Nvidia GTX 1060/Radeon 580

So, for the purposes of playing AMS, which of these cards would be best suited for racing titles, or AMS itself, as by and large it's all I play. I'm going to be coupling it with a Ryzen 5 I think as well. Any thoughts as to which combo would best suit my needs... I've not got mega bucks here, so I'm gaming on a budget.

Thanks

1060 gives you sparse grid supersampling which is absolutely awesome as you won't see any jaggies in AMS at all with it.
If you don't care so much for anti aliasing I'd go with the Radeon and maybe get a freesync monitor too (or in the future).
High and smooth fps are a nice thing for gaming and especially for racing!

If you don't care for both I'd go with the 1060 as it's way more efficient and won't generate so much heat :)

Well I've actually just bought a 144hz monitor and I can get it to around 137fps in a reasonably stable state. Obviously if grid sizes get bigger then that comes down to double figures. I guess that's where having a better processor comes in? Or again is that all just graphics card related?

I am going to resurrect this thread, guys. I have been looking to upgrade from gtx 970 to whatever is the next most logical choice: from reviews, feedback, value for money, etc. , it seems that 1060 is the way to go. However, I am still unsure about it's VR performance as all of my simracing is in VR now? So what do you guys say? Btw, GTX 1060 is on sale on Amazon right now going for 230 pounds, although I don't know how much it cost prior to bit coin "apocalypse".

With the current pricing I would go for a 1060 which won't give you a major boost but it also won't cost you much.
The alternative would be to see what's the difference for your stores between 1070/1070ti/1080. Here in Germany it's a small difference currently so you can either buy a 1070ti and overclock it or you buy a 1080. It will be around the same performance.

A 1080 however while being a lot more expensive than a 1060, will give you a big fat performance boost, ready for VR with good settings.

Hmm, thanks for the advice guys. A 1080 is too pricey at the moment, not to talk of 1080ti. Guess, I will sit out a couple of months until the prices come down, if they do at all.

Hmm, thanks for the advice guys. A 1080 is too pricey at the moment, not to talk of 1080ti. Guess, I will sit out a couple of months until the prices come down, if they do at all.
It's a gamble. Either the price will drop when the 20xx series floods the market or the new cards will be more expensive while the 10xx cards won't be available anymore.
Usually there's a short moment when you should buy the old cards. Be ready! :)

Or just buy a used card. Yes, it might break ofc but it's unlikely! All my ever broken cards where either replaced in the first few months or are still running in family or friends PCs!

It's a gamble. Either the price will drop when the 20xx series floods the market or the new cards will be more expensive while the 10xx cards won't be available anymore.
Usually there's a short moment when you should buy the old cards. Be ready! :)

Or just buy a used card. Yes, it might break ofc but it's unlikely! All my ever broken cards where either replaced in the first few months or are still running in family or friends PCs!
And when you say a "card replaced", you mean old ones that still had warranties on them?

And when you say a "card replaced", you mean old ones that still had warranties on them?
My 560ti and 970 were replaced under warranty, yes!
My 5700, 6600GT, 9800GT and 1070 are all running without problems :)

Same with my friend's cards. Either they broke during warranty, mostly early on or they would run until eternity.

Holy tosh! how many cards do you have :)

Anyway, I will see if someone is selling a 1070 or 1080 in HW section then.
Hehe well I got the geforce 5700 with my first PC my dad built for me. I was 12 years old so 2003!
It was still AGP so when my dad dropped me his old cpu (amd 64 4400+ hell yeah :D) I needed a pci-e card and bought myself a 6600gt.
Another 3 years later I dipped my toes into some modern games and bought me a 9800gt from the money I saved.

After I finished school battlefield 3 came out and my pc was ancient. Not even running trackmania fluently let alone battlefield 3!
So during the summer holidays I got myself a completely new pc!
I7 2600k (still rocking at 4.4 GHz overclock)
16gb ram
GeForce 560ti

The 560ti was a bit special though... First one broke with rainbow coloured artifacts etc after 3 weeks. The next one however had a known bug: the voltage for the lower clock speeds was too low. Gigabyte had a bios update ready but Gainward didn't.
I had driver crashes when not gaming every now and then. One month before warranty would've ended I decided to try my luck and ask Amazon for replacement and they just told me they would send me my money back.
I lol'ed and bought a 760 for 20€ more :)

Then a good friend asked me if I could be of help for buying a used mid class card. Sold him mine for a better price than most on ebay, invested 150€ on top and bought a 970 :p
Which broke with rainbow coloured artifacts after one month. Got a replacement again.

Funny thing: same story, different friend, 2 years later, 200€ investment.

I don't plan selling my 1070 though in the near future. Really nice card without any bugs or anything :)

Well, you asked. Hope that was a good bed time story! :D

I replaced the Nvidia 650 card in my second-hand Xeon W3550 3GHz PC with a 1050TI graphics card that cost just £130 (bought before the bitcoin boom). It runs AMS maxed out, although it struggles with night lighting, and gives me good results with Assetto Corsa and Raceroom. However, the CPU is now a bottleneck so my next, distant, upgrade will be an entirely new PC. In short, a 1050ti is good value for money but the more powerful 1060 and upwards would obviously be better.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back