New Formula Two Car to Feature Halo Design, Pictures Revealed

My major gripe about the halo is that it's either going to have to be way too high to make a difference or it's going to be in front of the driver's eyes. Plus in case of the necessity of an emergency exit, it's going to get in the way. I predict more harm than good, but I also predict it won't come into play

Looks like an intresting concept for the car, can't help but think this was designed along with Brawn as a "what should have happened" for F1, or a prelude of what is to come. Larger turbo V6 with less tech, limited numbers of elements on the front wings to reduce wake sensitivity and provide closer racing. Halo because FIA. Possibly the F1 "upgrade" would be 'old style' Kers to give another 200-300bhp and underbody downforce/ground effect to up the grip compared to F2??

As much as I have always been a F1 fanatic, this year is the last year of watching it. The Halo might be a great safety idea and might prevent the 1 in 10000 fatal or near fatal accident but then again so would an armoured car. So for me that's it. I would have preferred a glass cockpit. It is my choice and it's what I am going to do. Perhaps Indycar may be better to watch. :(

Cultural Marxism doing everything it can to turn off people from being interested in cars. Risk averse culture being pushed under the false guise of safety. Nothing is safer than no racing at all, or better yet no cars or bikes even. No wonder why the single seaters are the most under attack either, as the car, any car but particularly a single seater, stands as the ultimate symbol of individual freedom.

Well why not run without HANS as well, surely it restricts individual freedom too? And what about seatbelts? Back in the days no driver would have accepted to wear a device that restricts your head movement, but I hear no complaints about that today from either drivers or fans.

• Deleted member 205301

I won't talk about the Halo, that's an old-to-date subject...
My care is about the upgraded aero on this new F2... It will make the car faster (and closer to actual F1), but... will make close racing difficult (like a modern F1) ... Honestly why people loves F2 ? 'cause of these incredible fight, wheel to wheel, now it's gone...:( ..(but I will continue to be a fan)
..Secondly, I don't really understand the engine choice ..a 3.4L v6 mono-turbo ...If I understand well, the turbo won't give much power (the old 4.0L v8 atmo give 612cv ...so, it's a 15.3cv per .01L ...so the turbo in the 2018 engine is a boost around 100cv...) It'd rather see a 3.0L v6 with bigger turbo...but the compromise is interesting (and so logical)
By the way, it's certainly the best moment for drivers for going in F2 (Lando ?!), really curious about how teams will work with this new car, impatient in fact :)
...just to finish : is anyone having some info concerning the awaited fusion F3/GP3 ? is a deal signed ? or still continue with the 2 series (each one having trouble to have a full grid)..
@++

• Deleted member 205301

Well why not run without HANS as well, surely it restricts individual freedom too? And what about seatbelts? Back in the days no driver would have accepted to wear a device that restricts your head movement, but I hear no complaints about that today from either drivers or fans.
...To be honest, I personaly protest (with lots of other drivers) about the hans when it become "obligatory" in all series...but that was not a question of "liberty", just a question of "money" (You certainly understand that for a poor amateur driver like me and lot of others, the hans was "again" a big cost of money...)
...Now I'would certainly feel "insecured" if I drive without it ;) ....and that will be the same for halo.
@++

...To be honest, I personaly protest (with lots of other drivers) about the hans when it become "obligatory" in all series...but that was not a question of "liberty", just a question of "money" (You certainly understand that for a poor amateur driver like me and lot of others, the hans was "again" a big cost of money...)
...Now I'would certainly feel "insecured" if I drive without it ;) ....and that will be the same for halo.
@++
Why do you type like that?

Now that the "newness" of the halo is wearing off and I'm getting more used to seeing it... I find the nose on this car uglier than the halo

Halo on Justin Wilson's car? Same result. Halo on Massa's car? Same result. Jules? Same. Wheldon? Same. Not all fans are lemmings. Many have already left. Such a shame, since they really nailed the car design this year.
agree, the only case i can remember where the halo could have save a life is Ayrton senna's accident
but correct me if i'm wrong but since that the tyres are now "linked" , "attached" to the car ? (dont know how to say that in english, i hope it's still understandable )
so what is the point ?
i dont know where FIA and jean todt want to go with that halo thing .
Mr Jean todt is a calamity for Formula one.
we need someone else.

Every decision he made was bullshit
Those Hybrid system power unit are a non sense in formula one.
See what happened to Fernando when he passed through pouhon flat out, it's a shame, really, laughable at least
those system are too much complicated, and to be honest we ****ing don't care.
give us a thermic turbo 1.5 liter 1500 cv, or a V8, V10 or V12 4 liters, reduce downforce and let these gentlemens on track do the rest.
Back to the eighties please...

Last edited:
TBH, how the halo looks shouldn't be prioritized. Function and practicability is what is needed. It isn't a supercar meant to look as cool as possible, it's a race car that is supposed to go as fast as possible and be as safe as possible.

Why don't they start building better helmets instead of this not very usefull flip-flops?
The Helmet is attached/worn by a driver. Regardless of how good the helmets are a direct impact is still devastating. Similar to Kevlar vests, it will stop the bullet but cause massive bruising and possible a cracked ribs. The Helmet would have to shield the driver from the effects of G force and at this point in time nothing has been invented that can negate G force that can be incorporated into a racing helmet. Let alone if its been invented at all or how expensive it would be.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back