No thanks for setup files

Calvyn White

Calv Killmore
You know what annoys me and many many others have tried to do the right thing is the lack of appreciation for the efforts that I and many others have done is sharing in the community.
Very very little expression is been put forward to those of which to shared their setups even knowing that may cost them the race.
I have shared setups, many dozens and can count the fingers on one hand of the thanks that I've had for the setups in way of a message in any thread.
I myself have begin to think like others, why bother. And just keep all the effort to yourself and reap the result of it. Like being called up for a league events elsewhere with sponsorship.
The total lack of gratitude for helping others is disheartening if not critical to the way they drive or the view they drive-in. If I haven't said it once I said it a half a dozen times I am no alien I get those times out of effort not from talent.
Years I have shared my setups and all I get in the way of appreciation if any, is a like. Very occasionally I may have a message of appreciation for my efforts to the community. Sooner or later I will become like the rest that one's shared will no longer.
And to think once there was a setup academy tutored buy me for raceroom that now for unknown reasons no longer exists.

Last edited:
You mean you don't? :p
I have a very large head full of utter bollocks, that on occasions even shocks me to the point of despair, so no, not even scratching the surface. :sneaky: Should all be thankful I'm a shy, introvert with fingers to stiff to type and the attention span of a barnacle on the arse of an under developed gnat.
Having far too much time on ones hands, adored by people who have no time, yet loathed by those that only have time. Think I might spend the afternoon examining the length of a piece of string. :sleep:

This actually kinda goes full circle, since Calvyn did a great series of "Setup Academy" sessions to basically teach people just that, as in how to go about creating a setup, what to look for and how to customize the setup to your liking, but then it sadly stopped (for reasons I know little about, so please understand that I'm not pointing fingers or blaming anyone here, I'm just saying it stopped). There also exists a recording of one such session, which could be shared with those that could not attend those sessions, but sadly it was never shared outside of people who participated in said session, which I think is a great loss to the community and I would like to take this opportunity to once again appeal to whoever it concerns (again, I have no idea who it is or what was the reasoning, so again not pointing fingers at anyone) for that to perhaps reconsider and give us the permission to share it. I think it would be very well received and help the community a great deal. Just my opinion.
Basically the only answer I can come up with in why the setup academy came to an end was simply the lack of communication. No one person at fault without being all at fault. But I do personally take some responsibility as it was my idea and I should have taken more care of it personally.
As for the recording of the session I have mixed feelings. As much as I feel that somebody can take the time. For which I am extremely grateful @Martin Fiala . I just don't know if it's good enough. And I'm referring to my work, not yours.
You asked me if you could release it. Which I consider extremely respectful. And I did not respond to that request as I was extremely frustrated and annoyed by the whole situation. The unnecessary death of the set-up academy IMO.
But now as far as I'm concerned you have my full permission to release the the session recording. Despite the probability of negativity which has been stated this is now become the norm. And I don't like it I don't like the mentality when one reads a post and is already geared to disagree with it "just for the sake of disagreeing". I'm a fairly old fart and I do believe what my grandmother said to me and I quote, if you can't say anything nice about somebody or something it's probably best not to say anything at all.

So Martin if you want to post the session recording go right ahead.
And I hope it helps others.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
@Calvyn White Well, I certainly hope I wasn't too annoying/insisting regarding the Setup Academy recording to kinda "pressure" you into agreeing, but then again it *did* come to my mind on multiple occassions in the past months and I was thinking it really is a shame more people can't listen to it and learn. So I just thought this to be a good opportunity to perhaps appeal one more time to whoever it might concern (and just to reiterate one more time, I really had no idea about what happened "in the background", so to speak, so it wasn't really aimed specifically at you). So I guess this is one of those opportunities where a fairly simple reaction emoticon is not enough and a proper thank you is in order. So - thank you.

And just to add something in regards to your grandmother's wisdom - I think it's a good approach to have, yes, because we should always be mindful of what we are saying and how, and strive to be polite and constructive and not just spout negativity at will. *But* that kind of sentiment is also kind of a double edged sword - because we can't always just say nice things about stuff and keep the bad things to ourselves, as the only way to improve things is talk about the bad stuff as well as the good stuff, and talk about it publicly if it concerns public things. Just saying nice things generally doesn't solve/improve/advance much, and sometimes keeping bad things to yourself might even have a fairly nasty tendency of getting back to you and/or blowing up on you. But obviously, just saying bad things also isn't very constructive or helpful. In other words - extremes are never good either and the best way to go forward is to find a healthy balance between the two sides of things.

Giving a thank you or a compliment is a way of showing your appreciation and giving some respect. So this one still goes as I 'learned' (or is it DNA?) many many years ago.

GRGR.jpg

PS As a couple of the members play guitar is it an idea to start a RD band. Cheers.

Edit: Thread title changed as I object to the suggestion that there is no "community spirit" here on RD, as it in fact exists with abundance.
Woh, Ross, c'mon. Can't believe you changed the thread title. While I otherwise agree with what you said, Calvyn has an equal right as a member to express himself, even if it's not what I like or think. The staff, including Ross and the many others, do a fantastic job of keeping things running here at RD, in harmony, and I must admit I'm more thankful because I know I could never do such a great job, but let'im air his opinions.

I have some impressions, too, so not to judge Calvyn's by mine, but it is entirely possible he thinks on both sides of brain (I'm not sure if I've worked that out yet...:redface:).... Possibly there's something we can do to improve things? I just wish someone would teach me how to race! :x3:

Woh, Ross, c'mon. Can't believe you changed the thread title.
No reason to be conserned here.
Such kind of friendly moderation does actually just show how great the community spirit and comradery is here.
This change in the title is ofcourse just a help to the OP so his point can stand clearer for all of us.
It has absolutely nothing to do with any censorship aimed at suppressing unwanted and inconvenient opinions.
Because that would ofcourse be bad - mkey

As you know, I'd be lost without the setup stats you have postin the past @Calvyn White. What a shame it is that I've been late to the '''party' and missed the academy thing. Any chance it might get resurrected in the future?
As much as I enjoyed doing it I am saddened that im no longer not. The only thing I can say on it in the way of IT return is if I was made a staff member and put in charge of the running of setup academy. And when I mean is posting the events setting up the server accordingly, car, track, times, etc. No offence to the staff involved but this will cut out the problem of that lack of communication. Basically cutting out the middleman between the event and myself. But I feel there's absolutely no chance on gods green earth that's going to happen. I did ask for this before the actual start of the set-up academy but it was suggested to me to wait and see. And here we are.
As for the reasons it's stopped I'm not really sure I can only speculate such as, wrong information given, not knowing what I'm talking about, went on for twice as long as it should,( which I and no one else had a problem with). I'm sure there is probably a dozen more possibilities but the end of the day nobody is told me, nobody has comb to me and explained anything.

But if there's anything I can do to help just p.m. me.:thumbsup:

As for the "now" titled no thanks for setups. Which I actually find more negative to the community than what it was originally.
There is appreciation there is thanks. What there isn't more people having the ability to contribute such as I to the community. This is up to them of course and I can respect it. But it doesn't mean I like it. I suppose it's my problem and in having higher expectations the necessary. As I do feel many regulars and visitors to raceroom club events have a good idea how to make a reasonably good setup. My setups are made for me sometimes my setups work better for others. Its been known that people can make my setups go faster then I can get it myself. And others fine them impossible to use. So I see other people setups helping others to be a little bit quicker. So no I don't feel that im putting the community down I think it's a great community and I think and I hope others can contribute to the community as I have tried. And still trying.
I don't see the problem in expressing disappointment in the failure of encouraging others to do the same as me. Like I said I wish people would share more information setups etc but if they don't want to that's that's fine by me, disappointing yes. Life must go on.
But I will be the first to show the gratitude for those that do. As all that use other people's hard work, should.:thumbsup:
As respect is earned, not givin.;)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back