Nvidia brings G-Sync support to FreeSync monitors

Has anyone with an nvidia GPU and triple freesync monitors tested whether adaptive sync can be enabled in Surround mode? The release notes indicate gsync can only be enabled on one screen at a time . . . but when the triples are combined into one screen (by surround), does freesync work?

Small note - adaptive sync is in my experience usually only available when running fullscreen, not in any form of window ( even borderless maximized window ), so that might be why some of you aren't seeing anything working.

Has anyone with an nvidia GPU and triple freesync monitors tested whether adaptive sync can be enabled in Surround mode? The release notes indicate gsync can only be enabled on one screen at a time . . . but when the triples are combined into one screen (by surround), does freesync work?

Seconded. It should work the same as g-sync really, it's the same adaptive sync in essence.

Yup, works for me with a ZX321QU (not officially supported). Set Freesync in the monitor, enable refresh rate OSD, select Monitor Tech = Gsync in the Nvidia control panel and the G-Sync menu options appears.

• Deleted member 197115

Pretty sure the Q9 also supports 1440P@120hz. This capability is not in the manuals. All you have to do is enable UHD for that particular HDMI port in external devices menu.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q9fn-q9f-q9-2018

Do you have an AMD card to try? Freesync option is selectable at any resolution for me.

Also, if your Q9 is like my NU8505, quality is much better when labeling the HDMI port to "game console". You gain some input latency, but its still very good. The "PC" label ruins the image quality in my TV.
Dan, I have done some extensive testing with different settings for PC. Turned out any non PC source does not do 4:4:4 chroma subsampling properly, that includes Game Console source.
You can make PC source less drab when using Dynamic preset (I think it raises white point) and using High local dimming, that increases contrast. Looks pretty good with these tweaks on Q9FN.
Also this is a good reference for settings.

Are you sure? because under PC mode, everything looks blurred. Its totally fixed by switching to game-console. Crystal clear, perfect detail and resolution, no 4:2:2 visible compression on white text. It seems like 4:4:4 if you ask me.
PC though, looks terrible and If I had to guess, the chroma is not 4:4:4.

• Deleted member 197115

Yes, just tested this morning. Again, your model is different, but on mine PC source has the sharpest text on red. And with Dynamic preset it's just as good as all other sources, Standard looks pretty grayish and depressing.

• Deleted member 197115

Something is definitely off. I remember reading your warning about not using PC mode with PC and indeed first time I've tried it, it was pretty colorless and drab, not remember what preset was on at that time.
Then after reading Rtings recommended settings for my TV https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q9fn-q9f-q9-2018/settings
I spotted this
To enable chroma subsampling when playing from a PC, set the input icon to 'PC' under the 'Input Device Manager' submenu. Note that when in PC Mode, a Sharpness setting of 10 corresponds to no added sharpness. Lowering the slider will soften the image.
Started doing some testing with different Source types against Chrome subsampling pattern and indeed PC mode had the sharpest text against red background.
In PC mode I have only two Picture presets available Dynamic and Standard, and switching to Dynamic and setting Local Dimming to High, as well as making sure that Sharpness is at least at 10, totally transformed picture. I could never make Destiny 2 look right on TV, now it has natural, deep and rich colors with very nice shadows details and good blacks. Same goes for FH4. This is with HDR on and off. There is some noticeably performance hit with on GTX 980 with HDR on so I usually keep it off.

I'll give it a shot later tonight. Another thing that improves going from PC -> Game console is the ghosting, which can be tested on blurbusters website. On PC mode , the top ufo test, there's a long black shadow following the ufo. On game-console its smaller.

a9K8AJ3.jpg

• Deleted member 197115

Dan, are you doing HDR from PC. Somehow I have found the whole experience quite wonky. When enabled in Windows, SDR looks pretty bad and HDR games are pretty dark, even after in game white and black points adjustments. Shadows open up when activating HDR+ mode on TV but that causes some color shifting and eye bleeding contrasty colors.
Thing are similar in PC or Game Console source type.
SDR in PC mode looks like 10 times better.
HDR from PS4 Pro seems to be working fine.

HDR+ is an emulation from SDR to HDR, so it should be always disabled, so i read in avforums.

About windows 10 HDR, when I enabled it in windows settings, the desktop becomes brighter, but inside the only game I play that has HDR (forza7 and BF1) its looks freaking amazing. I just make sure I calibrate the HDR brightness in the game menu and that is it.
I can't say they become dark. The highlights do become a lot brighter, so the contrast changes dramatically.

Dan, are you doing HDR from PC. Somehow I have found the whole experience quite wonky. When enabled in Windows, SDR looks pretty bad and HDR games are pretty dark, even after in game white and black points adjustments. Shadows open up when activating HDR+ mode on TV but that causes some color shifting and eye bleeding contrasty colors.

Www.avsforum.com for digging into setup. There will be an owners thread in the LCD section which will be quite detailed. I’d check there for optimal setup.

It works great on my triple 32"inch screens, they support freesync between 40 and 144hz.
Could even put details higher as framedips are much less apparent.

Thanks, Richard. That is good to hear. Can you tell whether G-Sync is active on all three screens or just the one screen on which it was active prior to turning on Surround?

• Deleted member 197115

Figured all that HDR out, I guess.
The formula that works best for SDR and HDR:
- PC Source type
- Game or Dynamic Preset. both have very close visuals with Game sporting super low latency, great for shooters. It also looks like Game mode has better performance in HDR, not sure why.
- Backlight to max
- Local dimming - High
- Adjusting white and black points in game settings.
- Windows HDR mode is only required for some games, guess UWP or DX12 only (Forzas) , others work just fine without turning it on and recognize TV as HDR.
- For SDR content make sure it is off as it does make colors look pale and lowers contrast

FH4 in HDR is just unbelievable, what a beauty, wish some more serious sims could run on that engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
My setup consists of an MSI Gaming GTX 1070ti with triple MSI Optix MAG27C monitors connected via Display Port on each. MSI lists both the GPU and monitors as being capable taking advantage of the updated nVidia driver for Freesync monitors to utilize the G-sync technology.
I have searched both MSI and nVidia for answers but found nothing relating to set up. In fact without reading a post in this thread by @David Turnbull, I would have been totally lost.
I updated the driver from the nVidia site, rebooted computer, opened the nVidia Control Panel within the Windows 10 Control Panel. Under Display in Setting Up G-sync, it showed as G-sync being enabled and configured as Surround. All looks good from there.
Question is the setup for the monitor shows as Freesync. Do I need to set that to 'YES'? Or does the nVidia driver know what it needs to do? I found no driver related to the monitor so not exactly sure as to what needs to be done, or anything more?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 260 13.5%