Next Car Game: Wreckfest Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ncg.jpg

Bugbear Entertainment, developers of popular smash 'n' crash title Next Car Game: Wreckfest have released their latest update to the Steam title, bringing the game a number of tweaks and optimizations as well as adding a new Work in Progress Rally Cross track for racers to enjoy.

The titles growing online fanbase will be particularly pleased to hear that the developers have responded to community requests and provided a dedicated server performance optimisation as well as further improvements to grass and shadow rendering performance, increased usability of settings features and numerous improvements and fixes to back end game engine features.

Running in 64 bit has historically caused performance issues with a number of users and the developers seem to have gone some way to alleviating the problems with further enhancements to "effect level-of-detail models to improve performance" alongside other optimizations.

Founded in 2000, Bugbear Entertainment are an independent developer responsible for such titles as FlatOut series (FlatOut, FlatOut 2, FlatOut Ultimate Carnage), Sega Rally PSP, Glimmerati, Tough Trucks, Rally Trophy, Ridge Racer Unbounded.

Next Car Game: Wreakfest is a demolition derby themed racing game with soft-body damage featuring realistic handling and fully up gradable (and smashable!) vehicles. Currently in Early Access the title is available to purchase through the Steam platform.

Full update changelog can be found below:
  • Added Mixed 2, a new rally-cross type track.
  • Optimized dedicated server CPU usage.
  • Improved visual damage scaling with network lag.
  • Improved tyre model and suspension setups.
  • Tweaked gamepad and keyboard controller.
  • Added effect level-of-detail models to improve performance.
  • Laps are no longer count when driving in the center of Speedway 2 Inner Oval.
  • Improved Racing 2 environment and art.
  • Added additional sound effects to user interface.
  • Added two new tabs to options (Graphics and Gameplay) with settings split from the previous Display tab.
  • Added volume sliders for garage ambient sounds and interface sound effects.
  • Grass setting now affects density too, and all quality levels perform faster.
  • Optimized shadow quality settings and added one more level.
  • Fixed a bug in the particle quality setting.
  • Made low quality cubemap slightly faster.
  • Made some more settings changeable on-the-fly.

Do you enjoy crashing into your fellow racers in Wreckfest? Let us know what you think of this latest update in the comments section below!
lawn_mower.png ncg 1.jpg ncg 2.jpg ncg 3.jpg ncg 4.jpg ncg 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent a few months addicted to this game for sheer online fun. At the time there was a bit of a divide in the community between those who wanted clean racing and those who wanted to smash up. I found myself somewhere in the middle of that spectrum and therefore hated by everyone.

The devs have now woken up it was a ghost town for months, but now with recent patches things are back on track. This is very much simcade so don't expect good driving physics, but the damage is realistic now. My issue is the heavy graphics with my old card unless you have a good GTX gpu you the FPS is a killer, I can only get 20fps !!

I find it best to chill out an do the destruction derby's

This game had a great start, but then it just kind of fizzled, so I'm glad to see the devs are at it again. They added a riding lawnmower for racing and it's actually kind of fun to drive. The rag-doll physics are funny to watch as your competitors die along the track. They need to work on the lawnmower AI a little more because all your competitors are usually dead before the race ends. It also needs work on the FFB, but overall it is mindless fun and a blast to watch the parts and bodies go flying.

This is the perfect game for some Spedeworth (UK Short Oval) Bangers!

I've enjoyed following and playing through its growth, from the start I never took it seriously and treated it as a bit of a fun smash 'em game, loving every minute of it.

Only thing that bugs me....the Pre-Alpha nonsense at the start, this game has been good enough as a Release Candidate for some time now.

This is the perfect game for some Spedeworth (UK Short Oval) Bangers!

I've enjoyed following and playing through its growth, from the start I never took it seriously and treated it as a bit of a fun smash 'em game, loving every minute of it.

Only thing that bugs me....the Pre-Alpha nonsense at the start, this game has been good enough as a Release Candidate for some time now.

Playable enough certainly, but an RC, maybe even a beta, would be feature complete and by their own admission, this game has more features to add before release.

I love this game. I actually dont even use my wheel for this game. Too much crashing :)

Also, has anyone had an experience with BeamNG.drive? It has been on my wishlist for a while.

Last edited:
@Paul Jeffrey, is it possible for us to have a premium event or two in this game?
Now that is a blinkin' good idea :D:thumbsup:

@Bram @Dave Stephenson - Think it might be possible guys?
Agreed because what could be more fun than doing the exact opposite of what we're supposed to do in every other premium event hehe (crash into each other like crazy)

I'll take a look at what's required and what we can do. I bought this myself on Steam some time ago and still haven't got around to taking it for a spin so maybe now's a good time ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back