Niki Lauda Leaves Hospital 2 Months After Lung Transplant

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Niki Lauda out of hospital.jpg

Austrian Grand Prix legend and Mercedes non-executive Chairman Niki Lauda has finally left hospital following a major lung operation held back in August.

Lauda, 69, has spent the past two months recuperating from a significant operation to replace his failing lungs following a period of illness whilst holidaying in Ibiza earlier this year. Having successfully received his lung transplant, a relatively common but still risky procedure, it has been reported that the 1975, 77 and '84 World Champion has been allowed to leave the AKH Vienna Hospital to continue his recuperation at home in Austria.

Confirmed via the Mercedes F1 social media channel today, Lauda still has an intense period of recovery ahead of him before a potential return to the Formula One paddock is possible.

Niki Lauda .jpg

A good news story indeed, the Formula One circus is certainly a poorer place without his often controversial presence!

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Marvel should sign Niki up. He's the closest thing we have to an indestructible superhero :)

Posted pic is far too weird btw. First time I've ever seen him smile.... Grumpy Lauda or GTFO.

Great man , actually he is my leaving hero (plus Mansell :D ) , he will recover fast !:inlove:
when i saw AMG's post on Instagram i was frozen for a little while until i saw it's a good news

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back