Occulus Rift GFX settings. Help please.

I am getting a Rift tomorrow and am looking for some good graphics options. I have a 970 and a 2500k @4.3 GHz.
If anyone has a similar setup I would like to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

i5-2500, gtx1050ti, 8 gigs.

mostly i leave post processing off and AAX4, some tracks and cars are kinder than others. 1280x1024 resolution.
ac's vr is pretty bad by comparison to almost every other sim in my opinion
it's ok in car, but constantly removing and replacing the headset is a major PITA

Hi there, did you know you can set the Rift SuperSampling in your docs/Assetto Corsa/cfg file ?
Look for the oculus file and set to whatever your GPU can handle, start low and see what happens as you increase.
The line to look for is : PIXEL_PER_DISPLAY=1.0
Try setting to 1.5
I am running the same CPU as you @4.2 with a GTX1070
No need to run the oculus tray tool unless checking performance / fps.

Some recommend using this pp mod although I have not tried it myself, It is all about seeing car brake lights with PP effects turned off.

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/pp-filter-for-oculus-rift-cv1.13651/

Hint : it is not possible to activate player tags using a VR set, I use the "realtime app" to see who is in front or behind me.

Might help, might not.

Thanks, so far I have set the supersampling to 1.5, I did that before I tried it so I'm not sure what effect it had, I turned off pp for some extra performance. Seemed a little blurry in the little time I tried it, especially distant stuff. I will have to experiment some more when I am off work. I take it that the Mod lets you see brake lights without the PP performance penalty?

Thanks all , turned out I changed the wrong initial file to 1.5, done now and a lot better. Am really enjoying it . The sensation of speed is like nothing I've ever experienced in a game. Still a bit blurry in the distance, but by the time you are in a race that doesn't matter much. I even won my first race on a pub server at Mugello too. Awesome. I wonder now how much I could improve if I upgraded to a 1080. Is it a step change or an incremental gain that won't get better until the resolution improves in the next gen VR sets?

i5-2500, gtx1050ti, 8 gigs.

mostly i leave post processing off and AAX4, some tracks and cars are kinder than others. 1280x1024 resolution.
ac's vr is pretty bad by comparison to almost every other sim in my opinion
it's ok in car, but constantly removing and replacing the headset is a major PITA
Vr in AC is pretty bad?? Best VR driving on the market IMHO! True is that for menus you have to take off the headset, but with Rift it's super easy and real drivers also take off their helmets after a race...;)

Had the same reaction, but I think he was talking about the interface which can be annoying. I rank iRacing #1 for VR and AC a close #2 in terms of optimization.

If you think AC doesn't run well, try RaceRoom. :rolleyes:

Thanks all , turned out I changed the wrong initial file to 1.5, done now and a lot better. Am really enjoying it . The sensation of speed is like nothing I've ever experienced in a game. Still a bit blurry in the distance, but by the time you are in a race that doesn't matter much. I even won my first race on a pub server at Mugello too. Awesome. I wonder now how much I could improve if I upgraded to a 1080. Is it a step change or an incremental gain that won't get better until the resolution improves in the next gen VR sets?
Hi ya Bokonon, I went from a GTX-980 to a 1080Ti and now I run most settings at normal with PP on, I also have PPI @ 2.8 currently, but I'm still experimenting, the quality improvement for me was a leap not a step.
So, if you can afford a 1080Ti, I highly recommend one, but even a standard 1080 will see decent visual improvements, which just increases the immersion further.
Cheers:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi ya Bokonon, I went from a GTX-980 to a 1080Ti and now I run most settings at normal with PP on, I also have DPI @ 2.8 currently, but I'm still experimenting, the quality improvement for me was a leap not a step.
So, if you can afford a 1080Ti, I highly recommend one, but even a standard 1080 will see decent visual improvements, which just increases the immersion further.
Thanks man, I am seriously considering upgrading, it is a dangerous thought though I am now considering a CPU upgrade as well. I have been running a 2500k for 5 or six years now. Still running great, but it has gone from cutting edge to behind the curve. I might as well buy a case now and start modding it!

Thanks man, I am seriously considering upgrading, it is a dangerous thought though I am now considering a CPU upgrade as well. I have been running a 2500k for 5 or six years now. Still running great, but it has gone from cutting edge to behind the curve. I might as well buy a case now and start modding it!
Mate, sounds like a plan to me:thumbsup:. If you can afford the hard earned $$ to go all out on an upgrade, I highly recommend it. I upgraded some 14mths ago from 3700K & DDR3 ram, currently running a 6700K @ 4.4ghz water cooled, 16Gb DDR4 3200mhz ram via a Gigabyte Z170X gaming 5 mobo, Gigabyte 1080 xtreme Ti GPU, 850W PSU all housed in an oldish Coolermaster HAF-932 case running Win7 Ultimate 64bit, and it handles everything I throw at it, without an issue, final step will be Windows 10 (x64) retail version for the DX12 implementation, as Ive found some VR releases are Win10 specific.

It's an expensive prospect, no denying that, especially when you add the cost of the 1080Ti to the CPU RAM & Mobo upgrade, but one that's well worth it in the long run for pure gaming pleasure with the Rift, or even without for that matter.

Good luck with it, and happy Rifting mate:thumbsup:;)

Hi ya Bokonon, I went from a GTX-980 to a 1080Ti and now I run most settings at normal with PP on, I also have DPI @ 2.8 currently, but I'm still experimenting, the quality improvement for me was a leap not a step.

Can you give me your exact setting,i cant use more than 1.3 supersampling without reprojection kicking in.

Can you give me your exact setting,i cant use more than 1.3 supersampling without reprojection kicking in.
Yep sure can:thumbsup:

Display.JPG Effects.JPG Reflection.JPG

I know have my DPI set @ 3.0

I assume you dpi is supersampling.
With your settings depending on number of cars and weather i can pull 1.5 to 1.8 SS before repojection kick in.
At 1.6 with 20 AI cars i am around 87 fps average. (3 dropped frames per sec),i have disabled interleaved reprojection because when it kicks in it stays there.

Edit,oh i just noticed you have no reflections,i didnt turn them off,i am gonna turn them of to see if there is a perf difference.

Also,do you think that high PPI is worth it?

I assume you dpi is supersampling.
With your settings depending on number of cars and weather i can pull 1.5 to 1.8 SS before repojection kick in.
At 1.6 with 20 AI cars i am around 87 fps average. (3 dropped frames per sec),i have disabled interleaved reprojection because when it kicks in it stays there.

Edit,oh i just noticed you have no reflections,i didnt turn them off,i am gonna turn them of to see if there is a perf difference.

Also,do you think that high PPI is worth it?
Yes high PPI (pixels per display) helps, it will tighten the image per lens, removing the jaggies and making the image smoother and cleaner visually imo. Actually I owe an apology here, I wrote DPI when I meant PPI which I have @3.0 with the 1080Ti, my bad, should of proof read my OP:redface:
TBH I haven't actually done any offline racing with AI, I do all my racing online, guess I should try an AI event to see where the card is performing at it's best, and what settings are optimal. From what Ive read, most guys run around 12 AI, any higher seems to cause frame rate drops.
But from your info above, 20 AI and getting 87fps average is good numbers indeed:thumbsup:

Well my only concern is the ppi being low,i guess i need to try benchmark more online,but online is hard to get consistency.
Also i noticed that apps eating a LOT of performance so i now try to race only with the necessary ones.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back