Offline versions minidumping all over the place

Installed DVD offline versions first EVO, then RaceOn.

First no icons for EVO in car browser, then Nurburg starts dumping on loading.

Installed all the 1.2 updates from the inummerous and confusing Simbin websites. Patched STCC, EVO and Race07....now they're all dumping and everytime asking for a differnt DVD! They even ask for STCC which I don't have a DVD for because it's in RaceOn

Anybody think the offline versions are even worth it???

Just 34 more days to go for the downloads from Steam to finish!:):wink::):wink::):wink::)

Anybody think the offline versions are even worth it???

I can't say I had any particular problem when I was using the offline version some time ago. In fact, I don't think I had a single minidump in 2-3 years. So if you have no intention of ever playing online, don't want Steam, and don't have the horrendous issues you've run into, then yep... its worth it.

Having said that, the online version has had more patches than the offline version. Some mods require it too. I guess it all depends on what you want to do with the game. Since you appear to already have Steam, you may as well stick with the online version.

Did you have to patch the offline versions? I can't seem figure out if you need the patch for every game or if this is the same thing for all games? Weird how it can't decide which cd it wants to load the game. I've always had problems with securom, maybe it's related somehow...

I installed whatever the latest patch was every time I installed the game, yes. I'm not sure how you're installing them though... GTR Evo and Race On are expansions, so they should merge themselves with your original Race 07 installation. All you need then is the latest patch from the Race On website, and job done.

I've had issues with Securom protected games in the past, though not this one. When I do have issues, I just look on a certain website to see if there is a 'patch' to remove the protection altogether. Much quicker and easier than the absolutely useless 'support' you get from the copy protection developers.

I bought two dvds. One says GTR Evolution, including Race07 and Nordschliefe. The other Race On says Race 07 included, WTCC included and STCC included...ah I think I just spotted my problem...both dvds have Race 07 included. Could this be a conflict? Which one should I install first then RaceOn/Race 07 or GTREVo/Race07. My heads about to frickin explode:confused::confused::confused:

It shouldn't matter. Race 07 is Race 07, there are no different versions. Whichever DVD you use first, the second should detect that R07 is installed and then merge with it. In the offline version both expansions install themselves in the 'AddOn' folder. If its not doing that and is instead installing multiple copies or whatever, then that might be your problem.

GTR Evo came before Race On though, so you could try:

1) GTR Evo (will install Race 07 first automatically)
2) Race On
3) Latest patch

I can't remember the install process, but if Race On asks for a folder to install into, try selecting the one created during the Evo install.

Thanks Ross. Looks like the steam version works fine, it finally finished a 4am, two downloads were being throttled for some reason.

I guess I'll try again to install the offline as you said and pay attention to what folder it's installing to.

Kind of hard to get your head around what's what in Simbin if you haven't been following the progression since the beginning.

Got everything running and tested, but...I get textures popping up left and right. I have an ATI 6870, with the latest drivers. Funny thing is GTR2 runs better with no visible texture problems.

Anybody got a fix for this? Possibly viewing distance in an ini file somewhere. I enabled "very far" in game. Also I have shimmering textures but that's another story so far no one has been able to help with that.

I'm not sure if it will help, but I had an issue with textures when I first began using the Steam version. In the graphics options (in-game) under General Detail, try setting it to 'Max' rather than messing with any of the individual settings. Fixed the issues I was having, so hopefully it'll work for you too.

Thanks again Ross. Tried that all out and didn't seem to change anything for me. I also messed with the CCC and FSAA in the config to no avail.

I've had off and on problems with textures popping up, some games more than others, the Race series is particularly bad. On thing that bugs me is since upgrading to 6870 is that I can't disable Catalyst AI, so in order to minimize weird texture problems I have to enable Supersample (no idea why) which in turn kills frame rates.

Oh well graphics aren't everything, looking forward to jumping in some club races and making a mess of it ;)

I went ahead and downloaded the dx tool from Microsoft and its says I'm up to date. I posted in the hardware section that I can now more or less use all the settings. Catalyst AI can no longer be disabled on the 6870, go figure why ATI did that???

Urgh... ATI and their drivers! Awful. :facepalm:

I haven't looked for any in years, but have you tried finding modified drivers? They usually add extra functionality that the official drivers don't have, which often means they allow you to turn 'hidden' or locked features on and off. They used to improve performance too, though I have no idea if they still do.

Not really sure what you mean other than "ATI tray tools" which crashes my entire system.

I know that all the forums I've found no one has so far managed to disable the AI in the 6xxx's. If anyone here knows how please let me know.

Not really sure what you mean other than "ATI tray tools" which crashes my entire system.

No, I didn't mean tools, I meant actual modified/optimised drivers for your card to replace the standard ones you download from ATI. I had a quick look around earlier though, and modifying drivers seems to be a thing of the past. Couldn't find any recent ones that looked worth downloading.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back