixels you wanted. Then: Edit/step back once your sure everythings gone...

Attachments

• Background pic.1a-1b.jpg
    Background pic.1a-1b.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 280
  • Background pic. 2a-2b.jpg
    Background pic. 2a-2b.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Background pic. 3a-3b.jpg
    Background pic. 3a-3b.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 261
  • Background pic. 4a-4b.jpg
    Background pic. 4a-4b.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 223
  • pauliebhoy

Hamann M3 said:
hey paulie what did u use to make your skin, id like to learn to make one too. I know its photoshop but which one do i need?
CS3... Hamann, but i'm sure earlier versions will show the same basic screens as what's in the .tut
I just copy and pasted to pics in the same new doc to show more at once...

As in for veiwing the skins i use RH's Deep Explorer

• pauliebhoy

Hamann M3 said:
the black rims Would be pretty badass :D.
Yeah, totally agree. Wicked...
Especially like that "off centre" strip down the car, very nice skin indeed.

ps. d'ya really give that guy a hard time.?? lol. jk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play