Normal maps in Richard Burns Rally

Hi

I have a question concerning what I wrote before here

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/btb-improvements.81438/page-3#post-1644320

I have found following screenshots in depths of my hard drive (attachments). Would it be possible to add such shaders to Bob Track Builder for Richard Burns Rally?
bump my ride.JPG
b5.JPG
low.JPG

Wow, I was out of touch with that for a long time, I didn't know new RTB tool appeared. I am stuck with Bobs Track Builder 0.8.0.0 and tried to edit shaders in FX directory after export but this is beyond my skills now. Now I read http://www.racetrackbuilder.com/Home/About that it doesn't output tracks straight to game like BTB but just produces FBX files. In this situation I guess maybe someone with shader programming knowledge could modify BTB .FX files to cover normal maps and maybe some additional reflection/roughness maps stuff. By the way I am interested only in Richard Burns Rally and no other game at all.

I've never exported to Rich B. Rally so I know nothing of the texture files that are used, except for the fact they came from BTB. If it's normals (Bump maps) you want BTB export them.

There are such files in RX_CONTENT\Tracks\TrackName\FX directory :

BTB_DiffuseSpecular.fx
BTB_DiffuseBumpSpecular.fx
BTB_DiffuseVertLerp.fx
BTB_DiffuseSpecularVertLerp.fx
BTB_DiffuseMultiplyAddVertLerp.fx
BTB_DiffuseMultiplyAdd.fx
BTB_DiffuseBumpVertLerp.fx
BTB_DiffuseBumpSpecularVertLerp.fx
BTB_Diffuse.fx
BTB_DiffuseBump.fx
scattering.h
fx.ini
sky.fx
clouds.fx

it's possible to edit them manually (text files). Some have "Bump" in their name but I don't see any bumps in game. Maybe someone could modify them so it would look for texture name given inside but with _NORMAL suffix, this way even people who didn't create already existing tracks would be able to upgrade them. I suppose some more advanced shaders could be possible (maybe some sun system)

I am working on my own BTB tracks including very big parking place playground with dragstrip, karting track, drift area, driving exam area etc

267.jpg

268.jpg

269.jpg

so I am very interested in bringing RBR shaders to modern standards. BTW using this occasion I would like to ask if someone could point me to engine sound edition tool. I am a sound engineer and I think about making a live vst-based mod which would add effects to engine sound (subbass after octaver etc)

Hi,
- Original RBR uses only Diffuse and Specular shaders. There are also textured and vertex shadows and texture blending possibilities (but I'm not sure if they are "shaders")

- RX_ plugin (BTB) uses Diffuse, Specular, Multiply and Bump (texture blending and multimaterial is allowed). I have never heard of textured and vertex paint (shadows) for RX_

- Additional maps made for native RBR format and exported from Wallaby Exporter (most common plugin here is "Czech plugin" - RBRTM) use only Diffuse shader (since DirectX there allows to use only one layer). Textured and vertex shadows are allowed though.

As far as I know, there is nobody in possesion of RBR original game source code and I don't know anybody who could "hack" into original game and do anything with shaders. And since RX_ has shader information specified in it's files, you can only experiment there, I think.

About engine sounds, there was some Japanese who could do this, I never had time to dig, I think the shortest way to find some info is to search YouTube for "Richard Burns Rally engine sound", there were some links for tutorials, but I;m afraid only in Japanese.

I hope it helps :)
M.

This is one more thing that is not available any longer. But there is a trick. You can add as water surface some texture with around 25% transparency and as the "reflection" use the same meshes, but mirrored upside down. Or add new meshes, looking more rough.
There could be also some other half-transparent texture for "bottom" of the pond or you can leave it empty - then "water" will get actual sky color. Unless you don't add any special dome with 360 degree sky, the original sky in RBR is a sphere around everything.
If you like to have special texture for your skydome, you can use that mirrored object as well.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back