Nvidia brings G-Sync support to FreeSync monitors

• Deleted member 197115

Don't forget to pick up Geforce 418.81, they have fixed a bunch of Freesync issues.

when I had triples and AMD, each of the monitors internal setup had to have freesync = ON, and then do the same on the windows radeon driver. Should be the same with nvidia, although the way they handle tipple screens is rudimentary compared to the awesomeness of amd eyefinity.

No doubt at least one of the Freesync monitors in the triple setup can be activated with GSync when in non-surround mode. In light of nvidia's release note that Gsync can only be active on one Freesync monitor at a time, it would be interesting to know whether Gsync is actually active once the single activated Freesync monitor is joined with the other two as a single Surround unit. nvidia Profile Inspector has an entry to enable "GSYNC - Indicator Overlay" which, on my Gsync monitors, puts a logo at the far left when a game is using Gsync.

Annotation 2019-02-07 025950.jpg

On my Dell S2716dg's (which are native Gsync monitors), each of the three can simultaneously have Gsync active prior to turning on Surround, and in games using Surround, the Gsync indicator shows up.

It would be really nice if Surround uses Gsync on all three Freesync monitors in a triple setup. Obviously, that would open up many more choices for triple setups . . .

I have 3 Freesycn screens (AOC C24G1) which work well, but not in Surround. Driver kicks them back to 60Hz.

It's stated in the release notes, only a single screen is currently supported. But how long would it take to support multiple.. I don't know.

I'm gonna take a look in the Profiler, might find something.

It works great on my triple 32"inch screens, they support freesync between 40 and 144hz.
Could even put details higher as framedips are much less apparent.

Richard, I'm curious about how you managed this on your triples.

EDIT:
I've been using a splitter, the one from EVGA: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=200-dp-1301-l1

With one DP from my card, I was able to have 3 screens on it. However, 2 were able to do 144Hz, the 3rd was stuck on 60Hz.
Now, I've tried by connecting them on the DP ports themselves, and now I can select 144Hz for all the three of the screens, and Surround works as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, DucMan888. When Surround is already enabled, do you have the option in nvidia Control Panel to turn GSync on and off? Also, in nvidia Profile Inspector, if you turn on the "GSync Indicator" for a specific game, or for the global profile, then run a sim in triple mode, does the GSync logo appear on the left during game play? That is the test of whether the nvidia card is actually varying the triples' refresh rate using Freesync.

It is an important distinction, because it very well could be that one monitor would be GSync enabled as a single monitor when not in surround, but when one monitor that is active GSync (through nvidia Control Panel) is combined with two that are not---either 1) They all become Gsync enabled as a unit, or 2) GSync is not active on any of them. It is clear that, as of now, Gsync can only be active through nvidia control panel on one Freesync monitor at a time.

For folks shopping for triples, this would be valuable info (which is impossible to find conclusively on the web)---for Freesync monitors are loads cheaper than GSync monitors. Gsync works in triples on GSync monitors; would be awesome if it actually works in triples on Freesync monitors.

Last edited:
Would really like to know the answer to the question above too as just about to get a new gpu. If Nvidia will do triple freesync then I'd get Nvidia for sure. If not then it would have to be AMD.

• Deleted member 197115

Works outstanding with my 4k 42" Wasabi Mango UHD420.
The model originally came without any FreeSync support and updated later via FW upgrade. Just show how easy and cheap these things can be done.
Shame on NVidia for walling this behind their expensive GSync.
Well, better late than never.
Hope HDMI support will come as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am doing handstands over this one :p .........recently brought 1440p Gsync :rolleyes:

LG Lifes Good ............:( lol
It maybe the case that your true g-sync works better than that freesync with g-sync drivers. My freesync monitor turns off momentarily when switching modes which gets a bit annoying from time to time and also shows some, non annoying to me, flickering with dark backgrounds when g-sync is active.

GEO47, what model monitors you running? If you turn on the Gsync Indicator in Nvidia Profile Inspector, does the GSYNC logo come on in game when running Surround?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.